skiing in December ????

Old Oct 20th, 2003, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
skiing in December ????

Anyone skied in December in Michigan? Is it a good experience? Cheaper than Colorado yet worth the trip up from St. Louis? Where do you recommend? Any advice greatly appreciated?
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 10:20 AM
jor

I would not recommend a ski trip to Michigan in Dec. There might be zero snow. The sking is great but not reliable snow until Jan. (as Colorado would be) I skied Iron Mountain several years ago. I think you are planning to ski too early.
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 10:51 AM

....at best, you might have some new snow over the fake stuff. As long as the weather stays cold, the ski areas around Petoskey (Boyne Mt, Highlands, etc) will start making snow, but unless it is an unusual year, we won't start getting big amounts of natural snow until later. We get lots of people up here for Christmas week though, so if you are planning on that week, make your reservations now!
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 11:18 AM

Elmiller, Colorado does not have to be exspensive if you can come before the holidays. Ski Cooper a small ( for Colorado) area has 2 for one coupons
http://www.skicoupons.com/coupons.cf...8&csubcat_id=0
Tickets are 33.00. 16.50 is pretty darn cheap! Lodging in Leadville is pretty resonable.

Copper Mountain has this deal
For a limited time, Copper is offering incredible rates on multi-day lift tickets for the '03/'04 season. Ski or ride for just $24.75 a day with our Adult Value 4-day ticket. The first day of an Adult Value 4-day must be used between Nov. 1 and Dec. 25, 2003 (the remaining 3 days must be used within 7 days from the first day of use). The first day of all other Online Tickets may be used any day of the '03/'04 season, excluding Jan. 31 - Feb. 6, 2004
These deals are only available online, and only until November 10, 2003.

For lodging see
http://www.valuevacationrentals.com/...on-rentals.htm
The town of Frsico may have better lodging deals and it is a very short drive to Copper. Then there is always the Alpen Hutte http://www.alpenhutte.com/rates.htm

Hope this helps
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 11:41 AM

PS another place to find condos, direct from owners, typically cheaper than through the agencies are www.summitnet.com and www.vrbo.com
in addition to Frisco the other towns central to summit county resorts are Dillon and Silverthorne. There is pretty much something in all price ranges
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 03:55 PM

I agree that Michigan (even Indianhead and Powderhorn in the UP) are iffy in December.

There are often great deals in Colorado if you go before about the 20th.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 12:11 PM

I have skiied in December at Boyne Mountain for the past three consecutive years. All years we started skiing Thanksgiving weekend thanks to early season snows. In fact, last year we had more skiiable snow Thanksgiving and early Dec than we did at Christmas!! Yes, it is iffy and depends on the year. I wouldn't travel from St. Louis for it though, Chicago maybe. If you're looking at Colorado resorts, the higher alt the better for more snow. The past years have been lean. Try looking at the Tahoe area - the Sierras have been getting early season DUMPS the past two years - Utah as well - but Snowbird not Park City that time of year for more dependable snow - Snowbird and Alta get over 200" more snow each year than Park City - more early season too.