Places to stay in Kentucky with family!

Old Jun 26th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Places to stay in Kentucky with family!

Help! I am looking very last minute to book a place to stay with our family in Kentucky. We are looking for a place that is a cabin or cottage, nothing fancy, on a lake that our kids can fish and swim in, take a canoe around in, hiking and general relaxing on a vacation away from home. We have 2 kids, 9 and 4 1/2. I've looked into several sites already but I was wondering if anyone has ever stayed or knows of a place that perhaps I am just not finding. I've looked on vrbo.com, lakehouses.com and away.com. We have the weeks of July 24-Aug. 5. Any ideas? Oh, we live in Chicago and want to drive no more than 8 hrs. Thanks!
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 07:04 PM

Look at Kentucky Lake - Lake Barkley - Land between the Lakes area. Most of what you are looking for is there. Try going onto State of Kentucky website and find state parke information. Should be no more than 4-5 hours from Chicago.
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 07:08 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
How about Lake Cumberland, Ky? Rent a cabin or a houseboat.
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

I've heard of Land between the Lakes and I'll look there again...little to choose from so late in the game. Cumberland Lake i have not heard of. Is there a lot to do in that area? I like the Kentucky Lake idea as it seems there are a lot of things to do there...anything in particular to look at or do while in either place?
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 09:05 AM
cd

I think your family would love to take a houseboat vacation on Lake Cumberland! No previous experience needed, they tell you all you need to know and someone else takes you FROM the marina and BACK to the marina. While you're on the lake you just run your boat up on the shore and tie off when you want to stop for some beach time or sleep for the night. They have slides off the top deck into the water...Our grandkids loved it!
Old Jun 28th, 2011, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

Hmm, never thought about a house boat before...something to really look into. THanks for the idea! Anyone out there hear of being on some of the smaller lakes in KY? My concern is that we may be too far from other things to do other than jump in the lake for a week. I appreciate all the comments, so please, keep them coming!