Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

La Paz - El Moro, La Concha or Los Arcos?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the re-post, I didn't mention I was looking for La Paz specifically.

Can anyone provide more information about Club El Moro. It seems recommended by several posters, but is it on the beach? Some of their pictures look like it might be, but I can't tell for sure. Also, does anyone have any feedback on Los Arco or La Concha as compared with El Moro? Thanks!

Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 09:13 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Club El Moro is a great hotel but it is not on the beach. There are very few actual beachfront hotels in La Paz because the main road/highway runs along side the sea, and the town is built to the inland side of the road along most of the length of town.

El Moro is set back from the road in a large walled courtyard kind of situation with beautiful gardens, gorgeous tropical plantings, a huge pool area. Very lush. You see the ocean thru the open air lobby but it is across the road.

As an aside the beaches within La Paz are not ones people hang out on like in Cancun, PV, Cabo, etc. They are more working beaches with fishermen etc. To reach recreational beaches people drive to the north or south of town a ways.

Sorry, I don't know the other two hotels to compare them for you.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 06:40 AM

quite honestly, I think the only recommendation comes from me!

As far as I know I'm the only on here posting their La Paz experience (from what I gather by reading questions and responses or lack thereof). You might double-check at tripadvisor.com see if there are any reviews. Or possibly www.lonelyplanet.com and go to their bulletin board called the Thorn Tree.

I ran into this researching my trip to La Paz in 2000, it seems not as touristed as some other Mexican destinations and more difficult to find information on.
Old Dec 16th, 2006, 03:05 PM

I'm resurrecting this thread because it helped me tremendously in the past week, and I want to thank the posters, especially Suze. My husband and I were daydreaming about going to Mexico in early 2007. I started doing some research, trying to find a real Mexican town, not too touristy, but with good kayaking for my DH. La Paz seems perfect, and Club El Moro sounds too good to be true. I emailed Carlos and asked if they had any vacancies in late February or late March. He responded that they had one room left! That led to checking airfares (really cheap from Portland) and an impulsive decision to book the room for 10 days. We have to wait until next week to find out if DH can get the exact dates off from work, then I'll book the airfare. I'm so excited! He'll be able to do all the kayaking he wants, and since I'm not that into it, I'll have a real city to explore and a beautiful hotel to relax in.

If anyone (Suze) has any advice to offer that isn't already in the La Paz threads, I'd love to hear it. Since we are pretty new to traveling in Mexico (I've only been there on cruises in the past and DH has never been at all), we're wondering if it's necessary to only drink bottled water, etc.

Thanks.
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 07:36 AM

dabodin- That's wonderful news!!

I'm happy to help but not sure what all I can add. Please ask any specific questions you have and I'll answer if I can. There're a couple other people on the forum with excellent information on touring in the area who may chime in too...

Yes, I drink only bottled water in Mexico.

Because La Paz is not as touristy as other places, I found some things a little more challenging. There are not places to change money on every corner, rather just a couple banks. Other than the hotel front desk, most people in town in the shops and all did not speak English (this is not a complaint just a difference I noticed because I usually go to Puerto Vallarta which has a more developed tourist infrastructure).

Try to get a good street map. I got one from the hotel or a taxi driver (i forget which) but I really needed it for my wanderings.

Groceries I got at Amburosso(?) it is a 10 mins. walk from El Moro, the front desk showed me where to go on a map, it has pink paint and a lifesize plastic cow on the roof so is easy enough to find!

I also walked WAY across town one day to a modern CCC grocery store. If you have a rental car, this is probably where you'd want to do a major shopping.
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 06:33 AM

Thank you, Suze! Just the kind of info I need. How about eating tossed salads in restaurants? Probably not a good idea, right?

Speaking of restaurants, any favorite ones?

We will have a car, so I'll check out the bigger grocery store, thanks.

Our room is a studio: have you ever stayed in that type of room? It's the same price as a junior suite but doesn't have a separate bedroom, is that right?

Did you visit the beaches that are outside of town? Although we're not beach types, we'll probably check them out. Also, did you go whale watching on any of your stays? That's high on my list.

Thanks for your help.

JoAnne

Old Dec 18th, 2006, 06:58 AM

Yes I had one of the studio rooms. It was one huge room with an alcove closet leading into the bathroom, and a very nice full kitchen set up with counter and stools, plus a sitting area with TV, sofas, coffee table. Also a private patio with table and chairs. Mine was just off the hotel laundry room kind of tucked in a corner, but it was GREAT! Excellent value for the money. The rooms was extremely spacious with lots of Mexican tiles in the kitchen and bath. And spanking clean. The pool area is gorgeous. The restaurant is nice for breakfast and lunch - but the provided continental breakfast was lame, just tang, coffee, roll. but for a couple bucks you can get something wonderful instead.

I did not have much luck with restaurants myself. This is one of the drawbacks of going to non-touristy places imo. There were a couple fish shack kind of restaurants I liked that are on the left side of the road/highway as you walk from the hotel into town. Open air, thatched roof, overlooking the highway and the ocean. No English spoken. I had a nice whole fried fish with some beers and tequila.

One day I took a taxi because I didn't have a car and couldn't figure any public transportation out to one very beautiful beach. I believe it was called something like Pilinque(?) it was south down past the ferry terminal.

