Search

Fishing in the Keys

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2003, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fishing in the Keys

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are going to SoBe and the Keys for 2 weeks next May. He is an avid fisherman and really wants to do some fishing while we are in the Keys. I was wondering if anyone out there could give me any advice on where the best places are to fish and some kind of idea of the price. If you know of any certain fishing guides that would be great information too.

We also would like to do some snorkeling and have our own equipment. Are there any places in the Keys where we can go on our own that are really good? Or would we be better off taking a tour or something?

We are more independent travelers and would prefer to do our own thing so I am just curious if that's possible.

Thanks so much!

Old Nov 11th, 2003, 12:32 PM

What does he like to fish for? When we were in Marathon, my husband used Rode Runner - http://www.tarponguaranteed.com/. Hooked a tarpon and fought it for 55 minutes. It is true what they say in their website, you only go out to under the 7 mile bridge, so just a short ride from the dock.

As to snorkeling, you can snorkel from the beach at Pennekamp State Park in Key Largo, but would recommend taking a snorkel boat as the better reefs are further offshore. Molasses Reef was our favorite. Sites are shallow enough you can usually have divers and snorkelers aboard.
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Hi Cruisin Tigger,

Thanks! When we are at home in Seattle he fishes for Salmon so I think when we get to FL he's going to want to fish for Marlin and the other big fish. I think we are planning to divide our time between Islamorada, Key Largo, and Key West but I don't know how much time to spend in each place and where the fishing is the best. Other than fishing we will just be sunbathing and trying to find some nightlife at night.

Any recommendations you could give would be great, thanks!

Old Nov 11th, 2003, 01:59 PM

I think the best fishing is in the middle Keys and the only good night life in the Keys is in Key West.
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Where are the middle Keys?
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 04:12 PM

The Middle Keys are centered around Marathon (mm 50). Key Largo (mm 100)and Islamorada (mm 88) are Upper Keys. Key West is mm 0.

There are several kinds of fishing in the Keys. You can charter a boat to the Gulf Stream for marlin and dolphin (fish, not Flipper) for $500 - $800 per day. Tarpon fishing should be available in May. Your husband may be interested in trying flats fishing with fly rods. Former Pres. Bush often flats fishes out of Islamorada for bonefish. Tarpon, backcounty and flats are $300 - $500 a day. Check out the Holiday Isle website for a description of the fishing, prices and guides.
I would not stay in Key Largo and Islamorada. They are too close together. For fishing, I would pick Islamorada. Cheeca Lodge is a great resort and would have guide recommendations. World Wide Sportsman is across the street and should be interesting to your fishing husband.
As to snorkelling, you must go off shore to do this. There is no reef near shore.
Think about renting a boat and exploring the back country one day. You could picnic, snorkel (not reef but there is stuff to see), fish if you bring a rod and have a license and perhaps see dolphin (Flipper this time). I think this is one of the most relaxing ways to spend a day.
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 04:15 AM

Your shot at a marlin in May (or any other time, for that matter) in the Keys is not very good- it is just not prime marlin territory. And May is getting a little late for sailfish. It is a good month for night fishing for swordfish- I do think there are several charter boats in Islamorada that offer swordfishing charters.
As to nightlife, well yes only Key West has a large number of bars packed together on one street (unlike all the other Keys); but not one single bar in Key West can compare to the Tiki Bar at Holiday Isle on a weekend.
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great information. The fishing is really expensive though. Would those prices be for 1 person? Or for a whole boat? Is there any way while you are there to find other people to share the cost, or is that pretty difficult? I know my husband would like to fish a few times in the 2 weeks we are there but that won't be possible if it costs us $300-$800 each time.

Any additional information that anyone could give would be very much appreciated, thanks!
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 10:31 AM

The larger charter boats that fish for offshore are called "6-pack" boats because they can carry up to six paying passengers, and the price is generally a flat rate- it is the same for two anglers as it is for 6. I am not really sure about "sharing" your charter with strangers to defray price. You might still end up paying $100 for a day trapped on the water with a real jerk!
There are half day charters (the ones in the $300 range).
A cheaper fishing option are "party boats" which take out 30-50 people at a time for a half day; however these usually fish for snapper, grouper, or kingfish which don't get to the big gamefish size that it seems your husband is looking for. However, they can still be alot of fun- especially during the week when there are fewer people on board.
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

I don't really know what to do now. I know he would not want to fish on a boat with 30-50 people, and paying $500.00 to $800.00 for a day of fishing is way to much. Can we rent our own boat and fish by ourselves?
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 12:37 PM

Bonefishing with a fly. That's the way to go. Upper Keys has a gazillion guides (some better than others) who are bone fish experts. I'm not sure about May and whether that's a good time or not. Larry will probably know.
By the way, bonefishing is a great way to catch a tan. And that may be all you catch.
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 12:53 PM
GoTravel

Renting a boat will run you about $200 per day not including gas for a 17 foot whaler.

