skin problems in vegas

Search

skin problems in vegas

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
skin problems in vegas

Anyone else have skin issues when in Vegas? On 3 separate trips at 3 different hotels I have had problems. I have sensitive but not "super" sensitive skin. The shower water and sink water as well as the chlorine smelling towels burn my skin and cause redness and rashes. The skin on my shins cracks and bleeds and every step causes intense pain. Even when resting the leg pain still throbs. The pain when walking feels like every nerve ending is on fire. I bring my own face and body cleansers so it is not the soap. When wrapping the towel around me, I look like a candy cane where the towel touches me. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 09:25 AM
GoTravel

A good moisturizer.

The air is very dry in Las Vegas.

There isn't enough chlorine in the water to make a difference.

Old Nov 13th, 2006, 09:31 AM

You bleed, your skin cracks, and you throb in pain...

I suggest you find a different vacation spot.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 09:38 AM

Or at least a different hotel with nicer towels.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 09:40 AM

It is probably the dry air but your situation seems severe.

I would think lots of lotion but you probably already do that. Next is a new destination as the others have suggested.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 09:51 AM

I'm sorry you have these skin problems when you visit. The water here contains high amounts of minerals. I've noticed that I have a tendency to itch after showering. The winter months are especially dry here.

The best advice I can offer is to try an intense moisturizer. I use Mango Body Butter from the Body Shop. Use it before you dry off for the best results.

You might also consider a visit to one of the spas. I'm sure they can give you a massage with some soothing oils.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 09:53 AM

We live in the Sun Shine State, the air is like soup most of the year. When we go out west or to a low humidity area it does a job on the skin. Even the use of creams and lotions is not a 100% cure for the dryness.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 09:53 AM

Another idea - don't dry off with a towel first - rub baby oil on your skin and air dry
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 10:03 AM

I had a classmate with a similar problem, but for her it affected her hands. Her dermatologist told her she has an allergy to water (actually, not the water itself, but the additives in the water). She now takes showers with rubber gloves on, with tape around the wrists to keep the water from going under her gloves. I'm not sure what can be done about it other than avoid the water.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 10:09 AM

From your description of yourself turning red where the towel was wrapped around you, I think you're allegic to the towels. Not the towels themselves, but what ever they are washed in.

The air in Vegas is so dry, and the water is heavily treated, so it may be causing or aggravating some of the symptoms, but I'd sugest that next time you bring your own towels.

You can get the lightweight camping ones so they won't be so bulkiy. Make sure you wash them at home in your regular detergent first.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 10:13 AM

lcuy brings up a good point. I am allergic to Tide and other strong detergents. Bring your own towel from home and since your skin sensitivity increases in the desert, change to Dreft or a baby detergent for the clothes you pack. And, moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. The baby oil trick on wet skin works well for me.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 10:30 AM

Cleo, I am with those who say that it seems only logical to vacation elsewhere. You can do an experiment and see if you have a similar reaction in other dry climates, but it would appear that the misery you describe so vividly, would seem to outweigh any possible enjoyment of Vegas.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 10:38 AM

Another way of dealing with the residual effects of the water is to do a final rinse with bottled water -- not Evian, just get a 99-cent gallon of whatever spring or artesian water they're selling at the local drugstore.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 10:51 AM

Have you talked to your doctor about this? It could be something else that's causing the problem, but the water/towels/etc. are bringing it out or a combination of things.

If you are in this much pain, you need to find out exactly what's causing it.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 11:12 AM

With the dry air, our water is very hard. i notice the difference when I go to other places such as California and I take a shower over there, my hair always feels softer and my skin is smoother. We go through mass amounts of lotion here, and right now this is especially tough time. Anytime the weather changes as it just has I have to put extra strenght lotion on my hands because my knuckles begin to crack and bleed. Our weather typically doesn't ease into seasons we go from hot to cold and it is at these times that I pay the price, and like I mentioned the water here is hard so it can be very damaging. sorry.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 11:13 AM

PS I also use the body butters from The Body Shop and they seem to work really well, this is where I also get my extra strenght hand lotion for these times.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 11:15 AM

PSS I really do know how to spell "strength"
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Jed

Do you have the problem only in Vegas?