Reload this Page >

sheraton manhattan or sheraton's shame!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 03:28 AM
elef

i spend 2 nights in a club floor room in 08/2002.
in fact the only real difference is that a complimentary continental breakfast(with some bakeries not from the day's oven) is served in a gloomy and dark lounge that used to be ,in the past, an executive floor lounge.
an empty bar completes the decoration.
the hotel's website shows pictures of lounges and accom . that do not represent the reality!(in fact they mix pictures from the sheraton NY)
the building has not been renovated for 20 yrs and has just emerged from a 9 months conversion to offices (for 9/11 relocated corp.)
the rooms and public areas have suffered from this intensive use and the carpets are stained,the furniture scratched.
the rooms are tiny 190 ft includind a used and stained bathroom where even a single person feels uncomfortable.(by the way there is no separate shower stall as the website is pretending..)

there is an apparent lack of on site management as all managers prefer not to leave their office accross the street at the sheraton NY and towers wich is supposed to be the sheraton's flagship.apparently their prime interest is limited into selling a room twice in a day and into russo's restaurant .

there is a swimming pool(not so clean)and its attendant disappears fo long mments... .i noticed that some users were apparently not guests of the two sheraton hotels wich are sharing it.

as for the location, there are several other hotels with better,modern amenities and facilities.

however i must point out the excellent conciege desk and doorman services as the rest of the team lacks of motivation.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 08:20 AM
Jane

Sheratons are dumpy in general IMO.
I never stay at Sheratons, and Starwood is not a great management company either.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 10:17 AM
jef

Elef is right!
Thanks for this post that heps us getting a better value when staying in NYC.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 10:21 AM
Kurt

I've actually had great luck with Starwood properties. In NYC I've stayed at The Sheraton Towers, The Essex House and St. Regis....no complaints whatsoever with those 3 properties. I find their staff very well trained and cheerful.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 10:23 AM
xxx

Not a fan of the Starwood Hotels but this might be this guys first stay ever in a hotel.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 10:04 AM
marco

Topping Elef's post!

I had a similar bad experience in this hotel.

When i asked for a safe (available at the reception desk and not in the room)
I noticed,on a wall of the front desk's backdoor office, one STARWOOD poster with the mention:

'MEMBERS=MONEY'...........!!!!

This is the way they consider their guests or their starwood members.

There is no doubt that with 200-250$ per night you will get a better value in any other hotel .

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 01:59 AM
ttttttttt

topping

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 07:07 AM
Why Ask Why

Hello!!!!!
Why are people whining about being surprised by a bad Sheraton.
Since when was Sheraton ever a Four Seasons caliber type operation?

Sheratons are on the same level as Hiltons and in many cases no better (or not as good) as Hampton Inns as far as accommodations.

Sheraton is NOT A GOOD HOTEL CHAIN!

Where are people getting the notion that it's the Ritz?