Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Do you have a crystal ball? Will rates go down?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 01:40 PM
Sheryl

Too all who helped me decide to go to New York for the Xmas holidays..Thank you. Now do any of you happen to have a crystal ball?

I have been looking at airfares from Dallas into JFK, Laguardia or Newark for Dec 13- Dec 17. The best fare I have found is $266 per person including all taxes. Like everyone else I would like to find less expensive tickets if possible. Does anyone know what traditionally happens to ticket prices as we get closer to the holiday? Is this a good price and should I grab it or should I wait and expect something better as the time gets closer? I don't really want to bid for tickets on something like priceline because I really need to know flight times before I commit. There is no way I want to arrive at 1:30 in the morning when traveling with a child.

So..help what would you do?

P.S. If anyone out there cares I DON'T hate my inlaws!

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 01:50 PM
howard

IMO that's a very good price! I can't imagine it getting much of any lower during the holiday period. I'd buy the tickets.

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 06:38 PM
Kay

Not a bad price IMO, Sheryl. As you may know, fares have been inflated this year for several reasons, including (#1) fuel prices. You will not likely lose much by waiting a few weeks to keep checking, but I wouldn't expect to get much below $220 without using a consolidator or priceline, etc.
By the way, most airlines will refund the difference if same-class fares decline after you buy and before you depart. Call the carrier you're looking at and ask. If so, and if they're competitive in the NYC market, you've got little to lose.

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 03:38 AM
crystal

The rates will go up. The skyrocketing gas prices have not yet been reflected in air fares widely, but THEY WILL. And your price is excellent -- costs me that much on discounted fare just to get from Raleigh to Boston, a much shorter flight. Take it.

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 04:19 AM
Sheryl

Thanks to all. I went ahead and bought the tickets. I appreciate your thoughts. Be back to get all your advice onthe trip itself! (The fun part!)