Shared bathrooms in NYC hotels.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(This topic comes from another post I did about B&Bs in NYC, but I thought it might help to post it separately).

My daughter and I will be going to NYC for one night during the Christmas holiday, and most of the hotel rooms I looked at were in the $300-400 and up range. My daugher would have been willing to stay in a hostel, but that's not for me at this point in my life, , so I searched for something I considered to be more reasonable. I found Hotel 31 on East 31st near Park Avenue (http://www.hotel31.com/). We are getting a room with two single beds for $150. Everything I read (Trip Advisor, Yelp.com, Virtual Tourist), all mentioned how clean everything was. They also mentioned that the rooms and elevator are small and dated, but I can handle that.

Any comments about this hotel in particular or shared bathroom situations in general?

Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 06:32 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I found out I'm not willing to share a bathroom. I thought I could and tried it one trip (Amsterdam) but it was simply not comfortable for me at all.

This has nothing to do with NYC or that specific hotel, just the general idea. I would stay in an outlying neighborhood or a lesser hotel to have a private bath (no I can't afford $400/night either).

Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 06:50 AM

There is a hotel called the Seafarers Hotel or something like that, that has been highly recommended on another board. Inexpensive.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 07:05 AM

Hi,
I am a casual poster, avid reader! Anyway, a while ago...we stayed at the Habitat Hotel. It was on Lex in a great location. You could pay extra for single bathroom, but it was not much. Worth checking out!

Enjoy NYC.

PS: this hotel is mostly European, if that matters at all. I thought it was cool
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 07:22 AM

Have you thought about priceline? You can probably get something in a nicer hotel for a reasonable price.

Also check out the Sugar Hill Inn on W 143rd ST, just west of Amsterdam Ave. It is very nice, private bath, and well priced. www.sugarhillinn.com. Very close to transportation and in a nice area, called Hamilton Heights. I live just a few blocks from there.

I have walked by Hotel 31 many times, and would not recommend it as a place to stay. It looks like an SRO hotel.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 07:25 AM

Carp, is the Habitat the same as Hotel 57? It seems to come up that way, googling-- 57th and Lexington.

Anyway, I entered dates at random and never found any room there during December for less than $439! Or is the Habitat Hotel something different?

Put me in the group that finds sharing a bath a HUGE sacrifice. Nothing worse than having an appointment or a plan in the morning and having to wait a half hour for the shower -- or going to the bathroom and finding someone had too much to drink last night. Or really having to go, and someone's in there.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 07:28 AM

Sorry I gave you a wrong webaddress, it's www.sugarhillharlem.com.

Also try the Harlem Landmark Inn on W. 147th ST. Also in Hamilton Heights.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

I haven't tried Priceline, although I'll look into that later. I did go on Hotwire.com, but I'm really leary of having a hotel chosen for me.

I think the main problem I'm running into is I'm looking at Dec. 28th, and here it is already Sept. 22. Maybe if we had thought of this sooner....
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 09:44 AM

Priceline is a great resource when hotel shave extra inventory. But, when it look like they'll be full selling themselves they simply don;t give Priceline any inventory to see.

As for Hotel 31 it seems to get mixed reviews and many are from europeans, who , in my experience, expect much less from modest hotels than do Americans.

You can certainly look at betterbidding.com for biddingfortravel.com to see if anyone is getting hotels at a decent price for your dates (which are in high season).

And the huge influx of european travelers isn't bringing rates down.

If you can;t find anything at your price in Manhattan the most convenient place outside is Jersey City. there are a couple of hotels - Hyatt and 1 or 2 more - right near the train to Manhattan - so only a 20 minutes trip - when most hotels in Jersey will be an hour or more.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 10:15 AM

Since your stay is only one night, I'd recommend Priceline or Hotwire. Dates from Christmas Day through before New Year's Eve often are a bargain, compared to dates prior.

I've used Priceline and Hotwire dozens of times for NYC (though stick usually to 4*'s). I think you'd be better off in any Priceline or Hotwire property...

Almost always, if a property is available on Hotwire, Priceline will have it for less, so I'd start there.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 11:35 AM

I just bid on priceline for that date (I'm staying December 26-29) and I got a room at the Tribeca Grand hotel for $200. It gets decent reviews and is near a bunch of subways - it's in the Downtown-Soho-Financial District.

Also, Travelzoo.com has a deal up - $199 or $249/night for the Millennium Broadway. This deal is great because it's cancelable, so you can keep searing for something better.

Definitely study the sites that nytraveler recommends - they are indispensable.