Search

solo in NYC

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2008, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
solo in NYC

I am going solo to NYC in October for my birthday. I plan on taking several guided tours (SATC, Pizza tour of Brooklyn, etc) so I won't be alone so much. Where should I dine to get a)best NYC experience and b) not feel weird being alone?
I have travelled alone before, but dining out is always the hardest part.
I would love to go to Harlem, too. Is it best seen on a tour or just walking around? I am intersted in the history/architecture of the place.
Thanks for all your recommendations!
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 08:42 AM

For Harlem, it would probably be best to take a tour, although Harlem is getting better there are still a few dodgy parts that are probably best not to wander in. You might enjoy seeing City College which is at Amsterdam and 137th St.

There are SO MANY restaurants in Manhattan, so you won't have a problem finding something to your liking anywhere your travels take you. I'd suggest picking up a Zagat guide as a handy reference and checking with www.menupages for more suggestions as well.

Be happy to meet up for coffee while you are here, and if you have any more questions, let me know.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 09:18 AM

A friend of mine who travels alone alot often eats at the bar rather than a atable. (I don;t mena IN a bar - I mena in a restaurants, but sitting at the bar - where they usually serve meals - and it gives you a chance to meet/talk to people.

Frankly I can think of nothing more obring thatn those tours - I would want to see the real city - as in the major sights - not ride around in a bus all day.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 09:20 AM

New Yorkers dine alone frequently .. you can sit at the bar or some restaurants have communal tables. Just be sure to avoid the tourist restaurants.

You have THOUSANDS of options, and there are MANY threads on this forum that discuss NYC restaurants, so do a search.

Enjoy!
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 10:28 AM

There are dozens of previous posts on the subject. Here are 4 recent ones

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=35137471

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=35133964

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=35119129

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=35106533

I agree with you about dining being the worst part of traveling alone and I can tell you it's really easy in NYC. If you want to talk to people, eating at the bar is a good idea. If you'd rather not, bring a book or newspaper or a journal to write in and don't worry.

If you'd like to meet some people to perhaps have some company, I suggest you book these tours early in your trip. You may find some friends for dining. You can also ask if there's anyone interested in a get together from the forum while you're in town.
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 10:32 AM

I agree that sitting at a bar to eat is a great singles option and may help you not to feel so isolated. In fact, my 'complaint' is that so many people eat at the bars in so many good restaurants that you can't sit at the bar just to get a drink. Union Square Cafe comes to mind, where they always make us wait for our reservation, but you can't sit at the bar to have a drink and wait because it is always filled with diners eating. But that said, I really don't think most NYC restaurants give you the "stare" or even bat an eye if you request a single table if you prefer. And if you really want to play foodie, you might seek out one of the places with a chef's table.

We did our own walking tour of Harlem (focusing on architecture and art galleries) a couple years ago -- I think it was from "Insights" guide. But admittedly, you can get a lot more information and "learning" from an organized walking tour.
Old Jul 29th, 2008, 07:22 PM

I don't live far from Manhattan and go in alone often. I have eaten at an Aghani restaurant which I am having trouble finding again, and Indian by myself. If you go up by the United Nations by the 17t pct, there are many different restaurants to eat in. In fact, I'm going this weekend for a new find. Email me and I'll let you know where I went and how it was.
Old Jul 29th, 2008, 10:08 PM

When I travel with my husband on business and find myself dining alone, I would agree that dining at the bar is a great idea, but even better is an outdoor table, where you can enjoy just watching the passing parade.
Old Jul 29th, 2008, 10:15 PM

October is a big birthday month, and mine is the 28th, and I'm going to be,,,,,,,well,,,a year older, lol.

Let us know if you have any other questions.