Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

riu tequila - how far is it from the beach?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for a budget vacation to an AI in Riviera Maya. The price is right for RIU tequila but I am concerned about the location listed as "not on the beach". How far is it from the beach? Do you have to cross the highway or is it just a walkable pathway through the resorts?
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 03:25 AM
KVR

Directly from the RIU web-site:

"A tropical garden path opposite the Riu Yucatan hotel provides easy access to the resort’s beach club, just a short stoll away. A beach shuttle is also available."

"800 m / 2,650 ft. from the beach (complimentary shuttle)"
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 03:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know you have to cross a highway from one of the Ruis but I'm not sure which one.
Have you looked into the Akumal Beach Resort? Only a three star, but on a GREAT beach and you can walk into the town of Akumal.
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 03:49 AM

No, you do not have to cross a highway to get to the beach from the Tequila. I have stayed there twice. They recently completed a total renovation last Nov/Dec. The Tequila guests use the Riu Yucatan beach. To get to the beach you walk out the front entrance of the Tequila and either get on the tram to take you across the street or walk out the entrance, across the road which is cobblestone and not a place where there is a lot of traffic (it is in Playacar)and then down a walkway which is shaded by bouganvilla to the beach. You can eat breakfast and lunch at the Yucatan if you choose to. I've stayed at the Yucatan also and was happy with both. There are three Riu's right next to each other there. The Riu Yucatan is on the beach with the Riu Palace Mexico right next door and facing the Tequila. The Tequila is across the street.
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 03:51 AM

If you take the tram it will be a three minute ride, if you walk add on a few more. Depends on how much you have to take with you. The tram also takes people back from the beach. It runs all day. The walkway is for Riu guests only.