Charleston + Beaches??

Old Jun 23rd, 2014, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Charleston + Beaches??

We are planning a trip for a week to Charleston in September and also want to go to some beaches. We originally wanted to go to the Outer Banks but the posts here make it sound like its too far so perhaps we should try beaches closer to Charleston?

Does anyone have recommendations for beaches that are low key that would be a good destination for 3-4 days? The Myrtle Beach looks like its full of high rises and development. Is there somewhere else that's more of a low key beach community with some good restaurants?
Old Jun 23rd, 2014, 12:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you just want a decent beach and are going to be IN Charleston you definitely do not need to go to the Outer Banks and you don't need to go to North Carolina at all. Myrtle Beach definitely does have high rises, etc.

Somebody, when she sees this post, will be here to tell you which beach closer to Charleston might fit your needs and I'll defer to her and others so just be patient.
Old Jun 23rd, 2014, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are tons of beaches in the Charleston area - depending on what you want, Isle of Palms, Hilton Head, Kiawah, Seabrook are all good places to start looking.
Old Jun 23rd, 2014, 12:55 PM

Frankly, I can't imagine your having to go all the way to Hilton Head, either.
Old Jun 23rd, 2014, 12:56 PM

And you could go 1.5 hours up the road to Pawley's Island and have a lovely uncrowded beach experience.
Please don't do Hilton Head.
Isle of Palms is close.
Look on VRBO for some ideas. I think someone on this board rented at Oak Island (the one that is close to Charleston).
The outer banks would be a 10+ hour drive!!
Edisto is wonderful old style.
Old Jun 23rd, 2014, 01:14 PM

Don't bother with Myrtle Beach. It is not a very nice area with the exception of a few resorts. Charleston on the other hand is full of history and great restaurants. We actually really like to stay either at Folly Beach or Seabrook. Seabrook has more isolation and wildlife but Folly is closer to downtown and offers more lodging and restaurant options. Either would be fine in my opinion but if you are looking for low key, I would try either Seabrook or maybe even Edisto. They are just a bit further drive from the downtown shops and restaurants.
Old Jun 23rd, 2014, 01:52 PM

"The outer banks would be a 10+ hour drive!!"

The ferry from Cedar Island over to Ocracoke takes about 2 hrs 15 minutes; the distance from Charleston to Cedar Island is 309 miles.
Old Jun 23rd, 2014, 02:12 PM

I would go to Folly Beach, Sullivan's Island and Isle of Palm. I would definitely stay in the Charleston area.
Old Jun 23rd, 2014, 05:43 PM

How could I have been so far off. It's practically around the corner!! LOL
Old Jun 24th, 2014, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Thank you for all the good advice. We'll look into the places suggested. Thanks again!
Old Jun 24th, 2014, 12:39 PM

There are several beaches close to Chareleston.
1- Isle of Palms is the beach that most people go to with families and kids. Probably due to the shower accesses.
2- Folly Beach is really fun with a nice night life and fun restaurants but they are dredging the beach currently so there is some construction. But if you go further down the beach you can get out of the construction.
3- Kiawah Island beach is really nice but you have to be staying either on a beach house there or on the resort to access the beach.
4- Edisto Beach is a bit more south but is less crowded.
5- Sullivans Island beach is right down the road for IOP (isle of palms) and has a neat light house and Fort you can visit

I would not go to Myrtle Beach. it is nasty and very touristy!