Search

CO or UT for family ski vacation?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CO or UT for family ski vacation?

Hi there.
I posted a question about Vail, but I'm now considering any options among CO and UT.

I have a family of 6... my husband and daughter are intermediate skiers; my 7 year old is beginner to intermediate; my teenage sons and I are advanced. And FWIW, the teenage boys snowboard.

What I'm looking for is:

* Great snow
* Varied terrain
* Either ski-in/ski-out accomodations or close to it. Especially interest in proximity to ski school for my 7 yr old
* Ambience. I want to be in a quaint, village-like environment. Someone suggested Park City (and the skiing looks fantastic there), but it appears to be a bustling "town" as opposed to a picturesque ski village. Maybe I'm wrong.
* I also want the accomodations to be very nice. I don't need/want doting or suffocating service, but that seems to come with the territory in properties that offer nicer suites/condos. The funny thing is that what I like exists in the small resort of Snowshoe, WV... but it appears difficult to find (or at least discern) at other resorts.
* Great food for those occasions we leave the kids at the condo with a pizza... and venture out for sanity, a bottle of wine and a great dinner.

I love the look of Vail, but - as I said in my other post - I am not interested in glitz. When I see the photos of Vail, it looks lovely and quaint... not glitzy. I had always associated Aspen with the Bogner-clad, mink-enveloped crowd (as someone else put it). Yet, I'm hearing that is - in essence - Vail. It's true that it doesn't matter a bit what everyone else is doing/wearing as long as the skiing and snowboarding are great. So, I'm still open to that. I do want atmosphere.

Frankly, we ski every winter, but - with anywhere between 4 and 7 kids in tow - traveling to VA to points WAY west is very costly. So, we normally drive to Snowshoe, WV for a short getaway or Killington. This time, however, I want to make it a fantastic trip... and one that probably won't be repeated for a very long time. So I want it special. If I were taking trips like this every year, I wouldn't be so concerned with finding the right fit.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old Oct 29th, 2006, 03:15 PM

Hi again OB,

I've been skiing all over the west for over 30 years. There aren't many places I haven't been. I'm trying to think of a place that fits your requirements and it's not easy.

If you want a "quaint" village atmosphere, ski in/ski out, good service without the smothering and good snow, that makes it hard.

Many of the top resorts have grown to gigantic proportions, just because they are so great.

Park City is a busy town, but once you are up in the old historic part of town, near the lifts, there are lots of wonderful old restored miners homes.

Crested Butte is very well preserved, but the mountain is rather far away from the "cute town".

One place to consider is Redford's place, Sundance. It has not been over-developed, it's in one of the most beautiful places on earth. But, again no night life, no real shopping, and just a few lifts. It's a small place.

Whistler/Blackcomb in BC would fit your bill. It's a huge place with a manufactured "village" like Vail. I haven't been there in many years and know it's developed unbelieveably since then. They are getting ready to host the Olympics, just like we did!

It kind of sounds like you have a certain "picture postcard" idea and wherever you go, just isn't going to match that no matter what. Since you haven't been many places, just go with an open mind. You will have a great time at any of the resorts mentioned.
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 03:31 PM

You didn't mention if you have any budget concerns -- if you do I think you should rule Vail out. We took our family many years to Copper Mountain, CO and you can ski in/out and if you get tired of this mountain, Keystone and Vail can be a day trip to try new slopes.

Utah could be more economical and has a variety of ski resorts to choose from.
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 03:33 PM

Mont. Tremblant!
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 03:44 PM
KMK

How about Steamboat in Colorado? Lots of condos/village-type development at the base. Huge mountain, good snow, lots of varied terrain for all abilities, easy access to the town (drive/shuttle). Plus, not as high of elevation as some Colorado resorts, so less likely to have an altitude sickness issue. You can fly to the local area (I think the airport is Hayden?), or it's not a horrendous drive/shuttle from Denver.

I think your original Park City and Vail options are good as well, though. If you park yourself at the base of any of the big Western resorts, you are definitely in for a treat!!!!

Old Oct 29th, 2006, 03:50 PM
KMK

I didn't see Miss_Maple's post before I posted, but Copper is also a good suggestion..both it and Keystone don't have "towns" - but have huge purpose-built base areas full of condos, restaurants, shops, etc., that would be reminiscent of the Snowshoe layout (well, other than the fact that Snowshoe has that "upside down" layout going on, with the buildings on top of the mountain instead of at the base!)
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 05:22 PM

Look at Breckenridge. The accomodations may not be as nice as you want but, I think, everything else is there. I don't ski but my husband does & the kids (11,11, & 17) snowboard. The town is nice & there should be a at least a couple of restaurants that fit for an adult evening out. Check it out! Betsy
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 02:50 AM

Hi OB, fellow Virginian here (Northern Virginia). First, can you get direct flights to Salt Lake City from your local airport? If so, that's a big plus for Utah over Vail as it will save you a couple of hours in travel time. As for Snowshoe-like villages at western ski resorts (small self-contained village, a fair amount of food options and near slopes), I still think Solitude, Utah is your best bet for what you're looking for. Park City is more bustle and more spread out. Also, again, if you're going in Late January, forget Park City because of the Sundance film festival. (The slopes aren't crowded, but everything else is).

