Search

Sharks!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 11:11 AM
Candace

Sharks!

I have found stories about shark attacks along the Florida Gulf coast. We are leaving in 2 days for vacation in St. Pete beach. Should I be concerned about recent reports?

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 11:37 AM
Don't worry

In all honesty, I think you probably stand a better chance statistically of being hit by lightning.

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 11:38 AM
CMcDaniel

Candace...There's been no talk of anything unusual in this area. We were sailing just off St. Pete Beach yesterday--were out for 6 hours and saw nothing more alarming than 3 dolphins jumping clear out of the water in unison ...escapees from Sea World? Don't worry, be happy. gt;

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 11:45 AM
CMcDaniel

Funny..."Don't worry be happy" and I must be on the same wave lengths. I wrote my "don't worry, be happy" without having seen his note. gt;

He/she is absolutely right about the lightning. This area of FL is the lightning capitol of the US. There can be very intense storms for a brief period most every afternoon during the summer. We got in just ahead of a particularly violent one yesterday. Two boaters were hit a couple of days ago--one died.

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 12:42 PM
M.M.

I think you probably
stand a better chance
statistically of being hit
by lightning.
Two boaters
were hit a couple of
days ago--one died.

Well there goes the odds !!!! Now what about the sharks???

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 11:30 AM
joseph cameron

Well, I was just on the beach June 23-26 at Treasure Island, and no sharks. Just fabulous heat and water, and yes, storms in the afternoon, with a lot of lightning. The shark attacks were up north near the Alabama line, I believe. Have fun, and by all means hit the Gulf. And CMD, how was the sailing in that new boat? Fabulous, I bet.

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 11:57 AM
CMcDaniel

Hi Joe...That was a quick trip!! I've got a new restaurant for you...Tampa again...New City Bistro on S Westshore Blvd, just a bit north of Gandy. Got anything new for me? Did try any from the former list?

We had the boat out of the bay and in the Gulf Sunday for the first time. It's heavy so handled waves beautifully. Had a light wind initially ...put up the cruising chute...red, orange and yellow. Neat. Anchored off the Don CeSar, had lunch then just beat the storms in. Coming across the Gandy Bridge after putting our boat up, there was a boat wedged against the bridge, mast hanging partly over the roadway, a silent warning to all not to take those building thunderheads lightly! It was some storm! No sharks though. gt;

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 01:34 PM
Bill

Candace, there are always sharks around the beaches in gulf Florida, mostly Tiger sharks but a few Great Whites venture in too. If you just leave them alone they probably won't bother you, just be careful going out too far. Often times you can feel them under water with your feet, just don't kick around too much and don't go into the water with a fresh cut. Also be careful of the "land" sharks, which occasionally pop up in very shallow water and sometimes right on the beach, they are usually the most dangerous and require instant evacuation from the area lest you be bitten (they can move on dry land at about 10mph). Be careful and have fun in the water.

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 04:41 PM
Paul

Candace,
I wouldn't worry about it. I'm a scuba diver and spent 12 days diving in the keys last May. I saw quite a few sharks, some as large as 10' but I think they wanted to get away from me once they saw me. Granted they weren't Tigers or Great Whites. I always make it a policy to eat shark when I'm on a dive trip. At least it tastes good and makes me feel better. You know what they say, "when you are swimming or diving, you are just part of the food chain".
Paul

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 04:15 AM
J T Kirk

I hate to tell you this, but there are hundreds of sharks just off the coast each and every day. It's just a fact of nature. Take a helicopter or small plane (or shuttlecraft if one's avalaible) and cruise up and down the coast. You would be surprised to see just how many sharks there are, not more than a hundred yards off the beach. Having said that, I think most sharks are smart enough NOT to tangle with a human (we humans, on the other hand, aren't that smart). The press has a tendeny to play up these shark attack stories, and I'm not saying that I don't feel sorry for those who are attacked. It CAN happen. But chances are it won't.