Slum hotels in Los Angeles?

Mar 19th, 2004, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Slum hotels in Los Angeles?

I was in LA last summer and stayed at the very nice Sheraton Universal. I'm going to LA again this summer but THIS time have to stay VERY CHEAP. I've been looking at hotels on hotels.com and wanted to get an opinion on two of them:

Hollywood Vagabond Inn
1133 Vine Street

Comfort Inn
321 North Vermont Ave. (leaning toward this one)

Hollywood Downtowner Inn
5601 Hollywood Blvd.

I know, I KNOW--these are all PITS! But I'm used to staying in less than steller hotels if it's going to save me money. I've stayed in hotels in Manhattan where I had a bed, sink, dresser, and television with ALMOST enough room to turn around!

Are any of the above hotels so horrible I should avoid them like the plague? I'm thinking they will be NOISY? And not in the safest part of town? I won't be out at night and if I am I'll be with someone that'll take me right to the door of the hotel.

Thanks for your help! (by the way, I won't be renting a CAR, either! nope!) but I've been to LA more than once and I don't need/want to go all over the place. I'm comfortable with the light subway system that's there, and will be spending some time with someone who will have a car....

This is in June, by the way.

Lisa

Mar 19th, 2004, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Oops--make that THREE of them.....
Mar 19th, 2004, 12:26 PM

Before we begin telling you about the area of town these hotels are in... why don't you give us an idea of the area you have business/travel plans in and your price range.

Thanks! Mommar
Mar 19th, 2004, 02:31 PM

Ditto Mommar. Why Hollywood/No. Vermont?
Mar 19th, 2004, 02:44 PM

The Comfort Inn on Vermont would be on a really busy street down near Koreatown. Wouldn't want to stay there. The Vagabond Inn is close to Melrose, better neighborhood, but still not the greatest. The Downtowner is on east side of Hollywood. There is a Days Inn which is nearby which is a lot nicer than that place. I am only suggesting this because you seem like you are on a budget. The Days Inn in the 7000 block of Sunset is even nicer and better neigborhood. Try the Comfort Inn on Highland in Hollywood.
Mar 19th, 2004, 02:53 PM

If you must stay in Hollywood, why not go to Priceline and get something nice for way less than the $80 they'll nick you for at some Comfort Inn?

F'rinstance, the Wyndham Bel Age (okay, West Hollywood) is being hit for under $70. Four stars. No pimps.

...?
Mar 21st, 2004, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses back. I'll be going (specifically) for an event at CBS studios by the Farmers Market. I didn't really want to stay RIGHT by there (even though I won't have a car) because I've been in that area before and it seems kind of desolate? There's a MOtel right across the street but no way would I stay there. I just need something a few miles from "CBS Television City" that inexpensive but safe, and close to SOME form of public transportation. I've thought about hotels near Hollywood Blvd. but I think that's noisy. NOt safe at night, either--but I wouldn't be walking around at night, anyway.

LisaJ
Mar 21st, 2004, 10:21 PM

The old Claremont Hotel in Westwood is bare bones (I don't think the rooms have TV's, just one out in the lobby). But it's in a safe area near UCLA and a short walk to everything, including the bus that runs by CBS.
The hotels you mention are longer bus rides to CBS and in less desirable neighborhoods.
Mar 22nd, 2004, 05:59 AM

You can get a room at the Days Inn at 5410 Hollywood Blvd. in Hollywood for $53.10 per night. I know people who have stayed there and they said it was just fine for the money. Family owned and operated, a clean outdoor pool, and a continental breakfast was included in the rate. My friends said they felt safe (they're from New York City) while they were there and that they were in between the Los Feliz section on one side and the Chinese Theater, etc. on the other side. It's also within walking distance of a subway station and there's bus stops all along the street.
Mar 22nd, 2004, 07:02 AM

The "LA Times" recently reviewed that motel across the street (Fairfax) from Television City-- the Farmer's Daughter Motel. They gave it a very good review-- it was newly renovated and moved upscale in its amenities. Of course, it may now be out of your price range.

The area around Television City is NOT desolate! The Farmer's Market and the Grove are right by there, and the main wildness of Melrose is less than a mile east. Lots and lots of things to do in that vicinity.
Mar 22nd, 2004, 07:23 AM

I have a close family member who works on a CBS tv show and she told me that The Farmer's Daughter Motel is very nice indeed and that it is always packed with The Price Is Right studio audience members. There's a staff member there who hosts a Price is Right mock game in the evening to give potential contestants an edge to be chosen the next day. I learned that the producer walks through the line looking for an interesting story from people who represent all walks of life. Your chances are slim if you are wearing a tee shirt that plugs a business.
Mar 22nd, 2004, 07:35 AM

If you want to stay near a subway stop, try the Magic Castle Hotel on Franklin. If you have AAA, you can get a great rate there and it's close to bus service and the subway stop at the Hollywood and Highland complex. YOu can catch a bus right to CBS if you want to take public transporation or it's an easy cab ride.
Mar 30th, 2004, 01:53 PM

I agree with Deborah. Stay at the Magic Castle. We were just there and it was great. The rooms are clean and there is a heated pool. It is far enough behind Hollywood Blvd where it is not very noisy at night at all. The staff is awesome and we had a blast.

It's only a five minute walk to the metro. There are a ton of resturants and shops in the Hollywood/Highland mall so you don't have to go far to find something to eat.

Plus Hollywood Blvd is fairly safe to walk in at night...if you know where you are going.
Mar 30th, 2004, 02:03 PM

Dude, the Farmer's Daughter motel is awesome. I saw they were renovating it last September, haven't been by since. We stayed about two years ago. It can be had for like $75/nt and the room was very clean, neat, standard stuff with a little fridge even. And you can't beat its proximity to the world's best cheap food at Farmer's Market.

Also, the Magic Castle hotel is awesome. It would require public transit though to CBS. It too was a very clean standard little hotel with a beautiful courtyard/pool area, and admission to the Magic Castle included...don't know if you HAVE to have dinner there to see the shows, because dinner's expensive if you're on a budget. There is a small admission fee but it may have been waived for staying at the hotel, but the shows are SO worth it and the castle itself is beautiful and fun to explore and have a drink in the parlor.

All that said, you could try Priceline and get a great hotel for like $70. We stayed at the Wyndham Bel Age and THAT was a cool hotel, beautiful room, cool rooftop pool.

I think you have a lot more choices than no-tell motels.

love
roxy
May 26th, 2004, 09:38 PM

I stayed at the Vagabond Inn Hollywood in December and it was infested with bedbugs. We woke up to bugs in the bed that fed on us while we slept.

The bugs then traveled in my suitcase and have infested my home for 5 months costing me thousands of dollars.

A reviewer on BestHotels also had a bed buggy room at the Vagabond inn hollywood in March 2004.

I would not take the chance...stay away from the Hollywood Vagabond Inn.