If you're looking at Colorado, and I can't believe I'm saying this, Beaver Creek is probably the closest to the Snowshoe village in that it is a self-contained, smallish village with all properties near the slopes. However, while I don't mind the Bognar-clad gapers, you will find them in relatively large numbers there. The beginner areas at BC are absolutely wonderful. Check out Highlands Lodge at BC for reasonable (relatively speaking) condo units with a great location. (Try www.eastwestresorts.com). As an advanced skier, you will love the Birds of Prey downhill run.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 06:56 AM
MaureenB

Aspen has everything you want. It's a beautiful setting-- an authentic Colorado town set at the base of the mountain, plus three other ski areas close by. Snowmass is more contemporary, of course, but probably is less expensive for ski in/ski out. You could drive to Aspen from Denver, but that would take about 4+ hours, depending on weather. You can also fly to Aspen.

In Aspen proper, there are hotels and condos, like Aspen Square, The Gant, and others. You can walk the town from your condo, and feel comfortable letting the kids go out or stay in for pizza by themselves.

We go to Aspen mostly in June nowadays, and love it. Don't be put off by the stereotype that Aspen is too 'star-studded'. It does have its share of moneyed residents, but we find it less pretentious than Vail or Beaver Creek. And It still has its progressive attitudes rooted in the 60s. Aspen seems more like old money, vs. the newer, created ski towns which seem more nouveau riche and conspicuous consumption. If you know what I mean.

Or there's Telluride...

>-

Old Oct 30th, 2006, 07:01 AM

Steamboat meets your criteria.

Jackson Hole fits too.

Mount Tremblant also meets your criteria. Whistler is a much bigger version of MT as they were developed by the same company, Intrawest.

Many places in Europe would also fit your criteria. From the East Coast, you can ski in Europe for about what it costs to ski out west.

Park City and Breckinridge are fun small towns. Those resorts meet all of your criteria except they are a bit bigger than a small, single street village. Your teenagers would probably like those places best.

Not many resorts in UT fit because they either don't allow snowboarders (Deer Valley and Alta) or there's not much of a "village" (Snowbird and others).

Perhaps Sundance would be acceptable.

Vail looks quaint in pictures but it's next to an interstate and much of the Lionshead side (where ski school is) is under construction/redevelopment this season. That being said, the skiing is awesome.

Beaver Creek fits your guidelines except for the "doting services", and Bogner and mink wearers.

However, as I am an advanced skier who wears Bogner on the slopes and mink off the slopes, you'll probably want to discount my opinion.

Old Oct 30th, 2006, 07:14 AM

I think that you would be happy at Steamboat, (Jackson not the best for a beginner), but I would not call the village "quaint," at least the one at the base. It does not have as much of a big built up feel like some of the others might, though, and it is easy to get to the town itself which is more western in character.

I was thinking the same thing about going to Europe instead. I think that is the only place where you will truly find the ambiance you are seeking if you want to stay slopeside.

We were at Tremblant over the summer, and it is a wonderfully constructed village. But, staying onsite gets booked up very quickly.

Regarding Aspen, I have been told that if you have kids attending ski school, that you would want to stay at Snowmass.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 07:41 AM

I said Keystone before and I'll say it again. It's perfect for what you're looking for. Check out this webcam for a view of the village that surrounds the ice skating lake: http://common.snow.com/Mtncams/keystonelake.jpg There are two more "village environments"; River Run and Mountain House. There are some very upscale accommodations and moderately priced ones as well. I'd look into some of the nicer condos or townhouses for your group. The Redhawk, Ski Tip or Settlers Crossing Townhomes are very nice and have large enough units for your family. They aren't ski-in/ski-out but the shuttle system takes care of that. For your special, no kids dinner, check out the Ski Tip Lodge. I think it's the best restaurant in Summit County. For a family outing, do the Sleigh Ride dinner. A horse drawn sleigh takes you across a snowy valley to a cabin where you have a good old fashioned western meal. Or take the gondola up the mountain for a big fondue and raclette dinner complete with Oompa band. Lots of fun to be had.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

