Reload this Page >

Best snorkeling from Beach in Maui

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Deblynn

We are going to Maui in a couple weeks. Will be splitting our time between Kaanapali area & Wailea area. Want to snorkel from the beach. Which are the best beach snorkeling (I've only snorkeled once and I'm not really a water person!) Any input for the best beaches to be fairly close to having my feet being firmly planted in the sand, the better, but still want to see some cool tropical fish & turtles? Thanks, Deb

Old May 25th, 2005, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deb - Here's a few beaches that are great for novice snorkelers: Kapalua Bay & Napili Bay (10 minutes from Kaanapali), Kahikili Beach/Park (2 minutes from Kaanapali) & Ulua Beach (near the Marriott in Wailea). Based on your comments, Kapalua Bay would be your best bet. Aloha and have a great time in Maui.
Old May 25th, 2005, 06:22 PM

Just returned from Maui last week. I really enjoyed Kahekili Beach (West Maui) and Po'olenalena Beach (South Maui). The beach with the easiest entry was Black Rock, but it was crowded and the coral was not in great condition. It had a very nice gentle slope into the water though, which is good if you're not comfortable in the ocean.

A word of caution, the undertows in Maui were much stronger than what I was used to. It didn't bother me because I'm confident in the water, but just be aware that there is a definite pull in and push back.
Old May 25th, 2005, 06:35 PM

Honolua Bay and Kapalua Beach are both awesome snorkeling areas, as is the beach just off the Maui Prince Hotel (can't remember the name.

-Bill
Old May 25th, 2005, 07:18 PM

Here is a guide for good snorkeling on Maui and other islands. Also snorkeling tips.

http://www.snorkeling-hawaii-insider...com/index.html
Old May 25th, 2005, 08:26 PM

Here is another site that lists 19 snorkeling spots on Maui.

http://www.adigitaldreamer.com/snorkel/maps.htm

Old May 25th, 2005, 08:46 PM

We absolutely loved Honolua Bay when we were in Maui last June. Our group ranged in age from 7 yrs. to 64 yrs. and most of us were new to snorkeling. It is north of Lahaina and is a marine preserve so there are lots of fish who are not too worried about people. We saw turtles, eels, and even squid/octopi (I don't know the difference). It is a cove so there was not a strong current when we were there. My guidebook says the snorkeling is best in the morning and calm spring, summer, & fall. My family all agreed that it was like being in a National Geographic special. Take hwy 30 north of Lahaina past D.T. Fleming Beach Park. You'll see a Mokuleia-Honolua Marine Reserve sign near a parking area. Go past this just a little ways and watch for a tiny dirt side road on the left. There will probably be other cars parked there. Park by the road and take the trail/dirt road in. The trail is an easy walk and absolutely lovely. The Snorkel Bob shops may even have a free print out map. We felt so pleased with ourselves for walking in for free when we saw one of those snorkel tour catamarans that people pay a tidy little sum for.
Old May 25th, 2005, 08:56 PM

Kahekili Beach Park was nice and is billed as a beginners' spot. Maui Dive Shop offers a free guide, check their website & send for it. Last trip stayed at The Mahana (by Maui Kai & Embassy), people were snorkelling right there, there is coral right up to the beach itself, also saw a seal one morning swerving about so I guess there's fish there too
Old May 26th, 2005, 12:49 AM

We realllllllllllly enjoyed Ahi'i cove. My children could snorkel safely there. Mannnnnnnny fish species. No turtles in the cove, but outside the cove, yes.
Old Aug 10th, 2015, 09:37 AM

The beautiful Kahekeli Beach Park has tested positive for wastewater (containing sewer and chemicals) along the near shore water.
The University of Hawaii study found wastewater in the ocean at Kahekeli Beach Park (locally know as Airport Beach) in Maui.
The Lahaina Sewer Treatment Plant has been found to be the source.
The EPA is fining the County of Maui for violating the Clean Water Act.

Earth Trust and the Sierra Club have published more information on
this beach area.

August 2015
Old Aug 10th, 2015, 11:12 AM

Why are you topping a 10 year old thread????
Old Aug 10th, 2015, 09:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OP now too old to snorkel.
Old Aug 14th, 2015, 09:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Robin; All good to know, as we will be there in February, 2016.

Thanks