best beach in Maui

Old Apr 16th, 2003, 05:35 AM
dfo
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best beach in Maui

I'm not hearing to many great things about the beach at Kaanapali. Rough waters for swimming, snorkeling, kayaking, etc. Not to mention, small beach areas in front of hotels. Is this true? Is Wailea beach the best for all listed above? Suggestions?
I posted this earlier under wrong topic, hope I get more responses this time! Thanks!!
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 06:19 AM

I'm not sure this is a one answer question...I don't think there is a "best" beach on Maui. I can only tell you what I've read in books, here and other places on the web...but it seems to me that there are several nice beaches on Maui but they all offer something different.

just off the top of my head...

Kapalua Bay is a nice crescent-shaped beach, protected by rocks, good for swimming and snorkeling. I think it was once rated #1 by Dr. Beach.

Napili Bay also seems to be a nice beach to spend the day.

McKenna beach in S. Maui is also supposed to be really nice. I think there are several good beaches in that area as well.

and of course I'm sure there are several other "hidden" beaches or ones that I have simply forgotten around the island...these are just the ones that have stuck out in my mind.

I haven't done much research on Kaanapali, it seems like people either love it or are indifferent about it. For us, it was a matter of not wanting to stay where all the action seemed to be.

hope this helps!
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 07:36 AM

you may want to check this out...

http://www.maui.net/~tkern/beaches.html
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 10:33 AM

Because the west coast of Maui faces the channel waters between Molokai & Lanai, the beaches are not rough at all,especially May-Oct. And there are many good beaches from Kapalua south to Makena. Are you planning stay in Kaanapali?
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 02:41 PM

Hi - Asking for the best beach in Maui is a bit like asking the best flavor of ice cream... Anyhow, I've stayed twice in Kaanapali and never had a problem with rough waters or trouble snorkeling. In fact, the black rock at the Sheraton is considered a very fine place to snorkel. Beach conditions vary all over the Hawaiian islands depending somewhat on time of year, wind, if swells are coming in, etc.
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 04:30 PM

Hi,
I enjoyed the beach at Kaanapali. It is a bit rough, but lots of fun. You can spend lots of time walking up and down the beach. Snorkeling is very good at Black Rock. Wailea is a lot tamer. We stayed at the Grand Wailea and they have more of a crescent type beach. We found the snorkeling terrific. Because of the crescent shape, I found the swim to be easier. My wife wouldn't snorkel at Black Rock, but I couldn't keep her out of the water in Wailea. You can't go wrong in either place. It all comes down to what you want to do.
Frank
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 05:30 PM

Well, as in the rest of life, I suppose everything is relative. Maui has some decent beaches to be sure. Kapalua's is nice and quiet, but very small and not so idyllic IMO.
Kaanapali is too narrow and dark and the sand isn't all that soft.
Wailea is the best balance of good beach qualities IMO, though this is a very subjective issue.
Unfortunately none of the beaches in Hawaii can compare to the better beaches in the Caribbean. I don't especially like vacationing in the Caribbean because the overall hotel quality isn't as good, service is poorer in general, everything's more expensive and there are poverty and crime issues most everywhere you turn...but the bluer waters and softer/whiter beaches found in the Caribbean are much better than Hawaii's.
I only mention this because someone mentioned Dr. Beach's rating list. He doesn't rate beaches outside the USA to provide a reference point.