Search

Shoes NOLA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shoes NOLA

This is going to sound silly....but is it true my shoes will get all dirty and messed in NOLA? I know there will be a lot of walking so I do have comfy and walkable shoes. I've read somewhere online that a few people have mentioned to wear throw away shoes or shoes you don't mind getting dirty and messed up. I wanted to take my leather boots with me but not sure....I do love my boots. Insight anyone?
Old Nov 24th, 2010, 12:01 PM

I've never needed to throw away a pair of shoes after going to New Orleans. I have heard this from people too, and I am not sure where they are walking or what they are doing. Maybe if you are out in the wee hours partying on Bourbon, then there is the risk of someone tossing their cookies on your shoes or something. Or maybe tromping through flooded streets in the rain?

I just take regular shoes - comfortable, no narrow heels (New Orleans can be death to a nice pair of heels).
Old Nov 25th, 2010, 08:08 AM

I think the "take an extra pair of shoes" applies during Sugarbowl and Mardi Gras, when the BUB (beer, urine, barf) piles up on the street. When you get that on your shoe, there's no way to clean it off. Just throw the shoes away. So, I always wear a really old pair of nasty shoes just to be safe. Sandals are never a good idea for this reason.
Old Nov 25th, 2010, 08:58 AM

I've actually been in the situation of feeling underdressed in NOLA. Not unlike Bermuda, I find New Orleans to be a very formal society once you leave Bourbon Street.

But down in the trenches of drunken debauchery, yes bring "I'm ganna get trashed enough to put up with the smell of puke" shoes.
Old Nov 29th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies! I actually took 2 pairs of shoes with me. Took a pair of chucks with me for all the walking and a nice pair of flats for dinner. Definitely did lots of walking!! But it wasn't as bad as I had imagined it! And it did rain on one of the days that I was there. It rained like crazy, plus the wind and chill....Luckily, I didn't have to throw away any of my shoes! =)