I've only been to La Paz one time. I would go back, but not solo (as I was the first trip) because quite honestly it was kind of lonely and there really isn't much "to do" without paying for formal activities. I did not go kayaking or whale watching or anything along those lines. Just walked around, and walked and walked(!) around town and hung out at the hotel and pool. I was there for two weeks.
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 07:01 AM

Oh, and I never eat lettuce salads in Mexico. Just my own comfort level. If you want fruits and vegetables yourself, you can buy a bio-soak product sold most anywhere they sell produce. The large CCC I mention is similar to any large grocery store in the U.S. The Aramburro(?) is very typically Mexican.
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 02:14 PM

Suze: The fact that La Paz is so non-touristy is what really appeals to us. My hubby speaks Spanish pretty well, so that will help. Thank you for all the good info; the beach shacks sound like they're right up our alley. Having a car will really help to change up the pace and see different things. You were very brave to go there by yourself! Why did you pick La Paz of all places? Just curious!

Your advice about water and salads just reinforces my own thinking. And the studio sounds delightful - I can't wait!!

JoAnne
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 02:36 PM

Hmmm let's see... Alaska Air flew their directly at the time, I had air miles with them, and basically it was just a whim.

I go to Puerto Vallarta so often my friends were makin' fun of me & I thought I'd like to try something different and branch out my experiences... so I did! No more or less than taht.

It really wasn't so brave. I love Mexico, travel solo often, speak a teeny bit of Spanish, and have always felt very at home there. Just for two weeks, alone, and without a car, well it was a little boring is all
suze

p.s. Do try some fish tacos from the stands set up along the side of the highways... kinda like truck stop diners only Mexican-style.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 08:04 PM

El Moro is great. They let my wife and I use their 2 person kayak. We went to the bay toward pichilingue and kayaked in the mangroves. Bay is called Balandra Bay. Along the way are many beaches to swim and sun. La Paz has finished their boardwalk and there is an ice cream place that would rival a gelato stand in Italy.Sunsets turn the sky this fantastic pink that seem to embrace you.
Check out the new marina by Pichilingue and drop in for a drink or meal at the new Fiesta Hotel.
It has been 2 years since I have been there,but if still open, the French Bistro was good in downtown La Paz by the La Perla dept store which sadly burnt to the ground.
You will need a car. Driving isn't too crazy. I think Alaska is going into La Paz again.
Google those hotels. The one downtown on the Malecon we had dinner at. It wasn't bad. Prices are 20% cheaper than Los Cabos area.
See it while you can. There are big plans afoot to develop the peninsula across the bay. Horrors!
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 09:28 PM

edfran- thank you for the correct spelling of the beach i managed to get myself to.. and other updates. it's been 6 years since i was in La Paz, though (hopefully?) "progress" seems to move slowly there. i'm guessing my hotel info is current, but i do know the malecon and landscape, main boulevard, and city beach was getting an update.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 10:17 AM

More great info, Edfran! Thanks so much. We should find out soon if my DH can get these 2 weeks off. I have the El Moro reserved, but not the airfare yet. Flying directly to La Paz is much more expensive than going to San Jose. That reminds me of another quesiton: where is the San Jose/Cabo airport? How far a drive is it to La Paz? Is the airport the best place to get a rental car?

Thanks,

JoAnne
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 11:07 AM

I think it's about a 4 hour drive, but ya lost me on the rest of the questions
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 11:10 AM

Just responded with a long diatribe regarding the bus to La Paz from Cabo, and then accidentally deleted it...so to be brief..to get to La Paz from Cabo airport, you take a bus from airport to the bus station, then a bus to La Paz. Be very very clear that you want the quick, non stop direct route or you will be in for a very very long and winding (but pretty!) ride. I got all this info from this forum for my trip last March & felt the info on other's responses re: Cabo to La Paz was excellent. Do a search for it as it helped us enourmously.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 02:19 PM

<b>where is the San Jose/Cabo airport?</b>

Just north of San Jose, about 20-25 miles from Cabo San Lucas.

<b> How far a drive is it to La Paz?</b>

About 2.5 - 3 hours from airport to airpot.

<b>Is the airport the best place to get a rental car?</b>

As good as any ...

Bill
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 05:04 PM

Thanks, Bill, that's pretty much what I thought. Is there also a Cabo airport, or is it one and the same as San Jpse?

The bus info doesn't really pertain to us, since we'll be renting a car, at the airport, thanks to Bill.

Thanks for all the assistance!
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 06:29 PM

<b>Is there also a Cabo airport, or is it one and the same as San Jpse?</b>

The airport in San Jose also serves Cabo.

If you do rent there and drive to La Paz via the Cortez side then on the return trip you might consider leaving enough time to finish the circle and drive to the Pacific side past Todos Santos and then Cabo and then the corridor to San Jose and the airport.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 05:56 AM

That's a great idea. We might even take a few days to do that. How long would the drive take if you did it straight through? I've been down the Cortez side to Cabo, but never on the Pacific. I was thinking of taking day trips from La Paz, but your suggestion makes a lot more sense.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 09:27 AM

<b>We might even take a few days to do that (drive the loop). How long would the drive take if you did it straight through?</b>

Once while we were staying in Cabo we did the entire loop as a day trip, stopping briefly at a fishing hotel near Buena Vista (Los Barriles), spending maybe 2 hours in La Paz and having lunch at Los Arcos, stopping at Todos Santos for a brief walk around town to check out the Hotel California, and making it back to Cabo before dark. You could possibly drive the whole enchilada in 5-6 hours if you didn't stop.

If you wanted to take a 'few days' I'd suggest a night in Todos Santos, a small town on the Pacific trying to be an artist's colony with at least one really nice small lodge, and maybe a night at one of the Cortez side fishing lodge hide-aways like Punta Colorado, especially if you like to kayak and don't want to see many people.

Both of these places have much more charm to me than did La Paz, which was big, crowded and had polluted air, at least near the malecon where we had lunch.

Bill

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -