Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Silver Lake Sand Dunes, Michigan - can a 45 and 60 year old do it on ATV's?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2006, 02:58 PM
amaclise

Renting ATV's (4 wheel) at Silver Lake Sand Dunes looks awesome. Can a very in shape 60 y o and a 45 y o in decent shape do it? Or are we nuts?

Also, does anyone know about the parking vouchers you seem to need from the DNR to park at Silver Lake? Their system is very hard to understand (like how you get the passes, when they're good, etc.)

Thanks! You could save us a trip to the hospital.

Old Jul 20th, 2006, 04:58 PM
amaclise

ttt?

Old Jul 20th, 2006, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SIL and her family have 4-wheelers. Even my 17 yo nephew complained about sore arms after a long ride recently. They were on wooded trails, not dunes.

Silver Lake is a state park and requires an entry fee. This is yearly or daily. ORV's also need permits. Do you have your own or are you renting them? If you are renting them, the dealer should have the needed permits. Hope this helps.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 05:29 PM
amaclise

Thank you. That is helpful. It sounds like we maybe crazy...?

Old Jul 20th, 2006, 05:40 PM

I don't think I've been there specifically, but did rent ATV's once at other dunes in MI. It was pretty shaky, especially since I think the rentals don't have the power of some of the souped up ones you'll see out there, and so had trouble going up some hills. that said, i don't think it'd cause anytthing you'd regret, physically, if you really want to i'd go for it.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 07:46 PM

You can do a Jeep tour where you drive a (not your own) Jeep Wrangler following a leader. They are there to help you if you get stuck, etc...and you communicate by a two-way radio - they tell you things like don't let up on the gas when climbing a dune and help you navigate some of the one-ways.

My sister and I did it last summer; she was the only lady driving.

The ATVs, on weekends, can line up down the street and the wait can be hours - they only let in a certain amount. And you need a regulation flag for your ATV - it has to be a certain height which can be seen from high/low points of the dunes.