should we stay at "the hotel"????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2003, 10:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi -- have booked a long weekend at "the hotel" for feb 14-17th weekend. suddenly nervous now that i see darvy's terrible review and not sure how to get in touch with darvy for more details. going with best girlfriend for a relaxing get away from the babies trip! we're late 30's and looking to stay at a place with a great pool (we'll probably skip the beach altogether) nice room that we can lounge and watch pay per view movies if we feel like it, love to have a place we can get room service and also have fun cocktails downstairs or out by pool. want to spend 200-325. delano and tides seemed nice but to much money. we're from LA so used to trendy hotels and sort of want that vibe to some degree. any thoughts as to whether the hotel will fit the bill or if the smell issue up at the pool is really that bad? lots booked that weekend because valentines and the boat show so hard to get rooms.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 11:15 AM

Hey bb, 'sup??

Consider us "in touch." The pool smell at The Hotel IS THAT BAD. It's like standing in front of a McDonald's exhaust fan. It's gross. It's far from romantic.

Here's my recommended list, again:

#1: The National. Overall package fits the bill. The rooms are nice, especially the ones by the pool. I picture you and your loved one in that room because they've got ample space and are very comfy for the movie watching. You've also got a great pool available 24/7. The breakfast, though not free, is FAB. The beach is fabulous to look at from the hotel, even if you don't walk on the beach or swim there at all. It's just nice to be close to it when you're in Miami. Room service is good. The pool and cocktail service is great. Very friendly people. The bar downstairs is an art deco dream - very tastefully done. It's also not so "trendy" like the Delano, so it's not too trodden with party hardy people (and the elevator won't smell like barf either - a real plus.)

#2 Sagamore Hotel or Lowe's Crowne Plaza (tie). Both have nice rooms, clean, comfortable, great pool, and again, they're on the beach. Even if you don't set foot on sand, there's something to be said for being nearby. Within walking distance of the action.

#3: St. Augustine hotel at 347 Washington Ave. Off the main drag, but very tranquil and clean. Just a few steps away from the action. You're oasis on South Beach. A real hidden treasure.

-Darvy, the travel gal
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 11:47 AM

I should add that in Miami, especially, be prepared when you first enter your room. South Beach is one inifinite party, so the rooms DO get worn. Always ask to see another room if you are unhappy in any way.

Old Oct 21st, 2003, 05:44 PM

Darvy ????
Read the meassage from bb hanes CAREFULLY !!! She is going with her best girlfriend, so am sure " romantic " is not high on her list of priorities !!!!
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 06:34 AM
GoTravel

I stayed there right after it opened and really enjoyed it.

Since the hotel is off the beach and you are going in February, if they get a cold snap you would be more comfortable laying out at The Hotel. The reason is the ocean breeze can drop the temps to be even colder than it is.

Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 10:44 AM

travelled, so be it. I misread and missed the "best" part of "best girlfriend." I thought they were two lesbians.

But, travelled, does it REALLY matter? A good hotel is a good hotel. And that's what my post is all about. I see you didn't suggest a thing. But thanks for speaking up, we ALL REALLY APPRECIATE IT. Keep up the good work.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the feedback. darvy i would love to email you and get more info from you and all your travels. i am at [email protected] if you want to email me. called the national but too much money so will check on the others you mentioned.