Florida Keys Snorkeling Adventure

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2007, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a trip to the Keys to go snorkeling mid-July and would like to know where the best snorkeling spots are and with that information find the most reasonable lodging in that area. Based on what we have found so far, we are looking at John Pennekamp Underwater Coral Reef Park in Key Largo and the Islamorada area. Has anyone stayed at the Bayside Cay Club in Key Largo or the Islamorada Cay Club or LaSiesta Resort in Islamorada? What about snorkel charters in these area? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 11:42 AM

I would recommend going to a search engine, such as Google, and typing in something like "snorkeling charters in the Florida Keys."
I have also heard Bahia Honda is supposed to be a wonderful place.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 01:03 PM

We snorkeled with a charter from Sunny Days Catamarans out of Key West a few years ago. It was great. It took us to two different spots, on I think was Sandy Key.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 08:55 PM

As for snorkeling, John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park is located in Key Largo, and is very well known for it's underwater trail. Locally you'll find all sorts of dive shops, boat charters, rentals, and camping if you so wanted. Here's a link which will give you some details:
http://www.floridastateparks.org/pennekamp/default.cfm
Bahia Honda is a very nice State Park as well, however for snorkeling I'd say keep John Pennekamp as your 1 st choice. Hope you have a great and safe trip, the Lord bless you!

Joe,
http://josevega.topcities.com
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 05:48 AM

I think Key Largo and Islamorada do have the best snorkelling in the Keys. I would take your first trip with the state boat out of Pennekamp state park. But if you are going to be in the Keys for several days, then also book on private boats that go outside Pennekamp.
Islamorada Cay Club must be a new name for the hotel (Cay Club has been buying lots of places in the Keys). The one review on tripadvisor is awful - I can't figure out, though, what this used to be. The Bayside Cay Club gets better reviews. It is a nice location (beautiful sunsets) and next to a restaurant we often go to by boat. You might want to look at Dove Creek Lodge. It's 2 years old and very nice. It may be a few dollars more than the places you are looking at but it will make your visit very enjoyable.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 06:45 AM

Don't go out if it is windy or wavey. It takes all the fun out of snorkeling.

Keith