Sheraton Albuquerque Uptown

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am still deciding where to stay in Albuquerque for 3 nights in December. I was thinking about Hotel Albuquerque @ Old Town because it is within walking distance to Old Town.
However, I have been looking online and was wondering what the Sheraton ABQ Uptown is like. What is the area like, does it really matter if we're not within walking distance to Old Town.
They have a special - stay for 3 nights & only pay for 2 (which is about half the price of the Hotel ABQ)
Thanks
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 11:39 AM

Stayed at the Sheraton Uptown once. Used to visit a friend in Albuquerque and am familiar with the area, probably driven by the hotel a dozen times or more. It's not a very walkable area or anything, like most of Albuquerque - busy roads, lots of chain restaurants and strip malls, etc. There is some decent shopping in the area - including some sort of newer outdoor mall of the type that has recently been in fashion. Fairly close to I-40. It would take you about 20 minutes to drive across town to Old Town.

The hotel itself was fine, very decent and comfortable as a business-type hotel but nothing special. I got it on Priceline, like many people do, and got a fantastic deal on it (probably paid $45), so I was quite happy to stay there vs. a Motel 6 or something. Probably wouldn't pay full price for it. People bidding in that zone for that level usually get the Sheraton or the Radisson which is on Carlisle a few miles closer to downtown. But you didn't mention Priceline so I'm guessing you don't care about any of that...

I've been to Old Town a few times but don't know the Hotel Albuquerque. I'd check out the Trip Advisor reviews.
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 01:23 PM

Sheraton Uptown is completely refurbished and is quite nice. You can, as Andrew indicated, often get it for around $43 a night bidding on Priceline [3 star, uptown -midtown area]. It is less than 3 minutes off I 40.

We stayed there September 2008 and the rooms are very comfortable and modern now. It is withing walking distance of Coranado Mall, which is a typical indoor mall. But more importantly, it is within an easy walk to ABQ Uptown. This is a brand new shopping center, with many really nice shops and some excellent restaurants.

We also stayed at the Radisson this past spring. We got it for around $43 using the same bid as Sheraton [3 star, uptown - midtown]. It is being redone, but not nearly finished. There are many buildings that are connected, a wierd layout with a big indoor water park being built [est. opening this summer]. There isn't anything walkable with this hotel. It is just off I 40, so that is very convenient.

Hotel Albuquerque - yes, it's near Old Town. I haven't been inside in awhile, big catering facility for weddings, etc. Not sure if it has been remodeled, could be tired roomwise.

I know that a lot of visitors want to stay near Old Town, but personally, I don't think that is a big necessity per se. OF course, as a local, my perspective is different. It is pretty easy to get to Old Town from other areas that have nicer hotels. A nice, modern, updated room is important to me.

Old Town at night in December, except for Christmas Stroll night, will find most places closed by 5 pm. There aren't great restaurants there, so again, perhaps to stay elsewhere.

And for 1/2 the price of the Sheraton, I would pass on Hotel ABQ.

Deb
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 01:43 PM

I am partial to the Old Town area...especially around the holidays. The Hotel Albuquerque really takes on a festive setting that you might enjoy. Absolutely check out the Trip Advisor comments as Andrew mentioned...some pictures of the rooms and hotel have been posted by other guests. Then I would recommend calling the hotel directly and asking to speak to the reservations manager and seeing if they can't match or come close to one of their competitor's offers. Good Luck with your room search for December!
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

I have checked the TripAdvisor reviews. Both of them have pretty good reviews, I think they are rated at #6 and #9.

Deb, Do you have any other suggestions for somewhere to stay?
We are planning on visiting Acoma Pueblo, Museums, Petroglyph NM, and Old Town.
Thanks again for all your help.
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 03:31 PM

I really liked Sheraton Uptown and would stay again, no problems.

Embassy Suites is really nice and convenient, just off I 25 near I 40.

Doubletree Downtown is nice, but you have to pay for parking. Again, about $43 for a 3 stars Priceline bid - downtown area.

There is a nice Hyatt Place near the Sheraton Uptown, not sure on the prices.

There are also quite a few decent places near the airport. Not a get out and walk area, but doable with a car. Courtyard, Hilton, are good.

Hope this helps you. Let me know if I can answer anything else.

Deb

Do you want a hotel or B&B?
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Deb,
Thanks again for your advice.
You know, I'm not really sure if I want to stay at a hotel or B & B. (We are staying at a B & B in Santa Fe and spending more $$ than I normally would, so I am hoping to spend less in ABQ).
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 07:33 AM

I would really go with Priceline in ABQ. 3 star, midtown-uptown area, $43 to start and add to bids using free rebids by adding Rio Rancho as area [there are no 3 stars there, so you won't get one there] then adding Santa Ana Peblo resort [there is a great hotel there, but you won't get it for that low - if you did, you would be lucky!].

You could also add airport area as a free rebid area, if that wouldn't bother you, a 3 star there is decent and it's pretty conveniently located.

Skip downtown area, as you will have to pay for parking.

Deb
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 08:57 AM

Just know that if you bid for a 3-star in Midtown-Uptown on Priceline, you may well get the Radisson (on Carlisle) not the Sheraton. My friend's parents did two separate bids there in May and got the Radisson both times - though for them it was a better location. They were happy with the Radisson (still being renovated in parts) but I think many would prefer the Sheraton, which I believe is the nicer of the two. But if you bid on Priceline using "Name Your Own Price" hoping to get the Sheraton and wind up with the Radisson, you are stuck with it. If you really really want one and not the other, don't use Priceline.
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 09:15 AM

We have stayed at both within the last 8 months, Andrew. And while the Sheraton is much nicer, the Radisson was fine for what we needed - clean room, convenient location and good price.

Deb
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 10:03 AM

I like the Hyatt and the Sheraton. Both are easy walking distance to catch the bus (Rapid Ride #766) that goes down Central Ave (Rt 66) to Nob Hill, which I find much more fun and interesting than Old Town.

See here: http://rt66central.com/
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 10:21 AM

Deb, my friends definitely liked the Radisson and were thrilled with the great deal they got on Priceline. I was just pointing out for someone unlike you and me perhaps not experienced with Priceline that you can't guarantee you'll get any one particular hotel with "Name Your Own Price." If you really want the Sheraton and would be disappointed to get another hotel, I wouldn't use Priceline.