Snorkeling in the Keys

Search

Snorkeling in the Keys

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 12:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snorkeling in the Keys

We are traveling to the Keys in mid June and are looking for the best places to snorkel. Done quite a bit of reading, and it looks like Pennekamp and Looe Key are not to be missed. Also wondering if it is better to access the reefs from tours through the parks (Pennekamp and Bahia Honda), or to go through a commercial charter? Any hints--we are interested in a "snorkel-only" boat. Is there a better time of day to go out?

We are also interested in any tips on activities that will get us close to nature, like particular canoe trips.

We are staying at Hawks Cay Resort and will be in the Keys for a week. This is our third family trip to Florida, but our first to the Keys.

Thank you!
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 04:20 AM

I normally take my own boat out, but I have done trips organized by the Parks AND commericial. I prefer the Parks' trips, but I'm not really sure why.

I prefer to go out first thing in the morning, since it's always much less crowded. But keep an eye on the weather. Choppy seas makes snorkeling a challenge.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 04:37 AM

Generally the park and private boats go to many of the same reefs, so there isn't much difference. I would go in the morning, as that gives you the best chance of light winds and avoiding afternoon thunderstorms, in addition to begin less crowded as Jack indicated. There are canoe trips (or at least canoe rentals) throughout the upper keys, and you could also take an "eco-tour" of the backcountry which would be a nice introduction to the flora and fuana of the area before perhaps renting a canoe and striking out on your own. And it also sounds like a visit to the wild bird rehabilitation center in Tavernier would be right up your alley. Have fun.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your advice! Any thoughts on restaurants near Duck Key?

Old Jul 1st, 2004, 09:46 AM

I'd be interested to know what you thought of Hawks Cay Resort. We are thinking about staying there in th fall.
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 08:06 PM

I have just started thinking about a trip the Keys the first week in December. What is the weather like then? Any possibility of snorkeling then? Also would like info on Hawks Cay Resort. Thanks
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 09:23 AM

recently planned a trip back to Hawks Cay. we'll be going in February and this time bringing friends with us. this is a favorite place of ours. we like the Keys and Hawks Cay is a great way to kick back and absorb the Keys atmosphere. it IS a busy place, for sure, but on the plus side it's all right there: pools, restaurants, a spa, a fitness center,shops, dolphin programs and off site snorkeling trips, kayaking, parasailing, sunset sails......i wish i didn't have to wait 7 months to get back down there.
the snorkeling trip that we took left from the Hawk's Cay docks and we went out to sea about 45 minutes away to a nice coral reef. had plenty of time to snorkel and enjoy the underwater scenery. this was a snorkel only boat and we went in the afternoon. visibility happened to be excellent and it was fairly calm. i would do it again. Hawk's Cay also offers kayaking trips and i plan to try that when we go in February. There are several restaurants on site and they are fine, but there are good restaurants off the premises, so that's why having a rental car is a plus. The resort really has something for everyone (i particularly like the recent addition of a full service spa). i highly recommend it!
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 01:54 PM

Looe Key is better diving than snorkeling - Sombrero reef - best snorkeling in the keys - was tere last july, live in Boca Raton 20 yrs ago and have dove/snorkeled all over the Keys. Bananna Bay (key) has charter dive/snorkel boats which go to Sombrero reef.
Have fun!
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 07:44 PM

We are moving to Florida this summer, and wanted to snorkel (and potentially dive, once we learn how) in the Keys. So I picked up Lonely Planet's "Diving and Snorkeling Florida Keys." It's fabulous and very detailed. It tells you whether the spots are good for snorkeling, novice divers, experienced divers, and/or expert divers. I found it extremely useful - but of course I can't yet say how useful it is "on the ground" or should I say "in the water."