Lake Murray, Oklahoma

Old Oct 21st, 2003, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lake Murray, Oklahoma

Our family is considering meeting for the Christmas holidays at Lake Murray resort in Oklahoma (near Ardmore)--my brother's family of 6, my family of 4, my dad, and his lady friend. Does anyone have any info on this place, such as what the cabins are like, cleanliness, etc. Any info would be helpful. Thanks.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Anyone???
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 09:06 AM

I went there several times as a kid, but haven't been for at least 30 years.

As kids, our idea of heaven was Lake Murray. We used to like renting small sailboats and going out on the lake. What my brother and I used to love about the cabins was that they were infested with pillbugs. We thought this was wonderful, but my mom refused to go back after her first experience there. I'm assuming that there has been a lot of renovation since then. But I'd worry that it remains a pillbug habitat. I'd also be concerned that without the opportunity of going out onto the lake, there wouldn't be much to do. Maybe it's better to save for summer.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks travellyn. I guess Lake Murray isn't a travel destination for Fodorites! Oh well. Guess we will take our chances. My brother checked at Lake Murray and they are supposed to be having some things going on for the holidays. Also, if the weather is nice enough, there are some hiking trails. Since the main purpose of the trip is to get the families together, I'm sure we will find things to do. The kids are pretty good at entertaining themselves.

PS--What are pillbugs?
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 01:37 PM

Same as doodlebugs.
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 05:39 PM
Ally75

Pillbuggs are also called rolypolys. They won't hurt you at all.
My husband LOVES Lake Murray--it's a beautiful lake in a beautiful setting--very popular. I can't comment on the cabins, but you could call the parks department and get an idea of the age, if there are cooking supplies, etc. I would imagine they keep them up to date, at least clean and in good working order since it is a popular area. I think that would be a wonderful place. Do check about heating, as that could be cold that time of year, with ice on the roads in the Arbuckle Mountains. Or it could be 60 degrees.

Old Nov 19th, 2003, 06:21 PM

Lake Murray is good for family reunion type events. There is plenty for the kids to do as well as the adults but it is also a very pretty, peaceful place to just relax, rest, talk, etc. I have only stayed at the group camp at Lake Murray, but the state park cabins I have stayed in (Lake Wister, Roman Nose, Robbers Cave, Western Hills) have been very clean and nice.
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Hi. Just wanted to give a report on our stay at Lake Murray. We had a great time. It was very relaxing; the area is very scenic. Our family stayed in three different cabins. My dad's cabin was small--one bedroom with twin beds, living room with small refrigerator and microwave. It also had a Murphy bed, but it wasn't used. My cabin was a bit larger, with a bedroom with full sized bed as well as a futon in the living room. It had a separate, small kitchen with 2-burner stove, small refrigerator, but no microwave. My brother's cabin was the largest. It had a large living area, which also contained the kitchenette. His kitchen had a small refrigerator, 2-burner stove and microwave. There were 2 bedrooms, one with a full sized bed, the other with 2 twins. This cabin also had a Murphy bed, but again, it was not used. Both my cabin and my brother's had fireplaces, which we used everyday. The kids enjoyed sleeping on the floor in front of the fire each night.

The cabins are rather old, but some on the grounds have been renovated (not any of ours). We were very satisfied with the accomodations, but we had expected them to be somewhat rustic. I think that the cabins will be very nice when they have been renovated. The bathrooms especially could use some work.

The general manager of the resort was very friendly and helpful. In fact, all the the people that worked there seemed to be especially friendly. They had several activities planned for the holidays--a hayride, followed by Christmas karaoke singing and hot chocolate on Christmas Eve. The kids got to decorate stockings, which were filled by "Santa" overnight and were available to picked up Christmas morning. On Christmas Day, there was a large buffet (which we paid extra for). The food was pretty good and the best part was that I didn't have to cook it or clean up afterward!

Overall, our entire family really enjoyed our stay there. We would like to go back sometime, just for a little get away. Don't expect lavish accomodations and you probably won't be disappointed.
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 07:22 PM

Next time you might want try Quartz Mountain in the Wichita Mountains in the southwestern quadrant of the state. The suites, dorms, and central office have been styled in the Oklahoman and southwestern style. Check it out!!