Reasonable toddler friendly beach resort

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for a beach resort with a nice pool area, two room suite, family friendly for the first week in March 05. Don't want the spring break crowd. Hoping for a two room suite for $200-250 a night. That might be wishful thinking. Open to suggestions. Aside from the beach, someplace with some available day trips would be good as well. Maybe a zoo or nature park etc.
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Oh we were looking somewhere in Florida, other than that we are open to suggestions.
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 04:05 PM

We used to take our little ones to Sanibel Island at the end of March.
That was away from the spring break crowd.Ding Darling Nature Preserve and Fort Meyers are good day things to do.
We taught my son to fish on the Sanibel Pier lol..
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 05:30 PM

You might want to also consider the Tradewinds property on St. Pete Beach. The Island Grand is the most family-friendly of the group. There are actually 5 pools and one specifically for kids as well as some fun paddle boats around the property. There are regular guest rooms and suites on the property. You could head to Tampa (approx 45 mins) for a trip to Lowry Park Zoo or Busch Gardens.
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 05:33 PM

We took our toddler to Hilton Head this past summer. The beaches are very nice and lots of family-friendly condos (with playgrounds, kiddie pools, etc). Lots of golf and family-friendly restaurants.
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 07:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
www.lafiestainn.com

very nice bi-level suites
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 07:39 AM
GoTravel

Hilton Head may still be too chilly for beach weather in March.

Miami beach would be nice and it would be warm. Parrott Jungle and the Miami Metro Zoo would be a great trip.

Old Nov 15th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. I checked out the Island Grand and it seems to be just the type of place we are looking for. Thanks for the suggestion. Any tips on how to find the most affordable rate? Also how is Tampa/St. Petersburg in early March?
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 05:56 AM

I posted last night but it didn't take. Something seems to be amiss at Fodors.

Anyway, I like the Tradewinds myself but others aren't so happy with it (see tripadvisor.com). There are supposedly a couple or three hotels in one at this site but it's the main older building where I've been. I think kids like it because of the moat, the rooms are spacious, it is a large boisterous place. You might also check out the Alden which is next door, and the Bonaire Resort a few doors down (very reasonable, clean, well-appointed).

For a toddler, I highly recommend you go to Sunken Gardens. This is an older tourist park that has recently been turned over to the city. It has wide-open places for toddler running, and is exotic and tropical. There is also a hands-on Childrens Museum. The admission charge is very reasonable, under $10 I think.

Busch Gardens is toddler friendly although most of the rides are not for children under 48" or so. But it is actually a large zoo with sky-rides and sky-trains through the park, and plenty of wildlife where the toddler can get very close. And it has a small area set aside specifically for the youngest set with a balloon pit, cargo rope ladders, a tree house, and water fountains.

Lowery Park in Tampa has a manatee exhibit as well as plenty of other animal exhibits and lots of space for toddlers to run around.