Shell Point/Onset MA

Old Mar 29th, 2007, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shell Point/Onset MA

Hello - I had another post going earlier but I have a more specific location now and was wondering if you could tell me about South Blvd. It's suppose to be across from the ocean and then w. central runs in back of it. Thanks again!
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 03:57 PM

South Blvd runs along a bluff and the beach is down some stairs below, so the house would be across the road looking down onto the beach and out onto the bay. You can walk to just about everything in Onset from this location. It's in an area of nice summer homes - I can't picture a single one on South Blvd that is not nice from the outside (it's a short street and we often walk it after dinner at Mark Anthony's - great pizza). If it has a front porch you will be in a great spot for people watching. South Blvd being one way gets cars "cruising" Onset, but it is not anywhere near as busy as any town on the Cape and the speed limit is only about 20.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 05:30 PM

one more thing - Onset/Wareham might NOT be on Cape Cod, as one poster notes, but it's known as the "gateway" to Cape Cod. Those of us who summer there brag that we don't have to endure the bridge traffic and crowds but still get to enjoy the same beaches and seafood, at lower prices I might add....
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Stellablue - that was most helpful, I really appreciate your response! I feel much better now about renting there. It sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. The particular house I'm renting turned out to be a duplex but I think we're still going to rent it because of the location. Thanks again!!
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 08:35 AM

I never ment to impy that Onset does not have its own charm when I pointed out that it is not on Cape Cod. Many posters do not know about Massachusetts coastal areas and it's always best to make sure they know where they are going to avoid big surprises. We actually lived in Wareham for a number of years....a lovely little cape on Gibbs Ave. But whenever we wanted to get away from the crowds and experience real, uncrowded natural beaches we headed to Eastham and the National Seashore. True, we avoided Friday nights and Saturday mornings for traveling over the bridges, but normal traffic flowed along and more and more dropped of as we headed further down the cape. I am not a big fan of the mid-cape area because in the summer it does get busy especially on a rainy day. But IMO, once you get to Eastham, the smell of salt air and the roar of the Atlantic make any exra travel time well worth it. I have a feeling many of the posters who complain about traffic on the cape have ulterior motives for scaring folks away. Could that be true?
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 07:00 PM

Scare tactics could be true, Yellowbyrd - but not my MO. I love the National Seashore, and mid and upper Cape too. I encourage tahiti070904 to make the trip down cape on a weekday, but aviod rush hour and the Sagamore Rotary.

Frankly I just hate the SUMMER crowds and traffic. And it's gotten much worse in the last 10 years or so.

But if you must know my motivation for posting, I remember when rte 25 didn't exist and the traffic went through on Wareham's Cranberry Highway and Bourne's Buzzards Bay (and some folks knew how to cut through Onset too). After the highway went in, Wareham and Bourne really suffered economically. But there is a renaissance happening in the area, and that's my ulterior motive, I guess. I don't own property or a business (friends do), I'd just like to offer an alternative to pricey, crowded Cape Cod in the summer.

But in the fall....
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 08:03 PM

Onset beaches (Especially Shell Point) are an attractive alternative for many people. The nearby Onset Pier provides Canal Cruises and Fishing Charters and the Park across the street has free music and entertainment during the Summer. There are a number of small inns as well as several B&B's in the area.

There is good news if you are staying here but wish also to visit Cape Cod on a day trip.

The Sagamore Rotary no longer exists. It has been replaced by the Sagamore Flyover. This allows cars coming from Boston and those on the Bourne Scenic Highway to each have their own lanes onto the Sagamore Bridge over the Canal.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 08:12 AM

Yes Gene, my bad. The flyover was completed last Sept. I'll be curious to see what traffic is like there this summer....
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 05:37 PM

Stella... I have been using the "Flyover" several times during the last several months and it's amazing how well it is working. Mass DPW has done a wonderful job in both design and construction.

Of course, the real test will come in the Summer, but I'm convinced it is going to make a big difference.

Traffic will still have to slow down approaching the Sagamore Bridge but will not have to stop as each approach has it's own continuous lane onto the Bridge.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 06:30 AM

I am thinking about renting a house with friends for the first time in Onset. We usually go further up the cape or to Martha's vineyard so I am a little nervous about the beach quality in Onset. Can anybody give me some opinions about what the beaches will be like in that area?
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 10:51 AM

We were just there wandering around a few weeks ago. I tried to answer the OP's original post, but she didn't have enough info then for me to help.

The beaches look pretty nice, but they are basically "bay" beaches and don't look like they would be the place to go if you want to surf. Perfect for kids, I would think. Lots of Victorian houses but very real, not fantasy, if that makes sense. A friend in her fifties said it reminded her of the Jersey Shore of her childhood. A small town, family oriented beach but not a fancy one.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 04:20 PM

Thank you Ackislander. That helps. I grew up going to the Jersey shore (30 years ago) so that does give me a reference point. I appreciate the feedback.