Search

Simple Lodging Near Theaters

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2004, 08:19 PM
cts
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simple Lodging Near Theaters

My 17-year old and I want to do our first visit to NYC mainly for theater, and some as-yet-undecided-off-the-beaten path exploring. We enjoy hostels but I want to be able to R&R during the day if we'll be out late. We're happy with simple accomadations, would love to be able to cook or heat stuff in a microwave occasionally. Chelsea Hotel was recommended but described as "old"-is that the same location as the Four Points Chelsea? Are there any other suggestions (near theater district or on public transportation route)? Any tips on getting play tickets? We're hoping we can pull this together for Thankesgiving vacation but I may be too late to be starting. Alternative date could be Christmas (probably all sold out?)or a vacation week in February. Or should we wait for Spring Break?
Thanks
cts
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 09:49 PM

Take a look at broadwayinn.com and portlandsquarehotel.net

I can't remember the place where we got some discounted tickets, maybe playbill.com?
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 11:34 PM

Look at the Portsland Square website as recommended by tracys2cents. Looks pretty good and you could probably get a room for Thanksgiving if you don't mind sharing a bed. Also on that website you can click on other budget hotels and there are others to choose from. Since you mentioned hostels, I would assume you are looking for budget hotels. What is your price range?

The Chelsea Hotel sounds pretty scary and if you are going for theater, it would be better to be in the Times Square area.

As far as tickets, it depends on what you want to see. I only pay full price for a show that is constantly sold out and is something I must see. Otherwise, I use the TKTS 1/2 price booth and you can get seats for many of the shows. I have been lucky and have always gotten decent seats through TKTS. Your daughter would also be elgible for student rush tickets (usually $25)- you have to line up at the box office at a certain time before each show begins. However
you would have to purchase your ticket and you wouldn't be sitting together.

If you could find a hotel room in your budget, Thanksgiving would be doable. You would also be there for the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade if that is of any interest. Weather wise, I think they'd be about the same. We went once for spring break (April). The first two days were rainy and freezing cold however the weather did get a little nicer after that.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 11:36 PM

Meant to say, weather wise all dates would be about the same except for possibly Spring Break.
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 04:03 AM

Have you looked at Habitat Hotel? It's not IN the theater district but cetainly within easy walking distance. Nice Midtown east location, queen bed accommodations begin at $115. It's very busy and can get noisy, but might be worth a look. 150 E. 57th St.; 212-753-8841, the website is: habitat-ny.com

Although it might be tough to "win" a room due to the holiday, have you considered using Priceline?
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 05:06 AM

The Chelsea Hotel, on 23rd Street, is a mile from the theater district.
As for discount theater tickets, Thanksgiving and Christmas times are among the busiest of the year for the theater. There will be some shows on discount, but not a big number of them.
The aforementioned student tickets is a good option. I'm not sure whether a student can buy two tickets or just one for herself/himself. Another discount possibility is the lottery a lot shows have at around $25 as well for front area tickets.
Finding low priced accommodations in the theater district will not be easy, especially at these peak tourist times.
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 05:27 AM

There are several web sites you can use to get info/tickets for Broadway/off-Broadway at 25 - 50% off - in advance, including playbill.com.

the only problem is that thanksgiving and Christmas are the busiest/most expensive times of year - both for hotels and for theater (shows that are usually in discounts may pull them for the Holidays).

If you provide your hotel budget people may be able to make specific recos.
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 03:05 PM

Here's the URL for an article I came across on cheap hotels. I can't vouch for any of them personally so do your homework on tripadvisor. A few but not all have kitchenettes. I think the Chelsea Lodge does get good reviews on tripadvisor while some of the others do not. As Howard points out, Chelsea is not really near the theater district, but will be a more interesting neighborhood imo. There are also 2 places I've seen listed in the village, the Morton St. Suites and the Minetta Lane suites. I think they're very basic student type of places but...I've also read about the Union Square Inn that sounds like it could be OK. I'd just urge you to read all reviews on tripadvisor before booking any place. In this price category, you could wind up in a welfare hotel type of place w/o realizing it.
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 03:09 PM

Sorry, I forgot to give you the URL

http://newyorkmetro.com/urban/guides...vel/hotels.htm

For discount theater tickets in addition to playbill.com, theatermania.com, broadwaybox.com, hitshowclub.com

There are also a few places on the upper west side with kitchens like the Beacon and the Milburn.
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 06:36 PM

Chelsea Hotel is an okay hotel and an easy subway ride from Times Square. Four Points is about two blocks away and a nice choice. Very cheap chic.
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 06:44 PM

I'd try Priceline.
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 08:33 PM
cts
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. I don't have a rigid budget but if we could find something for $100-$150 (especially if there was any food heating/cooking opportunity) and a location where we could walk (to theaters)or use public tranportation, we'd be good. I'm beginning to think we'd get more for our money and maybe fewer lines/crowds in Feb. when my daughter has a 10 day vacation and it's not "high season". We would love to see Avenue Q if it's still in NY. Also, might want to visit 1-2 colleges (that have good technical theater programs-NYC and ?) But I don't want to run us ragged trying to do too much-she'd probably be fine but I might not.
Paula1470-Why is Chelsea Hotel scary?
Thanks,
cts
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 11:59 PM

cts-I said the Chelsea Hotel sounds scary after reading the reviews on tripadvisor and other places. I know the hotel is bohemian and has lots of history. I also know that staying there is not the same as staying in an upscale hotel or even the common chain type hotel. The hotel was doing some renovations but based on some of the reviews, the renovations didn't help the cleanliness or grunge. I am all for trying different places for the experience but I want my hotel to be clean. The prices weren't all that economical either. The Chelsea Lodge mentioned by mclaurie seems to be pretty good. As she said check tripadvisor for reviews.

