Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Ski vacation with several couples, singles, and children...where to go in colorado or new mexico

Search

Ski vacation with several couples, singles, and children...where to go in colorado or new mexico

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to plan a snow ski vacation Dec 26-30, 2007 or perhaps on thru the new year weekend. We will have 10-15 travelers, all family, beginner to advanced skiers and two children ages 4 and 6. I have been to Red River, NM and Angel Fire, NM and Santa Fe, NM and enjoyed them all but would like to try the Colorado area. I have not been to Taos, NM but have heard that is the best place to go in NM. I know they do not allow snowboarding there which is fine. We are from East Texas, which is one reason we go to NM usually because a 12-14 hr drive is not so bad. We would like to look into a ski in ski out resort/hotel simply because of the two children. we have heard that is the best way to go with children, correct me if i am wrong. I have always stayed somewhere that we had to drive 10-20 minutes to the slopes and i do not know what the cost difference is. Basically, i know what it costs where i have been and would like some suggestions for other destinations with consideration for cost, children, beginner skiers, and whether to drive or fly. we have also considered renting an RV so we can all ride together, but not so sure if that is such a good idea! Please help, thanks
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 06:22 PM

Our favorite family ski trips (with mutiple families and everyone at different levels) have been to Utah. We have Booked our flights when we could get good rates which are usually the spring. When you fly into SLC, your drive is about 45 minutes in all directions to the various ski resorts. Or you can choose to stay in the city and catch a bus out. We never stayed in hotels but choose houses in which we all aplit the rent. We were usually on the shuttle run so people could come and go as they please. We have taken cars but then you have to stay together and leave together. It is a hassle with young ones. We have skiied Brighton, Alta, Deer Valley, Park Cities. The kids skied free at Brighton because it is a no frills resort. You have to drive there. Deer Valley is extremely expensive but it is hassle free. Our trip this year to Winter Park was canceled due to the snow storm. We were to stay in a Ski in/Ski Out place. My son went to Breckenridge with my brothers family. They were told their condo was ski in and out but he said they had to cross a parking lot to get to a gondola that took you to the lift. The 6 year old found that much too difficult. Good luck
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 07:50 AM

I just returned from Breckenridge. There were 12 of us, 8 adults and 4 kids. We stayed at Beaver Run Resort at the base of Peak 9 in a 4 bedroom suite. It is truly ski-in/ski-out and everyone loved it. You did not need a car, there are free shuttles or you can walk to town. Breck is about 90 minutes from Denver and there are shuttles to get you from the airport as well. It was a great family vacation and we will definately go there again.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 04:58 PM

Wherever you go, ski-in, ski-out is great, especially with a group your size. That way if someone gets tuckered out, they can go back to the room without everyone having to leave, or one parent having to leave and then come back to get the rest of the crew.

Having taken many, many driving trips, I don't know that I could take an RV trip with 20 family members, no matter how much I love them, and the cost of gas would be outrageous!
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 05:34 PM

Consider Durango, which is 3 hour drive past Albuquerque; lots to do in town and there are places to stay on mtn. Also, Telluride is a great town too. This will be about 90 minutes more than Durango. Lots of wonderful places to stay in Mountain Village or in town where you take a free gondola to get to trails.

Can't go wrong with either.

Hope this helps...
Debi
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 06:56 PM

Hi:

Do you really want to try to navigate an RV through unfamiliar mountain roads in the winter? Also, wouldn't it make more sense to have a vehicle (or more) for transportation once you get to where you are going? Definitely do ski in ski out. Try vrbo.com for a big slope side house with your numbers.
Kristen
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:32 AM

Be aware that prices are outrageously marked up that week. Whatever you rent will be far more expensive than usual. And you are right to get something booked now.

Also, ski in/ski out typically means you can ski to your door. Again, those are the priciest options. Most resorts have shuttle systems so you don't have to drive anywhere. Also, there are condos and accommodations in the villages that are just a short walk, but not technically ski in/ski out.

Good luck!