Search

3 days in Orlando

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 days in Orlando

We have 3 days in Orlando with 2 daughters, 15 and 12 years old. We visited the Disney Parks a couple of years ago and want to try others this year. Looking for recommendations... Sea World, Discovery Cove, Universal? I'd love to hear about others experiences/ ideas.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 07:12 PM

Go to Universal. Stay at one of the three Lowe's Hotels and you automatically get a front of the line pass. We stayed at the Royal Pacific and had a blast in August. Great pool area. Nice resort. Walking distance to the 2 Universal Theme parks.
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 03:13 AM

Discovery Cove is amazing! However, there is so much more to do in Orlando than theme parks....
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

What would you recommend?
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 05:42 AM

If you're going to be there after the beginning of June you may be able to visit Universal's new Harry Potter world. They haven't announced the official opening date yet but it is expected to be sometime around then.

I know you said you've done Disney before but Disney has some really great water parks. Typhoon Lagoon may be better with older kids. We've taken our two yong kids to Disney's Blizzard Beach and we've had a blast.

Agree with the recommendation to try and stay on-site as Universal if possible. Just be aware that the Loew's hotels can nickle and dime you with parking fees, etc.
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 05:44 AM

I would DEFINITELY recommend taking your daughters to the Grand Floridian Hotel (actually on Disney property but not in Disney) and have high afternoon tea. You have to make a reservation though. It is truly an experience for all ages. I have gone with my husband and my girlfriends and have had a fantastic time. They also have tea sandwiches, amazing pastries, and other food too. This hotel is simply beautiful. It is a grand victorian hotel. Princess Di has stayed here amongst others.....

When are you coming to Orlando? Based on your information, I will recommend more places....
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 05:46 AM

If I had to pick a hotel out of the three hotels on Universal property, it would be the Portofino Hotel. It is so unique and pretty and looks like you are in Italy.
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 07:16 AM

"What would you recommend?"

With three days, your time is limited. SeaWorld is an excellent choice. Also, kids love Gatorland http://www.gatorland.com/

A uniquely Florida, non-Disney activity would be to take an airboat ride. Boggy Creek Airboats http://www.bcairboats.com/locations.shtml is closest to the WDW/Lake Buena Vista areas...and they do have evening hours too. However, if you don't mind a short drive, I think the airboat rides at the Lone Cabbage Fish Camp at the St. John's River (where Orange & Brevard Counties meet) http://twisterairboatrides.tripod.com/index.html are a better experience because they use smaller airboats with fewer people crammed in.
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 08:46 AM

If your daughters enjoy thrill rides, then Universal's Islands of Adventure would be a great pick. If they like shopping, we've got plenty of that, from outlet malls to the upscale Mall at Millenia. Nature/Eco Adventure? Try the airboats, as OrlandoVic suggests, or try ziplining/horseback riding at http://www.floridaecosafaris.com/
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 08:59 AM

I wouldn't do the airboat rides. To me, it is kind of scary and I really don't want to be in a swamp with alligators. I would rather see them at Gatorland.

321go is right - Mall of Millenia is amazing, but I don't know if it is worth it to just go to a mall. You can do that anywhere. For a more unique experience, stroll along Park Avenue in Winter Park and enjoy the cobblestone streets and fantastic architecture. (European like) There is a park there for the kids to enjoy as well. Also, the town of Celebration is awesome as well. If you want to grab lunch you can go to Celebration, stroll the lovely town with the old fashioned buildings, have the kids run around in the parks, and you can take the girls to get pedicures at the nail place there.
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 09:15 AM

"I wouldn't do the airboat rides. To me, it is kind of scary and I really don't want to be in a swamp with alligators."

I must respectfully disagree. There is nothing scary about them. Loud - yes! Some of the rides at Disney, Universal and IOA are far more intense. Besides, you're not in a swamp, but a lake or a (St. John's) river
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 04:47 PM

If you want to go the theme park route, there is a lot to see and it is difficult to see all within a week, let alone 3 days. So you will have to narrow it down and choose which rides your girls really want to see.

Water: Aquatica is pretty new and separate from Sea World (although both owned by Sea World) and would great if you are looking for a water park during the hot florida days. Discovery Cove is GREAT for swimming with dolphins.

Universal: Islands of Adventure is fun and has plenty of good rides (2nd behind Magic Kingdom). In addition, there are several good restaurants outside the park (i.e. Emeril's, Wolfgang Puck, Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville, etc.) You do not need a park pass to access these restaurants. Margaritaville has great food, great maragarita's, and great entertainment (balloon animal makers on stilts and the restaurant has a tropcial theme). They even have a "volcano" which mixes the margarita mix in the restaurant. You don't need reservations, but they are recommended to avoid waits.

Disney - If you want, maybe you can get a package deal and go to multiple locations. Epcot has the restaurants around the world with festivals (i.e. garden, butterfly, etc.) occassionally if you check out their website (with a few rides, but not many). Disney Magic Kingdom is always a pleasure with children and has the most rides to offer.

One of my favorites is Disney's Animal Kingdom. They have a little bit of everything, Mt. Everest is the best ride, but the safari is great and I am sure your girls would love it. They also have character parades(as do other disney parks).

Hope this helps and I'm sure that whatever you choose to do, you and your girls will have a good time.
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Great ideas! Thanks for all of the input. I'm assuming we can see most of Sea World in one day. Would Discovery Cove be another separate day or can the two be combined? I'll check into Winter Park. Sounds like a nice break from Theme Park-mania!
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 07:16 PM

Just so you know-

Discovery Cove = $$$$$

"Discovery Cove offers two types of daily admission packages and a special "Trainer for a Day" package:

* The All-Inclusive Packages are for those who want to fully experience Discovery Cove including the dolphin-swim experience. Price for 2009 is $289 (plus tax) depending on the season. Florida residents' rate is $199 (plus tax) when adventure is booked for January 1 through March 31, April 27 through May 22 and September 8 through December 18, 2009
* The Non-Dolphin Swim Package is for those too young (between ages three and five) to participate and for those not interested in the dolphin-swim experience. Price for 2009 is $189 (plus tax). The Florida residents' rate is $99 (plus tax) for the above mentioned dates.
* The "Trainer for a Day" package includes enhanced dolphin interaction and behind-the-scenes feeding and training experiences. Cost is $488 (plus tax).

All packages include: free self-parking; a freshly prepared meal; use of a mask, snorkel, swim vest, towels, lockers, fins, and sunscreen; as well as admission to SeaWorld Orlando for seven consecutive days. Some restrictions do apply to all packages and reservations are required."

http://goflorida.about.com/cs/attrac...coverycove.htm

Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 08:16 AM

Sea World is a lot of fun, especially if you do any of the "behind the scenes" add-on tours. They're expensive, but allow you to have experiences such as petting a penguin and/or petting a baby shark and going into the open air area above their shark tanks. My trip to Sea World would have still been enjoyable without those experiences but it wouldn't have been nearly as memorable. If you decide to go to Sea World you should definitely look into all of their extra tours in advance and see if any fit with your interests. I highly recommend that you book in advance.

Universal Studios is better in California, in my opinion, so if you've done that one or if you're likely to do it in the future you could skip Universal Orlando (the one exception to this statement is if you're into haunted houses - Universal's Halloween Horror Nights in October is much better in Orlando).