Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
skyauction

skyauction
http://www.skyauction.com/
has a history of unresolved complaints with the BBB
http://www.newyork.bbb.org/reports/b...age=1&id=65816
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 04:06 AM

skyauction does a huge volume of business. I've used them (not recently) for several transatlantic flights, a cruise, and a hotel package, and have been very satisfied. One time I had an issue, called them, and they resolved it right away.

Again, they do a huge volume of business, and some people are always going to complain about something. Several probably didn't understand about the bidding process.

Maybe I'm reading the chart wrong, but 41 resolved issues with still unhappy customers over a 3-year period vs. the thousands of transactions they make? Some may be legit, some not, and some will just bitch about anything.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 06:37 AM

It can be a better option than Priceline for hotels as you know what lodging you're getting up front.

That said, I've won bids twice that advertized my travel dates were availible only to come back rejected when I tried to book. A lot of people overbid so make sure you're getting a deal by checking around for competing hotel/air/cruise prices.

I had an unresolved dispute with the BBB with Priceline and I no longer use the company though it can still be very good when you generally know what hotel you'll be getting. However Priceline does still misrate some hotels and you have no recourse if you get a one. When using Priceline keep in mind that you can be put in a broom closet that has no windows or bedding but they lived up to their end of the bargain by "their" star rating system. Their rating system specifically does not mention room size, television size, shower or tub, windows, blinds, etc. meaning you do not have to have any of these specified items for comfort and they fulfilled their definition of the room rating.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 06:58 AM

I use priceline all the time and have been very happy with all the places that I have stayed. Never gotten a broom closet - the worst was a room near the elevator.

Yes, there are some hotels that are advertised as 4* but turn out to be a 3* in your judgment, and I've gotten a few of those -- and they were not that bad at all considering it only cost $50 vs. the $200 website price.

I just bid for and got the Marriott in Zurich for $80 ($92 with taxes, etc), and the cheapest website price was $300. Someone posted that I'll probably get a small room, maybe 2 single beds, not near here or not near there, yada, yada, yada. Who cares? I'm just going to spend the night prior to flying out the next morning.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 07:08 AM

I wrote about my travel experience on biddingfortravel.com. I bid on a 5* in London and won the St. Martin's Lane. Travelzoo.com was offering an upgraded room for only $5 more for the same dates. I checked into to the hotel and I was put in a room that was 200 square feet, not even advertised on the website with a 10 by 8 inch television, no drawers to put my clothes, and a double bed with no bath, shower only. If it was a 4* it would have been no big deal but Priceline's customer service keeps me from ever using the company again. It's great when it works but you can get stuck with a rotten room and when you do you're out of luck.

I'd used Priceline for years with no complaints but that experience really soured my opinion of the company. I think it's also important for bidders to know if they do get a misrated room Priceline will not help you, their allegence lies with the hotel not the consumer.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 07:09 AM

I meant a misrated hotel, not room, sorry for the error.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 08:09 AM
Don

Maybe it's just me, but every time I see what appears to be a first and only post on the message board, and they're complaining about something, I'm suspicious about their intent.

In any case, I've had only one attempt at a SkyAuction auction. I got a plane ticket to Orlando, but SkyAuction couldn't get me on a flight on any of the dates I tried. So I cancelled--no charge from SkyAuction. Based on their no-hassle willingness to cancel the transaction at no charge to me, I'll be happy to try again sometime.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 11:59 AM

I've won five auctions with Sky Auctions; including hotel stays in San Diego, Chicago, Cabo & Cancun, without any problems. As a matter of fact, I won an auction for a hotel stay in New Orleans, as I was taking a cruise out of that port. Then Hurricane Katrina hit and my cruise was canceled, although the hotel stayed open for the days I had booked through Sky Auction. Not obligated to do so (due to their "no refund" policy), S.A. gave me a full refund.