Snow in March in Steamboat?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2006, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are considering our first family trip to Colorado. Kids are 4 and 6. We were thinking Steamboat. But am starting to think Breckenridge might be better. We will be there March 12-20. The only reason I would pick Breck over SB is the higher altitude and not so southern facing slopes might be a better bet for snow. We are staying in a ski in/out and know that wont be that great if there is not much snow. Should I even be concerned with no snow in Steamboat in mid March? When does it normally start getting slushy? We have been to Breck in March in the 90s and snow was great.

Thank you so much!
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 05:03 PM

snow should be outstanding in steamboat in march. i would not change your plans. steamboat is a very fun town! they have 210" as of today.
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 05:08 PM

We've gone skiing in March in Steamboat a bunch of times, and the conditions have always been great. Steamboat is known as the place with champagne powder, and we've always found that to be true. Probably near the end of the day, the bottom of either resort tends to get mushy in March, but to be honest, I can't remember that being the case in Steamboat. That probably means that it probably was mushy, just not badly so. As another benefit, there are probably fewer Spring-break types in Steamboat than in Breck at that time of year.
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! We will be staying at Torian Plum and I will want to take advantage of the ski in/out. I am not that great of a skier, so I need all the powder I can get to cushion the falls

Another question...Is there a ski school on that part of the mountain or do we need to go else where for the kids lessons?
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 08:53 PM

Unlike Breckenridge, Steamboat only has one base area, and one ski school. It's in the building that houses the gondola, on the ground level. It will be a breeze to get to from the Torian Plum.

While Breck is the place we ski the most, Steamboat is one of our family's favorites. The town is more of a real western town, and because it's further from Denver and the Denver-based skiers, there are less crowds and glitz.

If you want a day or half a day without skiing, consider Strawberry Hot Springs. It's a hot springs outside of town; you'll need to take a van to it (lots of companies offer transportation to Strawberry Hot Springs). It's not a swimming pool, but instead, a real outdoor area, and beautiful in the winter (and summer). There are several linked pools, with varying degrees of temperature. I don't that I'm describing it very well, so here is the web site: http://www.strawberryhotsprings.com/2005/index.php. My kids love it too, but after dark is for adults, so you'll need to go during daylight with them.

And another FYI, our family favorite for dinner is La Montana, which is a southwestern restaurant a block or so from the ski resort base. Good food, and the kids will love the tortilla-making machine. They only run the machine on certain nights; call to check which nights those are (I can't remember).