First family ski trip! Deciding between Breck and Avon/BC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2016, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. Recently book our flight and rental to Denver arriving 1-20 till 1-23. My wife and I are taking our 6 and 8 year olds with to see snow for the first time. We'll be looking at skiing only for one day, with lessons. We want to do other activities like dog sledding and snow mobiling.

We are looking between staying at Breckenridge(Marriott Residence Inn/Mountain Thunder Lodge) and Avon(Westin Riverfront.) Looking at Avon just beacuse of the short gondola ride and short drive to vail.

I know we are booking almost last minute. Any help deciding between these two towns will be appreciated.

Thank you and happy holidays!
Old Dec 19th, 2016, 09:05 AM

Personally I would do Breckenridge since it is a more friendly town - actually a real town. It is a far more interesting town. It is walkable with a good free bus system with a number of restaurants that would be appropriate for kids.

I would skip the ski lessons - one day is just a waste of money since the learning experience would be very low. If you were going to be there for a full week, that would be a different situation. And, unfortunately, this is the time period when it can be (not always) super cold. It is the weekend after MLK so it should be fairly dead.

Vail is further at 25 miles but there is bus service between Vail and Breckenridge (not free). Not sure what your reference is to a short gondola ride in Avon. The only gondola serves a parking lot. (Unless something was added this year that I am not aware of.) You would need to drive to that lot and it fills up quick on busy days. At Mt Thunder Lodge's front door you can catch a bus to anywhere in Breckenridge.

And, if your interest is Vail, I would stay in Vail for the three days. In good weather Vail is about an hours drive from Breckenridge.
Old Dec 19th, 2016, 09:08 AM

PS. Should have added - from the Denver airport you can get to Breck in two hours while it will be three to Avon. What is your return time/departure on the 23rd?
Old Dec 19th, 2016, 09:09 AM

Breckenridge is a fun town with an adjacent mountain; Vail is a fun ski resort (the "town" is the ski village). Either would be great for a short trip.

P.S. I'd still do a short lesson, even for one day - unless you feel comfortable getting them on skis and taking them down the bunny hill (I never felt comfortable doing that myself with my kids). While it might not stick for next time, it'll give them some comfort that day. Take an early lesson, then spend the rest of the day "practicing".
Old Dec 19th, 2016, 09:26 AM

If you are only skiing one day, anyway, I suppose it doesn't matter that much as to the ski resort. But I thought the gondola in Avon went to Beaver Creek resort? You don't mention it but Avon is closest to that, isn't it? Beaver Creek and Vail are more high end/luxury resorts than Breckenridge. I haven't been there, but I thikn Beaver Creek is supposed to have a family friendly reputation and is smaller and perhaps less crowded than Vail.

I don't know about the other things you want at Beaver Creek. I know there is a company in Breckenridge that has trips for dog sledding, etc.
https://www.snowmobilecolorado.com/dogsledding.html
Old Dec 19th, 2016, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

My departure time is at 530 pm on the 23rd.

The gondola I was referencing,is the one servicing the westin riverfront.

The dog sledding will be a drive away at either resort,dont mind that.

I, atleast will do a ski lesson. We're from Miami, and who knows if the snow will be for us. Just want to experience skiing just in case we dont return.
Old Dec 19th, 2016, 10:08 AM

The gondola from the Westin goes to Beaver Creek, not Vail (they are nearby resorts, but you have to drive or bus from one to the other).

By the way, last winter, I went snowshoeing for the first time at Beaver Creek and it was a ton of fun (the mountain and the views from the mountain are truly spectacular)
Old Dec 19th, 2016, 10:31 AM

Some basic questions -

Is the 20st, Friday, you arrival date in Denver? Regardless of arrival time, you will not do much more than get checked in that day.

So you would have Saturday and Sunday in the mountains with return on Monday at 5.30. With a car rental drop, etc., you probably need to be back to DIA by 3pm.

So you are are really looking at two full days of activities.

Have any of you skied before? If so, how much?
Old Dec 19th, 2016, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your responses. Someone cleared it up forme, after taking the westin riverfront gondola, we'll still need to cath a shuttle into the village. I thought it was a short gondola ride into beaver creek town.

Do not know of we really want to visit Vail. Just thought it might be convenient to have another option for something to do during our stay.
Old Dec 19th, 2016, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

fmpden, our arrival at the airport is at 11am on friday and yes, I am planning to be back at DIA by 3pm.

I will be skiing but not my wife. I'd like the children to try it out, even if its for a day.

Many years of skiing and wake boarding experience only on water.
Old Dec 19th, 2016, 01:20 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Either would work for your family. Avon is Beaver Creek, part of the larger Vail resort. Beaver Creek is the more upscale area. We have spent a lot of time in Beaver Creek which has a large outdoor ice rink, even in the summer. I would highly recommend that you stay inside of Beaver Creek rather than in it's "support town", shops, grocery store, Walmart, etc, of Avon, on I-70.
Breckenridge would be a good choice too. You really can't go wrong.
Old Dec 19th, 2016, 03:32 PM

Ok, I am getting a better picture so I may rain on your parade a little bit because I think you have unrealistic expectations and understanding of what is involved with skiing.

