Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Single Dining - Midtown E. or W. NYC - Suggestions?

Single Dining - Midtown E. or W. NYC - Suggestions?

Aug 25th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Single Dining - Midtown E. or W. NYC - Suggestions?

I have a client coming in from out of town this evening who would rather dine out than order room service. She'd like to keep it within Midtown E. or W., fairly high-end but not outrageous (say not Le Barnardin), and somewhere she will feel comfortable dining solo. Suggestions welcome.
Aug 25th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

That should be Le Bernardin... typo.
Aug 25th, 2009, 09:34 AM

Since it's a Tuesday, she might have a few choices, though restaurants seem to be pretty busy right now. If she eats early, she is most likely to find more single diners. Plus, it will be easier to get a table very early or late. Here are a few places that come to mind.

She might be able to get a table at The Modern (bar room). The nice thing is that the menu is all small plates, so even dining solo, she can still have 3 nice little courses and not be stuffed. Wines by the glass are good there.

Sushi is a reliable standard for a single diner since you can sit at the sushi bar. Hatsuhana (on east 48th) is nice.

Aquavit has a bar room as well, and you'll often see single diners in there, though you don't get the more interesting dishes in the bar room.

I wouldn't hesitate to eat at Marseilles alone. It's a busy place with small tables and a nice prix-fixe menu, though not as upscale as some of the other places.

If she were willing to go downtown, Gotham and Union Square Cafe both allow dining at the bar and are popular. Gramercy Tavern also has a bar room with a simpler, cheaper menu, but I don't think any of these places allow reservations, which are important unless you are eating really early or really late.

I'm not particularly fond of the food there, but Michael Jordan steakhouse has tables in its bar that overlook the main area of Grand Central, and that would be a good place to eat alone and people-watch. But the food is just ok.

Regardless, make reservations asap.
Aug 25th, 2009, 09:41 AM

I too was going to recommend Aquavit.
Aug 25th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Doug. I had suggested a couple of options downtown, but she wasn't into that (that would be my preference). We're taking her to The Modern (dining room) tomorrow for lunch so I think Aquavit sounds perfect, and will also check out Marseilles. Thanks again!!
Aug 25th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

And thanks to you Aduchamp.

Search this Thread