Reload this Page >

Kaanapali or Wailea Again...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 06:34 PM
Chris

We are going to Maui Dec 1 for 12 days, our top priorities are sun, beach & snorkeling. We will have a rental car the entire time. We are looking for a smaller but very nice resort. The two I have narrowed it down to are the Renaissance Waliea(Mokapu Wing) or the Kaanapali Beach Hotel(ocean view), both are very close in price. Any additional comments on lodging reccomendations would be great....

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 08:32 PM
Jack

Renaissance without question.
Better hotel, better area, not as cheap and crowded feeling as Kaanapali.

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 08:37 AM
xxx

The Renaissance Wailea is definitely the better property. As to which is the better part of Maui, Kaanapali or Wailea, is a matter of personal preference. Kaanapali is definitely closer to the centre of action and a busier location, but there is nothing "cheap" about it. Wailea is much quieter and laid back.

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 04:04 PM
sherrie

Just returned from Wailea. The resort area was pretty, but also far from everything. Also, everything on the way there was brown. Only the resort area was green and pretty. We drove up to Kaanapali for the day and really liked the looks of it there. The only negative I saw was that a few of the properties had less than desirable beaches, particularly, the Marriott, I think. Don't know anything about the hotel, but the Westin's beach area looked good. Unfortunately, didn't get to check out anything further than the Whaler, as time was limited. Did decide that when we return, we will stay in Kaanapali.

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 04:30 PM
Chris

It's really must be a matter of taste. From everything I read half the posting love Kaanapali and the other half Waliea. No wonder so many people have so many guestions...If I narrow it down to best beach, swimming and weather it sounds like Waliea should be my choice...

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 04:59 AM
Joe

We stayed at the Renassiance in July, it has a beautiful beach and ther is a boardwalk between beaches on this strip of ocean. We really liked staying there. We had a ball, great swimming and snorkelling all in this area. I would stay again. We drove to lahania for a luau. It really is far away. 30 -45 minutes. No big deal, Maui is not a very large Island.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 04:45 AM
kate

Stayed at the Kaanapali Beach Hotel in July for our wedding was a great hotel, although it was our first trip to the USA so nothing to compare it to.

Drove through Wailea on the way to our beach wedding, looked nice and flashy but if youre not staying at the top hotel in that area you might be dissapointed when you look at the others!

Kaanapali gets our vote, looking forward to being able to use the excuse of celebrating our wedding aniversary there to keep going back!

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 05:37 AM
kwl

My vote is for the Rennaissance Wailea. We stayed there for 6 nights in 2001 and loved it. This year, we did a week at the Hyatt in Kaanapali. Although we loved the Hyatt hotel, we will be headed back to the Rennaissance on future trips. We were very happy at the Renn. with the size of the room, the price and the hotel in general. Plus, the Wailea beach and snorkeling is much better. So is the golf!

Have fun!

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 08:52 AM
Debi

We were at the Renaissance in May of this year - and agree with the other posters that this would be a great choice. I think the Wailea area is quieter and not as crowded - and the Renaissance itself is quite a nice resort. Kaanapoli is nice to visit - but the traffic on that part of the island is tough. We went over there twice while we were on Maui - and sitting in traffic is just not my idea of a fun, vacation activity......

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 05:36 AM
Frank Stefanec

We just returned from the Grand Wailea (GW), and we've stayed at the Westin Kaanapali 3x. Which area to stay in is a very tough call.
The beach is way nicer in general in Kaanapali. Expansive, rolling, you can walk forever, so to speak. However the cove in front of the GW was great for snorkeling and sailing too. Smallish, but somewhat walkable. Kaanapali is tons livlier, with Whalers right in the middle. Nice restaurants in Kaanapali, but no way do they compare to Wailea's. Nick's, Spago's and HumuHumu were OUTSTANDING! Both area's have a Roys and Sansei's. In many ways, it's a toss up, and I think a win-win situation. As for the specific resorts you mentioned, I can't really comment.

Frank

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 12:01 PM
Chris

Thanks for all the great info, I am more confussed now then before!!!! I am sure it well be great either way, now I am thinking of the Sheraton or the Renaissance....How can one person think the beaches at Kaanapali are much nicer and then someone else says the beaches at Wailea are much nicer?????

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 02:24 PM
Joey

Chris, We stayed at the Renaissance this year in Jan. and enjoyed it very much. Wailea has a much more peaceful feel than Kaanapali. If you are looking for beauty and laid back feel, go to Wailea. If you want more action, you should stay in Kanapali/Lahani. The beaches in Wailea are world class, especially the one in front of the Four Seasons. Also I feel that the rooms in the main hotel are a better value than Mokapu!

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 03:33 PM
beth

The beaches are great at both areas. The resorts are newer in Wailea. We stayed at the Kea Lani , and I've never had a better vacation. The Sheraton is on the best beach in Kaanapali, but that is because it was built in the 1960's. I think it was the first hotel built in Maui. It sits on a Black Rock, so I'm sure you would get the best view there. You really can't go wrong in Maui. I've stayed in both Kaanapali and Waliea and loved both sides. My favorite is Waliea at The Kea Lani.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 07:04 PM
Pam

We just returned from the Renaissance Wailea - Mokapu Wing. We loved it. The service was warm and welcoming - and the snorkeling out front at the Ulua Reef was pretty darn good!

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 10:44 AM
may

My daughter just returned from her honeymoon in Maui. She had the same problem of choosing her hotel. In the end she stayed 3 nights at Grand Wailea (got stay 2 nights, get one free deal) and 3 nights at Hyatt Kaanapali. She is 25 years old and loved the Hyatt. She said Grand Wailea was nice and good to relax for a few days after the wedding but Lahaina/Kaanapali was where all the action was.

If your priorities are sun and beach, well Wailea has more of that. Central and northern Maui gets more rain. For snorkeling, go to one of those Maui Dive shops for their free maps. It's fun to try different snorkel locations.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 02:52 AM
Nova

It is a matter of opinion whether Kaanapali or Wailea has the better beaches, and it could be a toss up. And while Wailea tends to be dryer, the difference in weather is not significant enough to justify going to Wailea.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 11:22 AM
Don't Like

....except that Wailea has most of the nicer hotels and isn't as congested with raucous 18-25 year olds.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 05:53 PM
Nova

...and Kaanapali / Lahaina has all the restaurants, bars, and generally a lot more to do.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 05:57 PM
Don't Like

....and if I wanted to be in the middle of a whole lot of swirling activity, I wouldn't be vacationing in Hawaii in the first place.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 08:23 PM
Melinda

We go to Grand Wailea for 3 nights, like the above poster, and then go 3 nights to the Marriott (can't rave about it but we have free points to stay there). This way we relax in Wailea a bit and then go do the happy hour, shopping and night life the last half of our trip. Don't stress as you will have fun regardless of your choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -