Reload this Page >

Which oceanfront hotel in Maui?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2005, 02:43 PM
Deblynn

We will be taking our anniversary to Maui in June and want to stay in an oceanfront hotel in Maui, that we can hear the ocean and have a patio or balcony to sit on and enjoy the view. Preferably at least a 3 or 4 star property, but trying to keep the cost down somewhat, if you can in Hawaii! Please help. Thanks

Old Jan 31st, 2005, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We thoroughly enjoyed the Outrigger Wailea, now the Wailea Marriott Resort. Best prices in the area, and as close to the ocean as you can get... it was built before the "rules" to prevent hotels near the shore were implemented.

I say go for a AAA rate if you can. I loved it there!
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 05:37 PM

My vote is for the Sheraton Maui. We were upgraded to an oceanfront out on Black Rock. It was a fabulous room, very large. The staff was not only very friendly, they kept our room spotless. The Sheraton is a four star resort and has a great beach, with snorkeling right there on Black Rock. Be sure to join the Starwood program (it's free) and build up points for upgrades and/or free nights. We stayed 11 nights, 8 of which were free.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 05:49 PM

I would second Carol47' recommendation - she beat me to the punch . I've had the great opportunity to stay twice in the OF rooms on Black Rock (Sheraton Maui) and think they're great - you can definitely hear the ocean waves at night cause you're sitting right above the Ocean. Both times we were able to see green sea turtles swimming below as well as dolphins/porpoises. One of the times we went was March and during that time we saw many, many whales breaching and spraying (granted this wasn't right under our window, but further out in the ocean - but a great view nonetheless). I would highly recommend the Sherton Maui black rock rooms for a really close experience with the ocean.

Cheers,
Tracey
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 11:39 AM

We enjoyed a Prime Ocean View room on the 4th floor of the Maui Prince hotel on Maluaka Beach...we could hear the ocean by leaving our balcony door open and just closing the screen at night. Nice view from balcony. Since the pool is small it's a very short walk to the beach past the pool. The beach is good for snorkeling and my husband saw a turtle (Maluaka Beach). This beach wasn't crowded at all in January. (Beaches up at Kaanapali, where we went for a day-trip, were crowded even in January.)
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 11:58 AM

crazy4Hawaii: You may have violated the author's rights in his copyrighted materials by giving out that password that he sells as his intellectual property. What on earth were you thinking?
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 12:15 PM

"You may have violated the author's rights in his copyrighted materials by giving out that password that he sells as his intellectual property."

If the authors valued their intellectual property that greatly they wouldn't put their code in a book that's sold in every bookstore for every Joe Schmoe to walk in, look at, write down and then use on the internet.

What's the difference between telling the people the code and telling people to go to the nearest Barnes & Noble to pick up the book, turn to page X, and see it for themselves?

If the authors were really interested in the property they could have taken more steps to protect it, like request registration and issue user specific passwords.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 12:22 PM

Lex1 -
NY Jets is right. I'm quite familiar with the law.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 01:31 PM

a little over-reaction there Lex1. anyway, where is sheraton maui located? i was in maui last summer but i never got the chance to visit black rock. i plan on going again, this time i want to see black rock. is sheraton maui expensive? please help. thanks.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 02:07 PM

You don't have to be familiar with the law to know that you can't copyright "MR1101".
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 07:23 PM

I must say, I'm not sure if the posts on this site are more informative or humorous.

Cheap entertainment for sure. You all crack me up. Intentional or not.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 11:59 PM

No one is arguing about "copyrighting a password". However, the authors were seeking to limit access to their copyrighted works through the use of that password. The password is, by design, intended to provide access to buyers of that book to supplement-continue- information in the book["Though most of our Web site is available to all, we thought that these extra reviews should only be available to {our}readers"]. The photographs of various sites (without the copyrighted reviews) are made available to all without the need for a password. Why do you suppose the bifurcated system was devised? Rather presumptuous of someone [giving away someone else's money] to decide for the authors that their efforts ought to be disregarded. And, it's silly to argue that the password system should be disregarded because the work may be viewed in a bookstore. Virtually all materials in a bookstore are copyrighted. The fact that those works are offered for sale there doesn't give anyone a right to disseminate the work in violation of the authors' rights.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 05:30 AM

Wow, I think I heard stirring music playing in the background during that last speech. I've seen the error of my ways and will turn over a new leaf immediately!
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 05:46 AM

kalunchi -
This resort is one of those in Kaanapali situated along the Kaanapali Parkway north of Lahaina. It is just north of the Kaanapali Beach Hotel (I think). It is moderately priced compared to many of the resorts and is often advertising specials. Look on the Starwood Preferred site and sometimes you can get 35% off with a free night.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 07:20 AM

["Though most of our Web site is available to all, we thought that these extra reviews should only be available to {our}readers"].

By your logic you just committed a copyright violation with this post.

What were you thinking posting copyrighted material?

Speak to an IP lawyer (I'm not but know many, including the guy in the office next to me)...I'm not committing a copyright violation by saying random things, like UK2442.

And to your answer your question of:

"Why do you suppose the bifurcated system was devised? "

The answer is because the authors didn't want to make the book any bigger than it was.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 07:44 AM

lex1

Enuf with your bifurcated shiznity. Your ranting ruined this thread. Sheraton Maui can be a bit expensive if you are looking for a 3-4 star hotel. An ocean front condo in honokawai would be good as well.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 07:55 AM
SergioL

Westin or Sheraton, but not Marriott or Hyatt, which are both nice but not as nice.

Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 07:56 AM

NYJ: Thanks for the lesson in "logic". I wonder whether the authors would be more upset by my quote (which I don't acknowledge is an act of infringement), your repeating the same or the act of giving away their work. And, if the only purpose of the password protected system was to make the book smaller, there would not be any need for a password. They could have linked directly from the book to the reviews. Instead, they did so indirectly providing free access to the photos of resorts and required the password to access their commercial property-the reviews of those resorts (the descriptions of which are clearly copyrightable)-expressly attempting to bar a direct link or access by "non-readers" of their book. No one is barring or claiming exclusivity of the use of the password or that series of characters comprising it. The authors are attempting to restrict access to their commercial site through its use.
The authors believe they have a property right worth protecting. If it's misappropriated, they'll likely quit updating the site or charge more for the book.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 08:21 AM

when did "which oceanfront hotel in maui?" turn into a discussion in laws and copyrights? I don't understand a word from those topics b/c I'm just a freak that likes to travel. In particular, I'm crazy about Maui.
When I was in Maui last August, I visited Kaanapali beach and accidentally drove into Sheraton and then we went to the Westin to rent snorkel gears. I think both are really nice. if u can find a good deal in either, i think either one is great. and dont forget to join the trilogy tours, they're awesome.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 11:43 AM

Renaissance Wailea Beach Resort- stay in a Mokapu wing- room is right in front of the walkway that goes from Four Seasons to Renaissance. Couldn't get any closer to the beach and we were treated very nice- You also have your own pool boy, lounger chair and jacuzzi if you stay in that wing