Boating in the Florida Keys is not for the faint of heart nor is it for the inexperienced or the fresh water boater.

On the ocean side of the upper keys (Islamorada, Key Largo) the water can go from 6 feet deep to 6 inches and a split second. The channels are marked but sometimes not clearly and if you aren't lined up, you are running aground.

Fines for tearing up seagrass are $50 per square foot. Don't think anyone will see you? There are probably 10-15 different paid and volunteer groups policing the waters.

Are both of you good with charts and channel markers? Sea Bouys?

I highly recommend hiring a guide for the ocean side for at least a half day if you decide to rent.

I would not venture into the back country without a very experienced guide.

That being said about the dangers, one of the most beautiful things you will see is the Florida Keys from the water. I highly recommend boating in the keys but boat smart and boat safe.

Old Nov 13th, 2003, 01:47 PM

You can also try going to the docks the day before he wants to go out fishing and leave your name with some of the charter boat captains. If they need another person to round out a group they might call and you can try to negotiate prices.
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 03:15 PM

We enjoyed snorkeling at Looe Key which is off of Big Pine Key. You have to take a boat to get there. It really is not a key, but an old sunken ship from the 17 or 1800's. We saw lots of huge tarpon. However, we were there in July when the water was nice and calm and warm. Don't know what it will be like at the end of Nov. That is one of the problems with snorkeling the keys-you have to take a boat out to the reefs. Why not look into the Dry Tortugas off of Key West. It is far south where it is probably warmer-You can go there by plane or boat. Be aware that by boat it takes ALL DAY to get there and return. I did not have enough time to go, but people have reported good things about the site on this website. Do a search and see for yourself.
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 02:18 AM

If you are going after the big game fish you really need a pro running the boat who is familiar with the Florida straights. That is powerful water and deceptive.

Tarpon fishing is a little tamer and I second the recommendation for bone fishing. Just a little flat boat and a pole on Florida Bay. It will be relaxing and frustrating at the same time and just great fun. Bone fishing runs out of Marathon and Islamorada I believe. You can do this on your own in the back bay.

I've only snorkelled at Pennekamp in the keys. May should be a great time for this as the water will have warmed and will be quite clear.

Key West is not my preference for fishing. The Hemingway fantasy has nothing to do with the reality there. LMF
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 03:08 AM

I didn't suggest bonefishing because of the posters desire for big fish. Chances are the bonefish will be smaller than the salmon he routinely catches in Seattle. So based on 1)price; 2)desire to fish with a small group; 3) desire to catch a big fish; and 4) time of year- we come back full circle to what the first respondent said: tarpon fishing. May is an excellent month for tarpon in the middle and upper Keys, and tarpon easily get to 100 lbs. By contrast, you could pay $350 for a half day of offshore sailfishing and you would be lucky to catch a sailfish weighing more than 75lbs.
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for all of the great information!

I have always heard that the fishing is so great in the Keys, it sounds like from some of the posts that it's not as good as advertised, especially for the big offshore fish?

I am sure he will want to still try fishing for Marlin, etc. at least once and then the Tarpon fishing sounds like something he would like too.

We plan on staying in Key West the longest. Is Tarpon the best type of fishing there? If he is going to try offshore fishing and go for a Marlin or something, is Islamorada better than Key West?

We are experienced Salt Water boaters but it sounds like maybe a guide would be the best for fishing. Are there any spots that are not as dangerous that we could rent a boat just to go out and hang out on the water all day and swim?

Thanks again for everyone's help, this site is so great and really helps make your trips even better!
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 03:14 PM
GoTravel

If he is dead set on going Marlin fishing then he will spend big bucks. No way around that one. The best place to big game fish is probably out of Islamorada. Before he spends all that money to go out big game fishing, keep this in mind; the residents of the Florida Keys are big on catch and release. With good reason they do not want to see the big fish population depleted. But hey, it's all about the fight right?

Another important point, your fishing license. Don't dick around and not get it. If you get caught fishing without one, the fine is steep.

Catching tarpon is like catching a giant muscle of a fish. They put up a good fight.

There is another board for Key West residents (go to EZBoard.com and search for Key West) and one or two of the regular posters are fishing captains. Try that board as you should get a little better advice.

Old Nov 18th, 2003, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Dear Gotravel,

Thanks again! I will check the EZboard as well.

Old Nov 18th, 2003, 05:03 PM

If your husband goes with a charter, he DOES NOT need a fishing license. He will be fishing under the charter's license. He will need one if he chooses to rent a boat on his own. I know that Seaboots used to accept names & dates to split charters. They have an outfitters on Big Pine Key (which is about half way between Marathon and Key West), and they keep their boat on Summerland Key. Check out their website www.seaboots.com. you can see a picture of their boat, along with some of their catch. They have a very good reputation. You can contact them via email and see if they still do "share" charters. They only accept up to 6 people. Good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -