Search

Sheraton Maui

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2004, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sheraton Maui

We have reservations at the Sheraton for late June and I am platinum SPG. Would like to know which buildings or room numbers to ask for upgrades, just in case they honor it! Which building, room for moutain view or ocean view? Would really like at least a partial ocean view. Thanks.
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 04:45 PM

Ask for the deluxe ocean front view. You can ask specifically to be in the "private section" of the hotel, more secluded away from the pool noise and also very close to the water. You can see whales, etc. Good luck!
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 01:13 PM

I just returned from the Sheraton yesterday. We loved the Deluxe Ocean Front Room we were in. We were on the quiet side of the resort (building #6). We had nothing but ocean in front of us and we were up on Black Rock. In building #6 you also have a gated parking lot just for your area, which makes it very nice. We had originally booked a garden view room through their site that included a car for $254 a night. I emailed them in advance and said we were open to upgrade possiblities. They wrote back and offered us a Deluxe Ocean Front room for $75 more a night. We personally believe it was well worth it. The first morning we were there, we had a mom and baby whale 30 YARDS off our Lanai. WOW!!!!! It is a little farther to the beach from building #6, but it was so quiet and the view was amazing! Good Luck. I loved the hotel. We walked up and down the beach and we really were glad we chose the Sheraton over the Westin or the Hyatt. We just thought the beach was so much nicer with great snorkeling right there.

Also, if you like seafood in a casual fun setting go to Bubba Gumps. YUM!

Have a ball in Hawaii!!!!!
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Smilen,
Thanks for the reply...now I am excited! What an amazing site, the whale and her baby. Wish I could go while the whales were there!
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 06:44 PM

If you are platinum, you will likely be automatically upgraded without paying extra $$. We stayed at the Sheraton last July when the resort was completely sold out, and were upgraded to an oceanfront room in building 6. We were only gold SPG, and didn't even ask for an upgrade. (We had a garden view reservation). Another option you might consider if necessary is using points to upgrade.

Although these rooms have fantastic views, it is a bit of a walk to everything else at the property. If you look at any pictures of the property you can get an idea of the distance from the rooms on the edge of Black Rock to the pool/beach. Just don't forget anything on your way to the beach/pool, it may not be worth the trek back!
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 10:04 AM

I agree that it is a bit of a trip back to your room from building 6, but it is mostly on different elevators. The elevators were always quick. We really didn't mind the trip back to the room at all. We have two younger kids and they didn't complain at all about the walk. In fact, there were some great viewing areas just getting back to the room that we loved.

If you haven't read or looked at it already, the Sheraton Maui site has a live cam that you can check out the current conditions. I swear I looked at it everyday before the trip. I also thought that the view is so much better when you are actually there. Heaven!

With a platinum SPG you should get a great upgrade. We had just signed up to be a SPG member so we had zero points. At least now we have some so I can plan on heading back.
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 10:17 AM

I am signed up for Starwood Preferred but have no points yet. How do you get to be platinum?
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I have seen the site with the live web cam, thanks. I check it out every so often. I have had my spg card for quite a while and also have an American Express credit card from Starwood that adds points to my hotel card. I have been saving up and have enough for 6 free nights on this trip, maybe more by the time we get there. I became platinum by number of stays and because I am also a diamond Hilton card holder, they matched my status at Starwood. Many companies do that. I have also been saving up miles on American. Starwood offers a 1 to 1 ratio if you want to transfer your hotel points to miles. If you transfer 20,000, they will give you an extra 5,000. Hope these tips help someone. I am very excited to stay at the Sheraton Maui and am waiting for March to check on a cash and points stay for one night at the Moana Surfrider in Oahu at the end of our trip.