Water skiing and wake boarding have little if any transfer skills. The big issue is that with water skiing you ski on your heals keeping the tips of your skis/board up. Snow ski is the exact opposite - on the balls of your feet, toes keeping the tips down and tail of the skis loose. Second, equally important, going downhill on a slippery surface requires the ability to control speed, direction, and the absolutely the ability to stop. Falling down is not a preferred option for stopping. None of that is important in water skiing. If your experience is limited to water, you will need just as much instruction, if not more to overcome prior habits, as your eight year old. So if you have the idea that you can just strap on a pair of skis and head downhill because you know how to water ski, that will not be the smartest approach. You even need a little instruction on how to enter and exit a chair lift so you can get up that slope.

I have skied for over 50 years, including four years of water skiing, have had two sons through ski school and currently have a six year old grand daughter starting the process. So I have some experience in this area.

The first day of ski school whether an adult or a child is simply getting use to the unnatural feeling of having to long sticks tied to your feet. Getting in and out of your skis, falling down, getting up, develop the necessary sense of balance, and how to do a snowplow for the sake of controlling speed and stopping. In other words just getting use to the equipment, the snow, and the environment. Adults will learn a little quicker but a one day lesson is not sufficient to get anyone on a slope in a safe condition.

The kids at 6 and 8 will proceed a little slower. The instructors will use more games with kids, they may see a magic carpet, and they will not use poles. Too dangerous. And helmets will be required for the kids. They will get a taste of playing in the snow but min exposure to anything resembling skiing.

My recommendations for non-skiing friends is that it will take at least four or five days just get the basics down. Take two days of ski school, practice a day, then half day lessons for another two to four days with practice the other half day.

With two days I would focus on having a good snow experience. Copper Mt (ten miles from Breck) has a great tubing hill and other non-skiing activities. In fact, if you objective is primary to get a skiing exposure, I would recommend Copper Mt. Has a great ski school facility and the mountain's trail system/layout is best in the area for beginning skiers. It is smaller area and much easier to get around.

Finally coming that quickly from Miami to 9,000 feet could cause some problems with altitude sickness. So you probably need to be prepared to take it easy but your schedule doesn't allow for that.

Apologize for being somewhat negative but two days is simply not enough to accomplish what you have suggested. Try to stretch it out a couple more days if not to a week. Everyone will be much happier - especially the kids. Good luck.
Old Dec 19th, 2016, 03:39 PM

Your kids will enjoy having a day to "ski" to tell their friends. Ski school for both you and them will put you in the right class.

You may be in the class with one of them!!
It's fun to just hang around the mountains, but with that VERY VERY short time, I would have ALL reservations made ahead of time and have your itineraries well in mind.
As said, stay IN a town--Breck, Beaver Creek, Vail wherever. You might want to consider Copper Mountain for their ski school. It's in the Breck/Vail area.
Old Dec 19th, 2016, 03:41 PM

Sorry - meant to include this in my above response.

.....Someone cleared it up for me, after taking the westin riverfront gondola, we'll still need to cath a shuttle into the village. I thought it was a short gondola ride into beaver creek town.....

First, there is no such thing as Beaver Creek town. There is no town. There is a base area of condos, small shops, restaurants, ticket offices, etc. that is Beaver Creek. The gondola will take you to another base area with chair lifts to the top and that would allow you to ski into the Beaver Creek base area. There is also a shuttle from that base area to Beaver Creek. For what you want to do, I would not recommend Beaver Creek.
Old Dec 19th, 2016, 03:50 PM

...You may be in the class with one of them!!....

Cute thought but that will not happen. They do not want big guys falling on or running into the little guys. Be sure to get a condo with a hot tub. You will need it after the first day. You will be so sore from using muscles that you didn't know you had.
Old Dec 19th, 2016, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the recommendations. Looks like Breckenridge may be a better fit. A friend recommended Keystone for the kids, any thoughts?

Fmpden, I had my big bottle of advil ready to go for the day of skiing! Might have revisit the thought of skiing for the day due to our short trip.

Thank you again all for the tremendous feedback.
Old Dec 19th, 2016, 05:19 PM

Keystone is another developed ski area like Vail. There is no real town there but a good ski area. Breckenridge is a true, old mining town with associated character. In fact, Breckenridge is the county seat for Summit County so it is a real town with grocery stores and everything. I would still recommend Breck over Keystone.
Old Dec 19th, 2016, 05:39 PM

Check this out ---

http://www.coppercolorado.com/winter...OTQyODM4ODQ5S0
Old Dec 19th, 2016, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

My neighbors leave to Copper tomorrow for the week. That's seems like a good deal.
Old Dec 20th, 2016, 03:12 AM

Copper has no town either but Frisco is a cute little town nearby served by a short bus ride to Copper. At Copper there is a facility called Woodward where snowboarders and trick skiers train as well as just kids and folks having fun. Your kids might like to "do" it.
As said, Breck offers a real town and your wife may like that for the shopping, although all the areas have nice shops to keep one busy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -