Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Wow..just returned from vacation and took a volunatry bump

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 11:12 AM
RM

We (family of 5) just returned from a 10 day trip and took a voluntary bump on US Airways. Got 5 round trip tickets anywhere in the US or Canada they fly. Thought it was a great deal since we had the time and got home only 6 1/2 hours later than planned.

I hope US Airways is around for another year to use these suckers! I am thrilled. I'd love to hear more stories about other people getting freebies by being bumped.

Regards to all,

RM

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 11:13 AM
RM

a

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 11:19 AM
hmb

We did the same thing with US Airways last summer. They flew us home first class and gave us 2 round-trip tickets. First class was awesome especially since it was a red eye flight from LAX to Baltimore.

A word of warning though, when we went to redeem the free tickets, they only allow you to select certain flight times. For example, we couldn't leave Baltimore at the time we wanted to because they only allow a certain number of free vouchers on each flight. But free is free, I'm not complaining! We eventually got to our destination. Just save yourself some time and don't research flight times on their web site. Just call and see what's available.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 11:21 AM
Dan

What is it that you'd like to hear about people accepting bumps?
They occur hundreds of times a day nationwide.
They're redeemable just as advertised.
Airlines often intentionally overbook flights because their computers will sometimes project that a certain percentage of passengers will not show up for the flight, so they sell extra tickets.
The airline has already pocketed the excess money for the flight if it's oversold, so giving out bumps is not really a huge sacrifice.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 12:28 PM
George

We got a double-bump in February last year coming back from the Keys.

Happened in Miami. First was USAir: Gave us each a $300 voucher, for a single domestic air fare, and got us ticketed, 1st-class, on American to leave about 90 minutes later.

That flight was also having problems. They were offering $100 vouchers before boarding started. After we were seated, just before takeoff, an agent came and indicated they'd give a $500 voucher for one person to take a bump. I held up two fingers. She did a quick check, then said "come along."

They put us up, with an evening, and breakfast, meal-voucher in Don Shula's Miami Lakes operation. That's AA's crew digs.

Got us out the next morning, first-class, to BWI via JFK.

We later found out the difference between the two vouchers. The USAir one was, as hmb indicates, a flight voucher. It's good only for award seats. Even if seating is shown available on the web, you have to check by phone to see whether award seats are available (can't remember whether that's the cirrect term.) In any case, we used those vouchers for this year's Keys trip. Ended up going BWI-FLL, as there was nothing available remotely suiting what we wanted in and out of MIA.

Also, with USAir, those vouchers are not good for "open Jaw" flights. That's when you fly into one airport and return from another.

Aaahhh, but American! We used those $500 vouchers to do a California RT last September. Left from Harrisburg (MDT), our home, and flew to LAX. Then spent several days driving up the coast to San Francisco, where we spent a week (we were there over 9/11.) We came back SFO-MDT.

That ticketed out to about $350. American refunded us vouchers for $150. Which we must spend by Aug. 18, which is one year from when we were ticketed for the CA trip.

Looks like we're going to do a Vegas RT with those. Planning to do a Bryce/Zion/GC thing. Looks like we'll have to put in about $100 each of our own money, though. Life's like that, sometimes.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 12:33 PM
true

Our family of four took a bump off a Delta flight a few years ago, and got rescheduled on a through flight, so we actually got home earlier than we would have on our original flight! We got vouchers for four free tickets and used them for a Christmas vacation to Mexico. Sweet, as my teens would say.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 01:05 PM
RM

Dan:

I am well aware that US Airways showed no benevolence in granting those vouchers and that load factors are well known by the airlines.

Still, that doesn't negate the fact that for a 6 1/2 hour delay, I now have 5 free round trip tickets. I've taken bumps before with US Airways, and even with the restrictions imposed, always been able to use the tickets. Hell, I'm thrilled to have gotten them.

I was (am) just curious about what other people had received.

RM

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 05:56 PM
Dan

Oh, you mean what's the range of awards people are offered?
I think the highest I've ever seen was a $500 voucher.
Has anyone seen or received more on a routine bump?
I've seen people give in for as little as $75 vouchers in years past.