Reload this Page >

Charleston or Savannah

Search

Charleston or Savannah

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 06:47 PM
pamr

Charleston or Savannah

We went to New Orleans over Easter & loved it! We were thinking of a summer trip... would you recommend Charleston or Savannah? We love the beach (prefer them laid back & not over=developed), sailing, etc. as well.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 08:29 PM
Max

This exact question is asked a dozen times a year (you can read lots of opinions in the archives).
I'd say about 70% of posters prefer Charleston. Myself included. Better beaches (for your taste) farther north and south, though.

Old May 9th, 2002, 01:13 PM
Mike

Stay at Hilton Head. It is between Savannah (about 40 min) and Charleston (about 1 1/2 hours). It is extremely laid back and under-developed. Plus you can rent a villa for a week at a great price. The beach is 12 miles long and very wide at low tide with hard-packed sand for bike-riding (a must on HH). I have only been to Savannah and not Charleston and I loved it as well. If you like old homes and shops and learning about the history of the southeast, go to Savannah. Tybee Island is near Savannah and has quiet beaches and a lighthouse as well. Enjoy your trip!

Old May 9th, 2002, 01:16 PM
Mike

correction...HH is developed but not to an extreme. There are several condominiums along the beach, yet it remains quiet. Supposedly there is a town ordinance where no buildings can rise above the tree line?? I'm not sure about that. I know there is an ordinance restricting large neon signs on businesses (it has the only McDonalds without the large lit golden arches!).

Old May 9th, 2002, 01:18 PM

Mike obviously has never been to Hilton Head. I live in South Carolina, and Hilton Head is overdeveloped to the point that they have a very serious traffic problem with just one road connecting to the island from the mainland. There are undeveloped beaches in private communities. If you want undeveloped beaches and the big city, go to Charleston.

Old May 9th, 2002, 03:55 PM
Mike

I have been to HH several times. Maybe I just have not gone during the busiest time. Yes, the traffic is bad...although the Cross Island Parkway has alleviated that quite a bit. The only place where it is busy is 278, the main road. That is why you stay in the plantations or on the beach where it remains relatively quiet.