Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Single woman in need of a beach vacation!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2009, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks in advance for your advice - I have learned so much from all of you seasoned travelers! I am an unseasoned traveler and a single woman in her 30s who would like to go on a beach/resort vacation in late March. I would like to stay right on the beach, have full services on the beach (i.e. lounge chairs, food, drinks), and relative peace and quiet. Although I'm traveling alone, I am not interested in doing a lot of socializing - I need a break! I would also like to be at a resort where I won't feel compelled to leave it to eat if I don't want to. My budget is around $2000. I am departing from Boston, MA. I am focusing on Florida but would also welcome suggestions in the Caribbean. Thank you!
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

TTT
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 07:58 AM

Seaside or St Georges Island in Florida is a great option.

Check out the Riu Las Americanas in Cancun! If you want complete solitude check out Xpu-Ha Palace in Riviera Maya! Very tropical and secluded!

Have fun Planning
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 10:31 AM

Seaside and St. George are both great but not what the OP is looking for. She wants a resort. In late March you should head to South Florida.
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 10:53 AM

Check out the Westin in Freeport, Bahamas. The activites and outside restaurants are there, but you can totally stay in and lounge around by yourself if you want. Beautiful beach and pools.
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 10:54 AM
LN

YOu might consider The Colony on Longboat Key in late March. Fly into Sarasota and have a great, relaxing vacation on a gulf beach. I'm positive that they will take good care of you as the resort is beautiful, food is good and you can do as much or as little as you'd like.

For beach walk the sand is white, talcum-powder and there are not a lot of beach walkers either. It's quiet and peaceful. Bring a book or two.

How do I know - I live here and love it. And I've been to the Colony to visit a few times.
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 11:02 AM

Sarasota is a great idea, but I'd fly into Tampa and rent a car. It's only an hour and a half but the flights are (or used to be) much cheaper to TPA.

You may want to check out Naples for late March, as it is farther south and warmer in the spring.

Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 11:41 AM

My first thought was of Dreams resort in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 11:43 AM

Seaside is beautiful-- you could stay at the Watercolor Inn as it would give you that resort feel (but not sure of how much $$$). However, Seaside and St. Georges both can be cold at that time of the year and getting there may be expensive/difficult (fly into Panama City, Fort Walton Beach or Pensacola.

I haven't been to The colony but I have heard it is nice, especially if you like to play tennis.

Naples is for an older crowd IMO.

Bahamas can be cool at that time of the year.

South Beach could be fun, but it may be too loud for you.

How about Puerto Rico or Jamaica? I am sure there are nonstop flights at a reasonable price from Boston to these locations. I have seen a lot of advertised deals for these locations as well so they may fit into your budget. Other locations in the Caribbean may be too expensive.

Another option may be Mexico. We got really cheap flights to fly to Cancun this March and I have noticed that NONE of the hotels seem to be filled so you probably can get a good deal.

Just some thoughts...
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 11:48 AM

Now is not the best time to visit Mexico.
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 11:51 AM

>>Now is not the best time to visit Mexico.

Why not? I just returned from one of my favorite vacations ever to Cozumel, Mexico and am planning a trip later this year to Puerto Vallarta.

To the OP...my first thought was also Puerto Vallarta for you. See that Dreams was already recommended. Also check out Marriott Casa Magna in the marina district.
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 12:37 PM

Lago Mar Resort Fort Lauderdale

Ritz Carltons:
Palm Beach
Key Biscayne
South Beach
Naples

Breakers Resort

Boca Raton Resort
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 12:47 PM

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND...

The Ritz Carlton Cancun. It is the most beautiful place in the world. Going solo is great and you won't have to do a thing. They will wait on you hand and foot.

Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone! I am looking forward to getting home, making a mug of hot chocolate and doing some serious web surfing to check out all of your suggestions!
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

I booked my trip! I am going to Turks and Caicos and staying at the Royal West Indies Resort. March 17 - 22. Thanks to all and especially beachdreams3 on the Caribbean board for her extensive trip reports and reviews on Tripadvisor - they were so informative. I can't wait to experience it for myself. Just a few short weeks away! The Royal West Indies is doing a special - pay for 4 nights and get the 5th free by the way. I will post a trip report when I get home. Thanks again!