Reload this Page >

Should we rent a car in Hawaii?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 08:09 PM
Colleen

We are off to our honeymoon in Hawaii - three days in Wakkaki Beach and 7 days in Maui. Do we need to rent cars for the entire time - or should we just rent a car when we want to go do something?

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 08:45 PM
emma

You definately need a car on Maui. Never been to Oahu though.
Congratulations! Have a wonderful vacation!

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 02:44 AM
mbln74a

Absolutely! Aloha, Linda

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 04:47 AM
xxx

Colleen I think unless you are city dweller chances are you will not like Waikiki. Definately get a car rental on Oahu also

20 minutes over the pali and you are on beaches that are DREAMS away from waikiki. I said DREAMS, why why why would you pass on this?

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 07:13 AM
Ed

Note that you can do a single rental for multiple islands. That way you can benefit from the lower weekly rate for both rentals. You simply tell them how long on each. It's added up and counted as a single rental. We did this for 5 islands with Budget.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 07:25 AM
xxx

also you get the best rates when you have a AAA card or priceclub card

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 07:40 AM
Lenore

You will definitely want a car in Maui. If you're staying right in the middle of the action in Waikiki, then you can amuse yourself for a couple of days without a car. Any longer, and you'll want to venture out.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 07:42 AM
Maui girl

I'm going to have to disagree and be the dissenter. Don't know about Oahu but on Maui a car is NOT necessary if staying in certain areas. We have been twice once with and once without a car. Both times we stayed in the Kaanapali Beach area. We stayed at the Sheraton for our honeymoon and got a car as wedidn't know better. It was not necessary, we used it twice other than to get to the airport. One day we drove over to the Wailea are and spent the day there, another we did the road to Hana. We went back last summer (4 years later) and stayed Kaanapali Beach Hotel. We didn't get a car, arranged transfers to and from airport. We took the shuttle to Lahaina one day and did the luau that night, shuttle home. I wouldn't have wanted to drive anyway after Mai Tais at luau. We rented a car for the day and toured parts of island we hadn't seen and that was it. If in the Kaanapali area, you can walk to all kinds of shopping and many resstaurants at the Whaler.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 08:37 AM
Jeff

I agree with Maui Girl. Rent a car for a day if you want to go to Hana or the Valcano (dont wish to attempt the spelling).
I golfed in Kapaula and we went to Lahaina one or two days. Cab rides are about 20-25 dollars round trip. Check when you rent the car, they often dont include the road taxes (which are high maybe 15 dollars a day). Most hotels will charge about 7 dollars a day for parking (not including tips for valet). It will be at least 200 dollars when it is totaled. That is 8 trips to lahaina or Kapalua.
If you stay in Wailea, you peobably want a car since Lahaina would be about 60 round trip and Kapalua maybe 100 round trip.
Look at some things you wish to do and determine if you need a car. I like cabs. Wont get lost, drop you of at the door(no hunting for parking), drink without concerns of driving....

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 08:39 AM
Jeff

I agree with Maui Girl. Rent a car for a day if you want to go to Hana or the Valcano (dont wish to attempt the spelling).
I golfed in Kapaula and we went to Lahaina one or two days. Cab rides are about 20-25 dollars round trip. Check when you rent the car, they often dont include the road taxes (which are high maybe 15 dollars a day). Most hotels will charge about 7 dollars a day for parking (not including tips for valet). It will be at least 200 dollars when it is totaled. That is 8 trips to lahaina or Kapalua.
If you stay in Wailea, you peobably want a car since Lahaina would be about 60 round trip and Kapalua maybe 100 round trip.
Look at some things you wish to do and determine if you need a car. I like cabs. Wont get lost, drop you of at the door(no hunting for parking), drink without concerns of driving....

I would think the car would be better on Waikiki, since you probably will like to get away more. North Shore, Snorkeling, Diamond Head...

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 08:43 AM
Keith

The answer really depends on what you like to do. On Oahu if you are going sightseeing (north shore, Pearl Harbor, Punchbowl, Diamond Head, golfing etc) then a car will be really useful. However, if your ambition is lying on the beach then better not to have a car. As others have said you can do daily rentals easily on Waikiki. Normally we rent a car on a daily basis for only the days that we want it.

On Maui I would definately have a car and explore the island; Hana, Haleakela (would not go again for sunrise tho), NW coast, Io Valley, Hookipa, etc. However, if you intend not to explore but to stay around the resort area (beach, golf, tennis etc) then a car would be unnecessary.

In summary, your interests really dictate whether or not you need a car. For us it is 'sometimes' on Oahu and 'always' on Maui.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 09:19 AM
xxx

Keith there are a world of destinations beyond what you have mentioned. I skip every sight you mentioned in favor of other sights every trip. You do need a car for Iolani Palace, Byodo Temple, N.S Haeau, Alli birthing grounds, Pali Lookout, Diamond Head Drive, Sandy Beach, Waimanalo Beach, Kailua, Lanikai, Waimea Falls Park, Makapu Lighthouse, Bishop Museum. You need a car if you want a decent meal outside of a hotel and in my opinion a memorable meal.

Sorry it bugs me when when people describe the sights as Mainland American war monuments. Yes they are there but they are a small section of a 1000+ history. And Diamond head why would anyone with so many hiking options take their stride here behind a line of hot and sweaty tourist from Waikiki? Get a car on Oahu. It's a no brainer but you have to have an idea of what there is to see.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 09:20 AM
xxx

Was speaking exclusively of Oahu, all sights mentioned are there.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 09:21 AM
Keith

Been to all of those too

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 09:31 AM
Keith

Been to all of those too

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 09:32 AM
Ken

To summarize all of the above posts: If you don't plan to go anywhere you don't need a car. If you want to see Oahu (outside of Waikiki) and Maui (especially Maui) you need a car.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 03:43 PM
Ken

Another factor to consider is the cost of travelling to and from the airport. On Oahu there are cheap shuttles ($5 to $8) from the airport to Waikiki. On Maui it will cost $45 to $60 each way from airport to resort so you might just as well rent a car, especially if you are staying a week or less.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 02:13 PM
jim

A car is a must on Maui. Drive around and see as much of this beautiful island as possible. Dont miss the Road to Hana and the drive up the volcano. If possible get a convertible.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 03:00 PM
xxx

A car is not a MUST on Maui if you just want to lay on the beach and stay at your own resort (as some people do). Then a car is a waste of money. Too may people assume that what is of interest to them will be of interest to everyone else.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 03:22 PM
Paula

We've always rented a car in Hawaii regardless of which island we went to and were glad we did. Actually, rental prices are surprisingly reasonable. However, I suggest you don't rent from Alamo. We did on Maui and ended up spending 3-4 hours the first day stuck in their rental office with at least 50 other people waiting for our car. Not the way you want to spend your vacation, I'm sure. Have a great time.