Sightbuggie Sees Los Angeles - an Ongoing Reel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 2015, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm taking a 3-month sabbatical to discover the very best of Los Angeles beginning 2016. What do you love about LA? Best restaurants, hiking trails, landmarks, museums, views, stores, etc? Sky's the limit. Thank you very much.
Old Dec 16th, 2015, 02:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
What time of year? Starting in October, as mentioned in your other thread, or some other time? 3 months is long, so knowing what 3 months is helpful!

Now that I think of it, this might be the start of a great thread on Los Angeles by the month!

Before I forget, the Broad (of Eli Broad fame, pronounced "Brode") contemporary art museum opened in downtown LA and has been getting RAVE reviews and you have to get advance tickets (free), although they are already 3 months booked. Go to http://www.thebroad.org/visit/reserve-free-tickets. The infinity mirrored room will only be there until March, 2016. Which reminds me. I need to book immediately to get in!
Old Dec 16th, 2015, 02:36 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I grew up in LA so am fond of the classics: Chinatown, Olvera Street, Griffith Park, La Brea Tar Pits, Walk of the Stars, Hollywood sign, Farmers' Market.
Old Dec 16th, 2015, 02:44 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK - you've decided on LA . . . but your other thread says you don't want a car.

3 months in LA w/o a car will be tough.
Old Dec 16th, 2015, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great suggestions. Beginning January 2016 and I will have a car plus Uber.
Old Dec 16th, 2015, 03:10 PM

And he wanted a "walkable city" so something has changed to make Los Angeles the winner.
Old Dec 16th, 2015, 04:06 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Here are some suggestions I have compiled over the years on my website (with photos)

Places to see (mostly in the L.A. area)...

http://travelswithmaitaitom.com/california-dreaming-1/

Places to dine...

http://travelswithmaitaitom.com/toms-dining/

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

By the way, we love the Fern Dell hike up to the Griffith Observatory

http://www.simpsoncity.com/hiking/griffith/ferndell.html

This should all give you a start.

Old Dec 16th, 2015, 10:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
www.discoverlosangeles.com
Old Dec 17th, 2015, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the links everyone. You and Tracy are looking happy and sharp I enjoyed your blog with photos very much. Which Farmer's Market, suze? I reserved to see Broad in March, right up my alley. So much to see in LA looking forward to more of your suggestions. Thanks.
Old Dec 17th, 2015, 08:09 AM

The old-timey, original one in Fairfax neighborhood.
http://www.farmersmarketla.com/
Old Dec 17th, 2015, 10:47 AM

Huntington Library and Gardens in Arcadia is nice, not too many flowers in January though they do have a cactus, Japanese and I think Chinese garden. It is in Arcadia so you want to drive there.
Old Dec 17th, 2015, 11:42 AM

Of course both Santa Monica & Venice Beach!
Old Dec 17th, 2015, 11:47 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Agree with Jamie...Huntington Library and Gardens is a great visit, especially as Spring arrives.

http://travelswithmaitaitom.com/the-huntington-library-art-collections-botanical-gardens-san-marino/

Here's the Farmer's Market, too. Check out the Lotería Grill for Mexican food while you are there.

http://travelswithmaitaitom.com/the-farmers-market-los-angeles/

Old Dec 20th, 2015, 01:00 PM

Drive down to Laguna Beach, it is beautiful and January is
the perfect time of year to vist, less crowds.

Maybe Palm Springs, not too far of a drive or the other way
to Santa Barbara.

Beverly Hills is worth a walk through. Maybe the Larchmont
area.
Old Dec 22nd, 2015, 10:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the great suggestions, almost there.
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Los Angeles has been misty, rainy and drizzly for days though today it is sunny again. I was lucky to obtain sold out tickets to the Rain Room at the LACMA and enjoyed the whimsical experience very much, also the Frank Gehry exhibit that featured over 200 models and drawings never seen before. I also returned to the Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica which dramatically changed since I was there few years ago but The Gap, Brookstone and Johnny Rockets remain. It was very nostalgic to be there and hearing the street performers. I'm missing the ocean so planning to take a drive to Malibu via the Pacific Coast Highway and stop for lunch somewhere overlooking the water. I don't know where yet any suggestions appreciated. Thanks very much.
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 08:32 AM

Moonshadows for lunch, and tomorrow is supposed to be warm and sunny.
http://www.moonshadowsmalibu.com/
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 11:33 AM

Duke's in Malibu is better than Moonshadow (have eaten at both and they are both good) although on Mondays they are not open for lunch, 3pm onward only. Gives you a taste of Hawaii.
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for both your suggestions. I know I'll go back to Malibu to try them out. I took a drive to see the blue coast and hit a little traffic before getting on the PCH but not too bad, took maybe 20 minutes. It was a difficult decision to pick Nobu because of all the tempting restaurants but it turned out to be a good decision. Lunch on the terrace. I should have brought my hat. The sun was blasting in my face but the air was cool so a good balance of heat and cold. The sushi was refreshing and delicious and cocktails were strong. The ocean was literally and incredibly next to me. Life is good. There's a house next to it built with same exterior wood and style. I thought that was interesting. Maybe the boss lives there. Then I stopped to walk around Malibu Village and bought coffee for the nice scenic drive back.

I'd like to hike on Saturday morning, somewhere with incline, so might check out some of the trails there. If you have input on trails 3-5 miles in distance that go by nice vistas please send them my way. Thanks.
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 11:12 AM

Solstice Canyon might be nice for your hike. Check out the yelp reviews as there is advice regarding the limited parking situation etc. Stick close to other hikers because there is wildlife in the area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -