Sheraton Maui or Marriott Wailea?

Old Dec 31st, 2003, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Sheraton Maui or Marriott Wailea?

My husband and I intend to spend one week in August(is it enough?) in Maui.
We like to swim in tranquil waters, and also we would like to stay in a hotel that offers "Hawaiian"activities, such as: hula lessons, Hawaiian dance and songs, etc.
Which of these hotels would be a better choice?
How distant from the beach is the Marriott? Is it an easy walk?
Is the Kanapali area a rainy one in August?
Is the Kanapali beach too crowded?
Anyone who has stayed in any of these hotels, please make some comments so it will help us decide. THANKS a lot and Happy New Year!!!!
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 04:08 PM

I have yet to be at either or the resorts, as we are going to be at the Sheraton Maui in a month. I have heard many times that the Sheraton has the best snorkeling beach in the area. We picked the Sheraton because if you go to their website www.sheraton-maui.com, you can get a good deal on a room that includes your car. Plus, you can play at their other two sister resorts, the Westin and Kapalua Bay. We plan to go to the Westin to use their pool. It is supposed to be a lot of fun.

I can let you know more in a little over a month. I know this wasn't a lot of help, but maybe it will help just a little.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 11:39 PM

Having stayed at Kaanapali several times,(not the Sheraton, though) and recently at the Wailea Outrigger, I have to say that the Outrigger has a much better beach(Ulua) just steps away from the resort and better snorkeling. It is beautiful and private and there is also the beach in front of the Grand Wailea with lots of activity and people.

However, if you want lots of shopping and different choices in restaurants, you may prefer the Sheraton, right next to Whaler's Village. The Wailea area is much more upscale, which of course has both pros and cons. I think you would find more Hawaiian activities at the Sheraton, and Whaler's Village, but to be honest, I never saw much offered to adults in the way of classes.

You won't see much rain in the summer months, Kaanapali may be a little crowded in August but is still really nice. I was really impressed with Wailea, though, and we will have a hard time choosing between the two spots for our next trip mainly because the busier Kaanapali area has more to offer young children. I think you'd have a wonderful time at either place-really!
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 03:58 AM

I don't know where one of the posters got the impression that the Outrigger has the better beach.

The Sheraton is known for its great beach and snorkelling, and you can even do a scooter assisted scuba dive off the shore if you want.

The property is so big that it never seems crowded.

I've stayed there many times and would not ever think of staying anywhere else. Kanapali has never been rainy when I've been there and seems to have some of the nicer weather on the island. A bit further north is rainy, though.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 09:15 AM

Kaanapali is a large (often with rough waves) beach, though it is calmer in the Sheraton Black Rock area but Ulua Beach (a two minute walk from the Wailea Outrigger) is one of our favorite resort-front beachs because it is calm, gorgeous, relatively private, swimmable, warm and rarely with big surf. It has beautiful red sand, and a rocky point with great snorkeling. There is more activity at Kaanapali. Take a look also at the posts under the thread asking about the Sheraton vs. Renaissance Wailea; it's a similar comparison.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 09:19 AM

P.S. We've been told that Wailea gets a little more sun than Kaanapali. Also, if you're traveling without children it might be fun to split your time between the two areas, then you'll know which you prefer since it's obviously one of those subjective choices!