Reload this Page >

SHORT CAROLINA VACATION

Search

SHORT CAROLINA VACATION

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 04:29 PM
FRED

SHORT CAROLINA VACATION

After visiting my daughter in Atlanta, my wife and I will be driving back to our home in NY in mid August. We would like to stop for a few days along the trip to enjoy the beach, to sightsee in a new area with nice restaurants, to stroll thru small towns with interesting shops, etc. We do not want busy, crowded beaches loaded with children and playgrounds. Can anyone suggest any accomodations located on a beach along the Carolina coast (e.g. in the Pleasant Island area) that meets these desires? Thanks.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 07:55 AM
Danna

Re: South Carolina Beach areas:

Hilton Head does not sound like what you are looking for.
Beaufort might fill the bill, it's a small town, quaint, not far from beaches, Fripp and Kiawah islands nearby .

Charleston is wonderful,of course, although not a small town. Folly beach near Charleston much less commercial than Isle of Palms. Hunting Island STate park, very remote island to see wildlife.

Litchfield and Pawley's Island, more sedate beach communities. Brookgreen gardens full of Anna Hyatt Huntington sculptures.

Avoid Myrtle Beach.

Perhaps someone else will help you with NC.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 08:17 AM
xxx

Any of the Carolina Beaches will be at least a six hour drive out of your way. That said, your best bet is one of the Charleston Beaches (Kiawah, Wild Dunes, Sullivans Island, Folly Beach) and then you can hit 95 North to New York.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 08:37 AM
Suzy

My guess is that all of the Carolina coastlines will be crowded this time of year - the previous poster was correct -avoid Myrtle Beach if you don't like crowds. The traffic is horrible too. If you want to be near that area try Litchfield or Pawley's - tho accomodations are hard to come by at Pawley's. Murrell's Inlet has great seafood restaurants (try Drunken Jack's.)
Kiawah and Seabrook Island (south of Charleston) are more private but also more expensive.
I agree with the earlier post that Beaufort may be a good choice - it is a cute little town - probably not QUITE as touristy.
Outer Banks, NC is fun - lots of lighthouses, but I don't think the beaches are as nice as the SC beaches.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 08:56 AM
huh

Which Carolina is that!????

I know about North and have heard about South but never ever heard about Short

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 10:44 AM
Suzy

TO HUH: You are rude - people like you take the fun out of these message boards. People come here for honest answers and help - not for sarcasm....

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 05:17 PM
carolina

SC will be out of your way regardless & many places will require weekly rentals @ that point in the season. I would try the Outer Banks, farther north & unique to experience.