Increased security?

Search

Increased security?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Increased security?

As we waited to board a US Air flight to Philadelphia yesterday at Boston's Logan Airport, TSA personnel had revived the procedure in which individuals were selected from the boarding line at the gate to have their carryons searched before being allowed down the jetway.

I remember this from a few years back but hadn't seen it in some time. Does anyone know if there is a new threat, were we getting special treatment, or is this procedure being applied regularly again?
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 02:32 AM

I think you are just special - I have seen this done at Logan several times.
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 12:48 PM

I've seen that in many airports - not just in the US (actually see it more outside the US, than within). It's just a random check, and not a big deal....
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 02:01 PM

I guess the TSA idiots don't trust their own people/procedures. If they did their job correctly at the security checkpoints then there would not be a need to do a secondary check at the gates, inconveniencing passengers even more...
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 02:41 PM

I guess too many people were buying liquids in the sterile area after passing through the initial screening, and TSA needed more drinks to go with their lunches.
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 03:56 AM

These random checks are nonsense, they were when first introduced and they remain so today; I cannot understand the way some people accept every bit of nonsense thrown out by paranoids such as Chertoff and the rest of those clowns that are systematically destroying the fabric of our country little by little in the name of the "war on terror." (How come it didn't annoy the US government when the IRA was blowing up buildings in London and other parts of the UK and as a matter of fact many of these terrorists were and are still being sheltered in the USA???? Great way to treat your friends eh).

At LHR, recently, there were two flights boarding right next to each other...one going to Toronto, the other going to New York...the Toronto flight boarded without incident...there was no need to do a secondary check on what had already been done but for the JFK flight, the random checks were out in force..patting down anybody unfortunate enough to be randomly chosen as going through their hand luggage and whatever.

Just another reason why many people hate coming to the USA and yes it is a slap in the face at the security procedures at the airport.

Maybe when we finally rid ourselves of this paranoid in the White House, we will become the land of the free and the home of the brave once again.
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 06:20 AM

My wife and I frequently are unable to avoid returning to the US from London. Even though we have gone through Gate 63 at Gatwick so often that we know some of the security people by first name, we have never gotten on a plane without one of us being pulled aside for a bag check.

It's just one more silly window dressing from the Ministry of Fear.
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 10:29 AM

NRT, BKK, and HKG are routinely doing this again. Used to be that C/F pax weren't generally selected.

Now it appears that everyone is getting the gate grope.

Best, Dave