You will have to decide if you want to stay in the village or closer to Times Square. I usually stay closer to Times Square because I go to many shows and it is more convenient. My daughters do like the village, though.

Going in February would probably be your best bet. As you said you will have less lines,better opportunity for show tickets and hotel rooms are more economical. I just checked with Hotel Belvedere for February and you can get a room for $125. This was through this website. http://hotelbelvederenewyork.com/
(This website is a broker but offers the $125).
The direct website of the hotel is:
www.belvederehotelnyc.com but their prices are a little higher. If you are interested you could always contact the hotel and see if they would give you the lower rate directly.

The rooms are good sized and have a refrigerator and microwave. You will just need to bring some plastic silverware and plates. The hotel is in a great location for the theater district. Check out their reviews on tripadvisor. If you don't like that hotel, I am sure others in the area are offering good rates in February.
Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 04:12 AM

I agree with Paula. Feb. is a great idea, much cheaper than Thanks. or Dec. Just remember there's a 3 day holiday weekend for Pres. Day and I think Valentine's day falls on the Sat. nite of it so that weekend will be busy.

I agree with starsville, based on what you describe, using Priceline, assuming it's just for the 2 of you (PL no good for rooms for 3) is your very best bet for getting a nice hotel at a cheap rate. You may be able to get a very good hotel for $100 give or take (but probably no kitchen). If you go to biddingfortravel.com and/or betterbidding.com you'll see the prices people are paying and which hotels they're getting. Prices have been higher this fall, even on PL. One hotel that a lot of people seem to like is the Courtyard Midtown East. They are the only midtown east hotel with a 2.5 star rating so bidding that assured that hotel. People were winning it for $65-95/night depending on season.

If you're prepared to pay up to $150 and really want a hotel with a kitchen, you might be able to get one of the Affinia all suite hotels (affiniahotels.com) They're mostly not near the theater district but in decent locations for transportation. Lastminutetravel.com recently had their Beekman Towers for $149. This is a lovely hotel but would require a crosstown bus to get to the theater district. Look into the Beacon and the Millburn that I mentioned earlier. They're on the upper west side, a good neighborhood for you and also have kitchens.

Not sure what you mean by "technical" theater programs. Look at

Juilliard http://www.juilliard.edu/home-flash.html
American Academy of Dramatic Arts
aada.org
NY film academy nyfa.com
the Lee Strasberg theater institute
strasberg.com

On tickets, the website tdf.org shows what's been available recently at the TKTS booths and also should have info on student tickets. If you want to see Avenue Q, I'd try to get tickets ASAP. They haven't been available at a discount. A lot of things will be opening between now and Feb.

Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 05:30 AM

Theaterwise, you're much better off coming in February, which is one of the slow seasons. Should you be here during a snowstorm, you would have a great chance for theater tickets, since there would a lot of cancellations because of the weather!
As for Avenue Q, you MIGHT be able to get tickets at TKTS in February for a midweek performance.
As a general comment about discount offers, you probably won't see anything for February until after the Christmas season. Then, check the aforementioned websites (playbill, etc.).
Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 09:52 AM

cts - If your daughter wants to visit a few colleges then February would be the right time to go. You could get a tour and maybe even sit in on a class if you arrange it ahead of time.

I really like the Belvedere Hotel for its location and the fact that it has the fridge and microwave. However, you probably would get a good deal on Priceline in February and if you are saving that extra money, having the kitchen facilities may not be as important.

As far as technical theater colleges are concerned, there are quite a few 4 yr programs in and around NYC (within a hr). Some to visit might be:
NYU
Marymount Manhattan
Fordham
Hofstra - Long Island
Sarah Lawrence - White Plains
SUNY Purchase - White Plains area
(To you New Yorkers, hopefully I got the cities right!!)

I know the SUNY Purchase program is very strong and my daughter has a friend studying theater that is going to Sarah Lawrence-she loves it there (and she is a Californian).
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:09 AM

I am always in NYC mid Feb and have been staying at Days Inn, Hojo on 8th or Super8. what ever is cheaper. Right now I have Super8 for $109/night (plus taxes $$$$). Keep checking, frequent price changes and easy to cancel and rebook.
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 03:27 PM
cts
Original Poster

Thanks for all the feedback. We went ahead and splurged on tickets to AVE Q and Wicked. Now I'm trying to decide how to spend the other 4 days. We want to be out and get a sense of the different neighborhoods but it will be Feb . . What are some off-the-beaten path things to try/what is one thing we must do while in NYC (other than theater & museums)?
cts
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 07:08 AM

Portland Square is your place if you are looking for simple, basic, and clean. It's all about location. PS is right around the corner from TKTS, there's a great little deli across the street, and the price is unbeatable. I've stayed there twice when I was looking to save money on accommodations. I would much rather have a cheaper room at a good location and spend my money on show tickets and dining.
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 08:09 AM

I've been able to get 4star hotels in the theatre district for less than $100 on Priceline. Check out www.biddingfortravel.com to get an idea of which hotels and what to bid.

The Walking and Tasting Tour in Greenwich Village is wonderful. A great way to spend a few hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -