Shuttle launch traffic question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're flying into Orlando early morning on March 18th and driving straight to Melbourne Beach area. I see there's a shuttle launch around 1:30 that day and I'm wondering if we are going to run into traffic jams. We've never been in the area during a launch so don't know what to expect.

Also, as long as we're in the neighborhood, can you recommend a good place to watch the launch.? We don't have to be right in the thick of things, but would like to watch it if possible.

Thanks!
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 05:44 AM

You can probably see it fairly well with the naked eye from Melbourne Beach if you look to the north. That is, if there is not too much cloud cover. If you want a better view (without the crowds) you should be able to see even better from the beach in Cocoa Beach. I suspect (but don't know for sure) that there will be some increase in traffic on A1a in Cocoa Beach shortly before launch time. The real traffic will be immediately after the launch when the crowds flood the highways including State Road 528 (AKA the Beachline) going back to Orlando.

If 321go picks up on this thread, you will get a more reliable and perhaps accurate answer.

Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Orlando_Vic. Perhaps we'll take a chance and head to Cocoa Beach. And thankfully we will be going in the opposite direction of the post launch traffic.
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 06:06 AM

Hi Vic!

Buffalo Gal, you can get a (distant) view of the shuttle from Melbourne Beach unless there is a lot of cloud cover, as OrlandoVic says. And yes, traffic on the Beachline and A1A north of State Road 520 in Cocoa Beach will be heavy before and worse than heavy after the launch. However, you won't see as much traffic south of 520, and even less in Melbourne Beach.

There are a number of parks on the beach (Lori Wilson, Fischer) in Cocoa Beach that have good facilities and from which you'll get a good view. You could combine the shuttle launch with lunch at one of downtown (A1A and Minutemen Causeway) Cocoa Beach's restaurants: Roberto's (Cuban), Simply Delicious (homemade everything), Yen-Yen (Chinese) or Coconuts (beer and burgers).

My usual caveat: shuttle launches can be delayed or scrubbed right down to the last second of the countdown.
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, 321. The lunch reco's all sound really good.
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 06:19 AM

Ohhhhh yeah, Coconuts......

I've had some great power walks from Sandcastle condos down to Coconuts and then strolling back 'cause the margaritas "made" me slow down........ Damn margaritas, anyway.....
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 06:46 AM

I can easily second the Yen-Yen recommendation. This is no "ordinary" Chinese restaurant. The menu is eclectic and very creative...and everything is very tasty too.

Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 06:56 AM

The Cocoa Beach pier is an excellent vantage point. Take A1A up to 520, turn right to Atlantic, and about 4 blocks north is the pier. The charge $1 or $2 to go out on the pier for a launch, but it's a good view and close enough for sound effects. At MB you are too far away to hear.