Search

forget baja

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
forget baja

if you want nice warm waters, surfing, and if you're going to fly into mexico anyway, you might as well go somewhere where the surfing is great, food is great, water is warm, people are nicer, etc. etc. In other words, not Baja - it's overpriced and not as interesting. Try flying into Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo, rent a car (easy) and drive 30 minutes to beach town of Troncones - lots of great, inexpensive hotels & B&Bs. Or the beach areas North of Puerto Vallarta. Or even better for surfing, the area around Puerto Escondido (Oaxaca state), but a bit more difficult (and fun!) to access. And believe it or not, Acapulco remains one of the all time great swimming bays in Mexico (it's cleaned up and safer recently than it has been in years).

We go to mexico almost every year, and find these areas much better than Baja.

And the other writers are correct - limit your time in L.A. (check out a few museums, Venice Beach, etc), then scam to San Diego, Grand Canyon and other more interesting areas.
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 07:14 AM

Maybe you should post in Latin America forum also.
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 05:48 PM

I completely disagree with your post! The waters of the Sea of Cortez are, according to Jacques Cousteau "the world's aquarium." Crystal clear, warm year round and full of amazing sea life. Todos Santos is some of the best surfing in the world and Los Cabos provides world-class 5-star resorts. Baja is tough to beat and has virtually zero violence outside TJ. We love it and it's a fabulous bargain. Our favorite place is La Paz.
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 09:50 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
<And the other writers are correct - limit your time in L.A...>

It sounds like maybe this person meant to be replying to a different thread, to someone's specific question about heading to the Baja from California??
Old Nov 29th, 2010, 07:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Puerto Escondido and the so-called "Mexican Pipeline" I agree with; swimming in that polluted bay in Acapulco..you've got to be kidding.
Old Nov 29th, 2010, 10:22 AM

I spent a week in October on a surfer's beach just outside Todos Santos. No, I wouldn't stay in Cabo but TS area? Quiet, relatively undeveloped, gorgeous beaches, beautiful water, genuinely friendly locals, and excellent food. I'd be there any time from Oct thru April (other months too warm for me).
Old Nov 29th, 2010, 11:02 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I loved both La Paz (two weeks) and Cabo San Lucas (one week). Food was great both places, local people are friendly, scenery is gorgeous. I'm not interested in the border towns of the Baja, that's true, but down at the tip is beautiful and relaxing. As far as "overpriced" and "not interesting" you are staying/eating in the wrong places and doing the wrong things if you think that.