Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Shakespeare in the Park- lining up for tickets

Aug 24th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

I have looked at the Public Theater website and it says the line opens at 1pm (and I read about the virtual line, online).

If we want to do this, any ideas on realistically how early we would need to get there to get tickets (thinking this Wednesday night or Friday night)?

Would we be better to enter the park at 81st and CPW or 79th and Fifth?

Thanks!
Aug 24th, 2009, 07:12 AM

Either side to enter the park is fine, whichever is more convenient for you. It's hard to say about what time to get on line. I tried at 9:15 for 'Twelfth Night' and didn't get tickets. Three days later, in the same spot where I stood, were people who got there at 7:30. But - and it's a big but - that play got good reviews and Anne Hathaway was in it. That makes a big difference. So, I wish I were more helpful, but if you want to do it, go with a back-up plan for the evening in case you don't get tix. It is definitely a NY experience! Good luck to you.
Aug 24th, 2009, 08:29 AM

People start lining up at 7 in the morning - you see lots with beach chairs, newspapers and books setttling in for a long wait.
Aug 25th, 2009, 03:16 AM
Original Poster

Wow. That takes some serious commitment to getting tickets. I would never have imagined that. Thanks.
Aug 25th, 2009, 04:44 PM

Well - it's world class theater and it's free. And NYC is full of people that love theater. I've heard of people lining up at dawn when someone really special was performing.
Aug 25th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Wish me luck with the on-line line lottery!
Aug 26th, 2009, 05:32 AM

For the record - Last Friday evening - the fates aligned for me - actually afternoon. It was a HOT, sticky day and I was done at Grayline early - I actually entered the Park around 1:10 and the line was moving - I joined at the end and got tickets.

While it rained quite a bit in the afternoon and early evening and they held the curtain (well they don't have a curtain - i mean the start) - Once the show started, it didn't rain. Almost wish it did since there was lots of thunder built into the show -- and my section was in smellivision - someone near me had an open huge glass of wine which went perfectly with a play about dionisys (or however you spell it)

I love Delacorte productions good or bad they are ALWAYS interesting and fun - Summer can now end
Aug 26th, 2009, 07:12 AM

In addition to Central Park, they give tickets out at the Public Theater on Lafayette Street just south of Astor Place. Although not as scenic, I have found that the line is a little shorter downtown. But you still need to get there no later than 9am if you want a seat.
Aug 26th, 2009, 07:54 AM

Newsie and others:
FYI they no longer give out tickets at the Public Theatre downtown. They stopped doing that last year while the building was under renovation, and this year they also decided that distribution would only be in the park or through the "virtual line" online
Aug 26th, 2009, 11:03 AM

What I learned this year is that your best bet in seeing a play in the park is to go during the first two weeks BEFORE it is reviewed. Btw, it was reviewed yesterday but I haven't read it yet.