Search

Sedona/Grand Canyon

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2003, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sedona/Grand Canyon

My friend and I (30's no kids) will be flying into Phoenix late June/early July to go to Sedona, Grand Canyon and Las Vegas. Query as to whether we should spend 2 days in Sedona and 1 in Grand Canyon or 1 day in Sedona and 2 in Grand Canyon. We do not plan to hike to the bottom of the Grand Canyon. Any thoughts?
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 08:47 AM

Although the Grand Canyon is beautiful, there is really nothing else to do but sit and gaze at it. Sedona is equally as beautiful, but with so much more to do. There are great restaurants, shopping, jeep tours, ect. I personally was more impressed with Sedona and those beautiful red rocks! Two days in Sedona would be my suggestion.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 09:13 AM

You don't have to hike down into the Grand Canyon to enjoy the scenery. Ride the shuttle buses to all the scenic over looks and enjoy the other over looks from the Vistor Center to Desert View.

What is fun is to hike some of the short distances along the rim between the shuttle bus stops where there are improved trails.

Utahtea
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 09:20 AM
OliveOyl

Do you plan to hike into the Canyon at all? IMHO, you haven't really "seen it" until you've hiked at least a few hours below the rim. It changes your perspective entirely. We've done that twice, yet have never made it to the bottom. The portion we did do was such a fantastic experience, and such fun, that a hike to the bottom is on our agenda within the next couple of years.

We've done Sedona once for a couple of days and again, hiked. Also hit the shops. "Eh" to the shops, but the hike was beautiful--vastly different from the GC of course, but quite an experience in its own right. Our last trip through we just stopped for lunch and went on.

Hard to say which you'd enjoy more and which you'd need more time in. I could fill a week in the GC, but love the physical activity so that's me. I could also spend a week doing the various hikes around Sedona, but probably would care less now about the shops, having seen them once (and knowing that most of what they sell will never fit my decor nor dress style). Still...that *will* be something you'll want to do this trip, never having seen it before.

We can't even get our 31 yr old s-i-l to go to Sedona (they live in Phoenix). Though he appreciates the beauty of the area, he is totally turned off by the tourist zoo. Take him to the GC hiking though (and they've been to the bottom 3 times), or Zion or Bryce, and there is nothing but unbridled enthusiasm. Different strokes for different folks.

Old Apr 11th, 2003, 07:55 AM

I've done Sedona twice now (30, no kids), and you can definitely spend 2 days there. We went in the off-season. In midsummer it will be swarming with tourists so your food/drink/activity options will be bustling, but that might be nice if you want to be social. Beware of the timeshare hawkers - learn to spot them and steer clear or they'll bum you out. Do you have lodging yet?
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 08:29 AM

Two days in Sedona is a must. I've been taking in Sedona with annual Phoenix trips for the past 25 yrs and think it's great for indoors or outdoors - love to hike the red rocks and if you care for western art it's a fantastic looking/shopping area
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 08:47 AM

You might want to consider driving over to Jerome during your Sedona stay. It's an old mining town built into a mountain and a great place to wander around.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 09:59 AM

I heartily agree w/ orangetravelcat. I LOVE Jerome. The town itself is so neat, situated on the mountain like it is! There are a couple of cute cafes to grab an al fresco lunch in (one in particular is great, I forget the name, but you can sit on a porch and take in the beauty, w/ the San Fransisco Mts in the background) Shopping is good. I'm not much of a shopper, but still enjoyed strolling through the streets.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 10:31 AM
Uma

You didn't mention where you will be staying in either place. I would highly recommend Enchantment Resort in Sedona. Our favorite place to stay there. It's located in Boynton Canyon. The scenery surrounding you is spectacular. A good second choice would be L'Auberge. If you aren't staying at Enchantment, I would recommend at least driving up there for lunch. You will need to make a reservation ahead of time. Lunch at L'Auberge, along the creek, is also nice. Heartline Cafe is a great place for lunch or dinner. El Tovar is a good place to stay at the Grand Canyon.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 11:00 AM

I would choose the two days in Sedona, the grand canyon is breathtaking, but unless you plan on hiking or other activities, I would take in Sedona. The red rock is the most beautiful and picturesque scenery. Try the enchantment resort for dinner just before sunset, the food is delicious the view spectacular. (Reservations ahead of time are a must) The town is very quaint and you can do some great hiking, jeep trips, or even a hot air balloon ride. I recommend staying at L'Auberge de Sedona (great place, with great french food) or enchantment resort (a little pricey, but worth it)
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 05:14 PM

For one of the most memorable experiences of the Sedona area be SURE to view the red rock area from Chapel of the Holy Cross.

Absolutelyh a breathtaking experience.