padams421, please understand that I don't discount your opinion at all based on fashion I didn't intend to sound derisive in my post. I am not concerned about what others wear on or off the slopes. Heck, I'm still wearing a Bogner suit - it just happens to be the same one I wore when I was 18 (20+ years go) My concern was (although it's being mitigated) that the service/atmosphere would be geared towards the more "fashionable" crowd. So long as I can expect the same level of service and enjoy a relaxing environment, I'm there. It's about terrific skiing and the ambience (and food!) afterwards. I can tell you that in calling several up-market hotels today, I was completely unimpressed with one that has a phenomenal reputation. I found the reservationist very lofty, and that really put me off that hotel. Probably short-sighted of me, but if the front-end staff acts like that, it doesn't bode well for those who aren't there to make first impressions.
I am favoring Aspen now - which is just the opposite of where I stood 24 hours ago. And - no - I'm not bi-polar
Plans have changed this morning. My husband has decided he doesn't want to go with the kids, so this is just for the two of us. That dramatically affects the criteria of where we should stay. I'm taking the kids to Stowe later in January to make up for ditching them on the trip West.
Anyway - Keystone looks lovely. I was seriously considering that when I thought the kids were joining us. I really appreciate the background on that, as we will likely do the "Family Rockies" trip next year. Solitude and Park City are way up there, too, for next year.
With the new scenario, I'm considering Whistler, Aspen, Deer Valley... maybe Alta... but I think my husband would be bored there. *sigh*
The concern I have about Whistler is the weather. I understand it can actually rain there in January, and I don't want to chance that.
Any thoughts about accomodations at any of these places?
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 09:13 AM

I've skied all over the west with my two kids and love both Colorado and Utah skiing.

Vail is pretty glitzy, with tons of fur coats and chic boutiques. The Lodge at Vail is a fabulous ski in and out property that has suites for families. It's right in the heart of things, but I can't remember if it's next to the kids ski school. My family has really enjoyed Vail. Their little library has a very sweet children's reading room for snowdays, and they have a fun snow play park area called Adventure Ridge with lift-served snow tubing, laser tag, etc.

Telluride is a gorgeous town. Stay at the village at the top of the gondola where there are many beautiful condos. Ski school is there too. Take the gondola down the mountain into town for dinner and shopping.

Aspen does not have a kids ski school, and your daughter will have to take a bus to nearby Buttermilk. Snowmass is a great family mountain wtih a good kids ski school and varied terrain but it isn't a town -- Aspen is the nearest town and Snowmass calls it one of their "amenities." You can make the short drive to Aspen from there or take the bus for dinner, or to ski Aspen mountain, which is terrific.

Whistler Blackcomb is really fun for families, but it's pretty bustling and big and it's a purpose-built ski village rather than an authentic town. It's very well done though. Beaver Creek is purpose built too, as is Keystone and Copper.

Park City is a great old western town that has 3 ski areas. If you want ski in and out, you'd have to stay at the base of The Canyons or Park City Ski Area (Deer Valley does not allow snowboarders). All are about 3-5 minutes from the historic downtown area of Park City. Also next to park city is Olympic Park, which has ski jumping lessons, and luge and bobsled rides for older teens. You can also watch ski jumping practice on the Olympic jumps, and the freestylers practice too - really fun for kids. Park City is just 45 freeway minutes from the Salt Lake airport -- really easy to get to.

Steamboat base lodging is not really in the town, but it's a good mountain wtih varied terrain.

Check out familytravelforum.com for more ideas -- I review ski areas for them!
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 11:17 AM
MaureenB

If you and your husband go to Aspen, I suggest you stay in Aspen itself. It's a nice little town, even though the shops are mostly high-end designer ones. Take a look at the Hotel Jerome, which is the historic grand dame of hotels in Aspen. Or the Sardy House is a Victorian hotel next door. For condo/hotels, try Aspen Square and The Gant. All are relatively expensive, though.

Old Oct 30th, 2006, 11:26 AM
MaureenB

P.S. If you consider Aspen Square, be sure to request a newly-remodeled unit. We had a dated one last summer, which we didn't like since it cost just as much as the new one next door to it. I have filed away the name of another Aspen condo management company with nice places, too. If you need it, let me know.

Old Oct 30th, 2006, 12:14 PM

No kids- easy choice - Aspen!

Old Oct 30th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Terrific! Actually Hotel Jerome has great rates - relatively speaking. BUT no fireplace I understand it's about 5 blocks from the lifts, is that right? Is there ski storage at the base of the mountain?
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 02:45 PM
MaureenB

If you found great rates at the Hotel Jerome, I'd go for it, unless you want a condo with a fireplace. It is at the bottom of the hill from the ski area, walking through town. An easy walk, probably 5 minutes (unless you're wearing ski boots, which I wouldn't suggest). Go to the website for Aspen Mountain, for information regarding ski lockers. I am pretty sure I saw some. If you want to ski the other mountains, ask the Jerome if they have shuttle services. I think the town offers a free shuttle, too.
You're lucky! We're getting tons of snow already in Colorado.
)gt;-

Old Oct 30th, 2006, 02:45 PM
MaureenB

I keep mis-typing my icon:
>-

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -