Search

Smoking in DFW?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2003, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smoking in DFW?

Yes I know it's bad for me, yes I know everyone hates smokers but I have a simple question so don't flame me!
Can you smoke in DFW's bars and resturants or is there a designated smoking area? Or must one go outside meaning a trip back thru security?

Thanks!
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 08:30 AM

There might be ONE bar that allows smoking if I remember correctly. However, havent' been thru there in over a year.
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 08:35 AM

I believe the rule in Dallas is that if an establishment does a majority percentage of it's business strictly on booze, then you can smoke. If the majority of sales are in food, then you cannot. Now, if there is an outside deck (there is a Dick's Last Resort there) then you can smoke on the deck. Don't quote me on that, but I think that's the case!
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 08:41 AM

Cassidy - Dick's has a bar in DFW airport? With a deck?

Old Sep 25th, 2003, 08:57 AM

It's quite easy to clear security at DFW. At each entrance, and there are plenty of them is a TSA team, with scanners. The lines move fairly quickly - I can speak from experience, I've connected through DFW a number of times, and I smoke too.
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 09:04 AM

I don't recall ever seeing a Dick's in DFW... and there would not be an outside deck if there were one in a terminal.
I think I have seen people smoking in TGI Friday's though...
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 09:30 AM

I don't remember seeing smoking at TGI Friday's last time I was through DFW (four times in July), but maybe I timed it when no one was smoking. And since I quit, I'm hyper-sensitive to smoking, so....

leslie's exactly right; there are security entrances everywhere, so just have your companion(s) watch you carry-ons and have a smoke outside. Getting through security is pretty much a snap. I'd think twice if I was less than 30 minutes to take-off, just in case there's a last-minute rush through the X-ray.
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 09:39 AM

There is NO SMOKING ANYWHERE in DFW Airport. If you want to smoke, you must go through security and go outside. There's usually not much of a line to get back inside.

One of my neighbors is a bartender at the TGIF in one of the terminals, and she says she likes it because the customers don't smoke!
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 08:34 PM

The original poster never mentioned anything about the airport... Just so you know, the entire Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex is often referred to as "DFW" as is the name of the airport. The second poster was correct. Smoking only in the establishments in which a majority percentage (not sure what percentage) of their business is alcohol. Not sure about the outdoor decks, but that sounds right. There is a Dick's in the downtown nightlife district called "West End"
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 08:35 PM

okay, I'm an idiot. I suppose walking through security would lead one to believe that they were talking about the airport
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

I work in the travel industry and must often use the 3 letter airport code throughout the day therefore it's become a habit. Sorry to confuse everyone, I did mean the airport.

Since I've posted that I've been thru DFW, the airport only, and no, one cannot smoke anywhere in the terminal. You must go outside and back thru security. This was easily done as the airport was not busy at that time.
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 06:55 PM
jor

What ever it takes to keep smoke out of airports is a life saver for so many people. If you don't want us to "flame" you then don't flame us.