Short Trip To Sedona & Grand Canyon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2009, 02:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning to visit Sedona, Grand Canyon & Las Vegas on the way back to Downunder, in early March.

Have booked a car from Phoenix on Sun. Planning to stay the 1st night in Sedona, then the one night in GC(Mon). Then drive to Vegas to for the last 3 nights before flying off.

Would appreciate any advice, esp re:
1. Where to stay in GC.
2. Which trails/ viewpoints I should do considering our short time. Plan to do the Pink Jeep as suggested in other posts...
3. Which would be the best route to take to GC & LV. And which stops.
4. How cold would it be then?

I know its a very short trip, but its at the end of our trip, and we can always come back at some stage. Any input appreciated.
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 02:59 PM

If you can, try to stay in the park for GC. There are five places and you book through the same people for all of them. If they say they are all booked, call again and ask about cancellations, keep trying. I would go back to Vegas by way of Zion and spend a night there instead of three in Vegas.
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 06:57 PM

Miqu,
I don't mean to alarm you but for Grand Canyon reservations in early March, it is the 11th hour. Call Xanterra <http://www.xanterra.com/> for reservations now, and then every day thereafter for possible cancellations.

Tusayan, AZ, 5 miles south of the south rim is a good plan B, but don't delay.
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input emolloy & orlando.

I have booked 1 night in Amara, Sedona & 1 in El Tovar. I presume we can easily reach the tours/walks/viewing points from El Tovar by foot.

BTW Orlando, I will also be in Orlando FL, for 3 days (2 for conference), a couple of weeks prior. I have 2 half days off and am staying in Disney. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Miqu
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 02:40 PM

El Tovar is right on the rim. You can pick up the rim trail and go past Bright Angel and continue as far as you want and when you get tired there are shuttle stops that will take you along the rim and stop at points where you can get out and look and then get back on the next shuttle.

As for Orlando, unless you want to do Disney, I'd head to one coast or the other. To the east you could hit the space center at Cape Canaveral. They have interesting tours. From Orlando down to the Fort Myers/Sanibel area it takes about 4 hrs. There you could do the beach/shelling thing on Sanibel or visit the Thomas Edison winter home and labs. Or go to Sarasota and visit the Circus.

Enjoy
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 04:24 PM

We did this trip 3 years ago in April. Take route 89 down to Sedona. It is gorgeous!! Also, the best hike we did in Sedona was Devil's Bridge. We stayed at Yarapov at GC and the Best Western, Red Rock in Sedona. The BW was very scenic and resonable. We ordered take out and ate on the balcony surrounded by red rock. Felt like we were eating at a more expensive place!
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 04:36 PM

Since Australia doesn't have a space program- if that stuff interests you (it does, me)-- I highly recommend the trip to Kennedy Space Center! Loved it! And it's quite doable in one day. Celebrating their 50th anniversary!

Additionally, KSC is located in a huge national wildlife refuge. Lots to see and do there, if you get tired of rockets.

http://www.fws.gov/merrittisland/

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/home/index.html

Paula
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 04:49 PM

Miqu-
" I will also be in Orlando FL, for 3 days (2 for conference), a couple of weeks prior. I have 2 half days off and am staying in Disney. Any suggestions?"

Sure, but I suggest this be in the title of a separate, new post entitled something like "Orlando: half-day ideas needed". You won't get many ideas on Orlando from "Short Trip To Sedona & Grand Canyon". There are a number of us who live in Central Florida who can give you ideas. Try to get as many of them to help you with a more identifiable title.

emalloy-
"As for Orlando, unless you want to do Disney, I'd head to one coast or the other."

There is a lot more to do in the Orlando area beside Disney. You don't have to go to one coast or the other to find things to do.

Old Feb 9th, 2009, 05:38 PM

Miqu- If you ARE staying in town, don't miss the wonderful Charles Hosmer Morse museum in Winter Park (15 mts from Disney). Thousands of pieces of Tiffany glass and art. And it's in a wonderful little boutique area.

http://www.morsemuseum.org/
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 01:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the great tips.
I am now packing up and leaving early tomorrow am. Lookings forward to the trip & trying out some of those tips. Thanks once again. Cheers
Miqu