Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is late March too late to ski at Sundance?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2005, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We may be traveling to Utah with another family for spring break 2006. We have been looking at this cabin in Sundance:

http://www.vrbo.com/29698

I emailed the owner to ask about availability and the price he quoted me for that time period seems awfully low, $250/night for all 8 of us. Why are we getting such a low rate? Is that a bad time for Sundance? If so, how far away are the resorts that would still have good ski conditions?

Thanks~
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 08:38 AM

Hi Jocelyn,

I learned to ski at Sundance and have a warm spot in my heart for the area. It is one of the most beautiful places in the world!

However, it is a relatively small resort. Just 3 lifts, lots of great beginner and intermed skiing. Some advanced. It is a bit lower in altitude than the other Utah areas, so it does have a shorter season. Normally March is just fine, but since you are taking spring break, exactly when is that for you?

Sundance is very relaxing. One of the best restaurants in Utah - the Tree Room, not cheap and res required. NO nightlife or much else in the way of other activities. Snowshoeing, snowmobiling is all.

It would be an hour or more to the other ski areas, either in Park City or Big or Little Cottonwood Canyons.

I can't tell you if the price of the cabin is too low or not. You would have to compare it to other properties at Sundance.

Good luck!
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Dayle. I am concerned about the price because on their webpage they list the prices as $400-$600/night. Why such a discount? We would be there March 19-25 or so.

My husband has skied at Sundance and loved it, although that was in January. We would bring our kids this time, ages 4 and 6. Our friends who would go with us have kids the same age, so I envision ski school for them and lots of quality family time in the snow. No nightlife required.
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 08:54 AM
dcespedes

Hi Joc! We love Sundance. The last time we stayed there was Feb 29 - March 5th, 2000. There was plenty of snow, great skiing with one or two days of fresh powder. Sundance is one of our all time favorite resorts--we keep hoping to return but... the mountain suite featured in the picture is the last place we stayed. Large master w/fireplace; separate living area and above the kitchen is a loft with pull out sofa though I seriously doubt it would accommodate 8 people!
http://www.sundanceresort.com/lodging_mtn_suites.htm

$250 a night seems like a steal for a cabin relatively speaking but you've been known to get the best deals! ;-)

Old Aug 1st, 2005, 01:25 PM

Hi again Joc,

Well now knowing the ages of your kids, I think Sundance will be perfect for you! Grab that cabin and have a great time! The skiing should still be fine. Our drought was officially over this winter and Snowbird stayed open until 4th of July!
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 01:32 PM

We went skiing last March at Sundance and it was wonderful. I love that place.
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much! We will be putting a deposit down on the cabin in Sundance.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 10:13 AM

Jocelyn, we had already booked our Park City accomodations for our March 2006 ski trip when I saw this same cabin on VRBO. Do post a trip report when you return - this looks like a great spot. We've skied Sundance in March many years with plenty of snow. As others have said, this is a great resort for children.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 11:14 AM

RSSmith--fyi, she cancelled that trip in favor of visiting a plantation in LA with her family.